Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 AM

53 posts, read 45,268 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house in NJ (hopefully all goes through smoothly!) which has a long driveway set back further than other houses on the street. You can't even see the front door from the street. The letter mailbox is at the street. My question is, will packages be brought to the front door or left on the curb? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I don't know anyone with a property like this and have only lived in apartments and townhouses before.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,418,673 times
In my experience packages are delivered to the door, usually left on the porch. If they do fit in the mailbox they'll be shoved in there, but otherwise no packages are left by the street.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
It depends on how lazy your mail carrier is. My parents live in a house like this and usually the packages are brought to the door.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 AM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagoodneighbor2 View Post
We are buying a house in NJ (hopefully all goes through smoothly!) which has a long driveway set back further than other houses on the street. You can't even see the front door from the street. The letter mailbox is at the street. My question is, will packages be brought to the front door or left on the curb? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I don't know anyone with a property like this and have only lived in apartments and townhouses before.
Why not call the Post Office and ask them?

Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 AM

53 posts, read 45,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
In my experience packages are delivered to the door, usually left on the porch. If they do fit in the mailbox they'll be shoved in there, but otherwise no packages are left by the street.

Okay that was what I was thinking and hoping. Haha 'shoved' is so true. On more than one occasion I had to use pliers to pull open a box stuck in a multi mail box. I pulled open the package with the pliers, took out the book, and then extracted the rest of the box. Annoying but thank goodness for tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
It depends on how lazy your mail carrier is. My parents live in a house like this and usually the packages are brought to the door.

Ok that's what I was thinking, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Why not call the Post Office and ask them?

In a perfect world, but I do enjoy City-Data for all the personal answers. City-Data is a great website!

Thanks everybody!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:49 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
If you have a rural mail carrier, if the parcel is too big to fit in your box, they will bring it to your house. If it is really big or heavy or if the driveway is blocked by snow or otherwise, they will leave a notice that you can pick it up at your local the post office.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
They'll drop it at the mailbox unless they don't in which case they might put it at the front door or they may just put up a notice and then you have to go to the PO to get it.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 AM

189 posts, read 262,237 times
Is your driveway gated? I have a very long and steep driveway, around 175'. You actually cant see the garage from the street, but the mail is left at the mailbox but all packages are dropped at my garage door, or my front door.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM

480 posts, read 480,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
If you have a rural mail carrier, if the parcel is too big to fit in your box, they will bring it to your house. If it is really big or heavy or if the driveway is blocked by snow or otherwise, they will leave a notice that you can pick it up at your local the post office.
We are a 1/4 mile off of the road and this is how our carrier handles it. We use an extra large rural mail box similar to this one:

We do a lot of Amazon Prime orders so they cram whatever they can into the box along with the mail (which is quite a bit) but for larger packages most of the time they will come down the lane and leave them in the barn or on the porch. I say most of the time because there have been occasions where they were left next to the mailbox, but that's only happened once or twice-not sure why. UPS will come down the lane for anything but FedEx is a crapshoot. They have a million different divisions (FedEx Home Delivery, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, etc...) each with different drivers. We've found FedEx packages left in the ditch beside the mailboxes, in the bushes halfway down the lane, and on the hoods of our cars

Old 10-09-2019, 06:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagoodneighbor2 View Post
Call and speak to the postmaster that delivers to the new home and ask about your concerns.

Contact FedEx and UPS too, and see what their policy is.

What you don't want to do, is move the mailbox only to find out the post office won't delivery your mail until you move it back. It seems each area has their own rules. I know a guy who relocated his mailbox and the post office contacted him and said he had to move it back, which he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey