Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Free college is also not new, since if you come from low income you can go to CUNY for free.
As long ago as the late 1920s, tuition was free at CUNY, regardless of one's income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 11:42 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
That's because NYC has one board of ed and one police dept and most services shared. NJ is like Long Island, where all the services are divided.

Now I prefer NJ share more services because taxes are too high and services aren't getting better. The only way to reduce cost is to consolidate.

NYC's free lunch is not new, they've had it for a long time just had income limits. Free college is also not new, since if you come from low income you can go to CUNY for free.
NYC public school lunch is not anything to brag about anyway, it's barely edible

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2019, 12:12 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,654,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NYC public school lunch is not anything to brag about anyway, it's barely edible
It’s on par with any school lunch anywhere else I’ve been. Who brags about school lunch anyway?

Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Get rid of lunch debt, Elizabeth Warren says, pointing to N.J. district’s ‘cruel’ policy

I personally think the school food should just become free since our taxes are so high. School lunch cost me about $200/month for my kids and we always pay on-time. In order to qualify for free lunch your household has to make below $28k annually.

The main problem I see with NJ is that too many families don't pay and run up their debts and some never bring school supplies. I estimated I spent about $300 on school supplies last month. My son tells me that some kids in his class never bring in supplies and always have no pen or notebook and the teacher just keeps a supply of some supplies for these kids. And they always seem to be of certain demographics.

Now, if you go to the parking lot to pickup my kids. Many of these kids' parents are driving late model cars. So how is it these parents can't afford lunch and school supplies but they can afford their cars and iPhones?

I can understand you need a car in NJ but there's no life requirement that you must have an iPhone.
school shouldnt offer any lunch. the only reason why parents dont provide their kids lunch is because they see no point if the school is going to provide it. idiots think that they are saving the kids lives when they are really just taking the job of the parent.

so no lunch.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:17 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,097,394 times
The lunches got healthier but the vendor still offers kids a moronic choice of either healthy, cooked option or sweets/junk food. Which option do you think they chose? At least in elementary school...

So we pack lunch for him most day from dinner left overs. Not always 100 % healthy but definitely warm, home cooked food...

Old 10-23-2019, 01:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
The lunches got healthier but the vendor still offers kids a moronic choice of either healthy, cooked option or sweets/junk food. Which option do you think they chose? At least in elementary school...

So we pack lunch for him most day from dinner left overs. Not always 100 % healthy but definitely warm, home cooked food...
everyone has their own opinion of what is healthy. i think its a joke to be lectured on healthy food by a bunch of chubsters. nowadays you dont have to be healthy to pretend to be an expert, you just have to eat some organic stuff.

i see the silliest posts on the local facebook page on this issue. some people want them to offer meals including fish, quinoa, organic blah blah. do they want the lunch lady to force feed the food to the kid also? i would like to just tell them that if they arent satisfied with the options then just send their kid with their lunch. but the people who suggest that get told that they are tooo busy to do that. your kid, your responsibility. dont try to manipulate the school because everyone else has their opinions also.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It’s on par with any school lunch anywhere else I’ve been. Who brags about school lunch anyway?
Well that's my point, you should be able to brag about it, even if its free. Why wouldn't I want my kids to eat healthy food? They bring food from home.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2019, 03:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You get what you paid for. I don't need the 8.6% sales tax. That's where the lunch money comes from.

I know NJ schools depending on township definitely has better meal options because the town often change vendor based on parent feedback.

I think parents all should pack lunch because this GMO crap is causing allergies and weakening immune system.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,637,073 times
Stop giving illegal aliens millions and feed the kids for free. Simple solution.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:35 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,264,547 times
Quote:
You get what you paid for. I don't need the 8.6% sales tax. That's where the lunch money comes from.

I know NJ schools depending on township definitely has better meal options because the town often change vendor based on parent feedback.

I think parents all should pack lunch because this GMO crap is causing allergies and weakening immune system.
The free or reduced lunch (and breakfast) program is paid from federal funds and it is for qualified low income children or for schools which have a majority of low income families. It was established in the 1940s and breakfast was included in the 1960s. There are nutrition guidelines that the school must follow.
For 2019, a family of 4 making less than 48k is eligible. I think the district can also get food from the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey