Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 4,433,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's also referred to as "Rodizio".
That's the word I know.

Yummy food either way. Very interesting part of Newark. So bustling and thriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:56 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
It's also referred to as "Rodizio".
There is a difference though.

Rodizio is Brazilian. And those are the places that keep bringing you meat until you turn the disc over from green to red. Either that, or until you pass out from a food coma.

Churrascaria is basically the Portuguese word for, a place that serves BBQ. It can be rodizio style, but it doesn’t have to be. It can just be a regular BBQ restaurant.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Rodizio is Brazilian.
Yes, and the main thrust of the OP's questions had to do with Brazilians in The Ironbound--hence my response.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Yes, and the main thrust of the OP's questions had to do with Brazilians in The Ironbound--hence my response.
Your post made it appear as if you thought they were synonymous. If that is not what you meant, then I apologize.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:11 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Your post made it appear as if you thought they were synonymous. If that is not what you meant, then I apologize.
Apology accepted!

Old 08-16-2019, 11:35 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
I curious how this neighborhood developed. Why that location surrounded by so much poverty? One would thank any new middle class immigrants will follow the other middle class and go to the suburbs.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:53 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,452,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I curious how this neighborhood developed. Why that location surrounded by so much poverty? One would thank any new middle class immigrants will follow the other middle class and go to the suburbs.
It's always been Portuguese since the 40's I believe if not earlier than that.

Ironically, enough the neighborhood was the poorest in Newark at one time.

However, as the exodus of middle class people in the 60s and 70s in Newark followed, the Portuguese kept pouring into the Ironbound because there was already was a community there.

I read that during the riots, the Portuguese businesses were protected by the mob and that's why the Ironbound didn't go downhill like other neighborhoods, like Weequahic, where most of the Jewish businesses left.

I am not sure if this is true though.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
i feel like one day one of those guys holding the meat and giant knife are going to slip and stab someone right in front of me. hopefully nobody at my table.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

However, as the exodus of middle class people in the 60s and 70s in Newark followed, the Portuguese kept pouring into the Ironbound because there was already was a community there.

I read that during the riots, the Portuguese businesses were protected by the mob and that's why the Ironbound didn't go downhill like other neighborhoods, like Weequahic, where most of the Jewish businesses left.

That is funny, why mob care more about Portuguese businesses than any other? Apparently all the other white ethnicities including Italian left for greener pastures.

I hope the new movie Many Saints of Newark touches on this, and goes into the Ironbound.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 PM

56 posts, read 52,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

Its not... the train tracks acted as a barrier so it was easy for the police and national guard to block the rioters from crossing over to the Ironbound... it's the same reason most of North Newark didnt suffer the same way the central, west, and South Wards suffered as those neighborhoods dont have many barriers keeping them separate from the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey