Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 07:39 AM

69 posts, read 162,759 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a single mother who has lived In New Jersey before, and is relocating back as my company has given me a solid promotion, which will now be housed in headquarters. I actually have a few offers, and they are ALLL in North Jersey. All roads seem to lead back here, all good opportunities for me professionally seem to be here! My baby was born in NJ (he’s a toddler now) and so, we’re coming back.

When I lived here previously, I was just a single girl, and was a renter! I’ve been gone for a bit and looking at rental prices for what I would like seems ridiculous given that it looks like we are going to be here for a while...and now, it’s not me, it’s we!

I’m looking to buy now, but I’m a first time buyer just embarking on the process. I’ll graciously accept any candid advice.

Where are you coming from? Toronto, Canada
Why are you moving? Substantial job promotion
Where will you be working ?
East Hanover/Whippany/Madison area. There MIGHT be a need to access NYC for work but that is not the focus.

Will you buy or rent? Buy

What is your budget ?
(Perhaps stupid) I’m not sure! Salary is in the $180-$200K range.

What kind of place are you looking for ?

I wouldn’t mind a townhouse, but the idea of giving my baby a cute little home sounds appealing. I don’t want a lot of acreage as it will be me doing the work to shovel, mow, maintain. A little garden would be nice.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Young child, age 2.

Do you need/want good public schools? Not at the moment but we will soon, yes!!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc):

First, ethnic diversity. We are black, and I need to see other black people around, as well as others. I feel VERY strongly that my son not be all alone, the sole black child, in school and extra curricular activities. This isn’t negotiable. I’m willing to compromise a tad on schools to ensure that we are comfortable living where we are. I am educated and resourceful and can take steps to make sure he gets what he needs to succeed. This is why I’m not considering Madison, Whippany, Chatham, etc...

Safety is paramount. I work long hours sometimes and travel for work, we need to know home is okay when we’re not there and getting in late isn’t going to put us at risk either.

When I’m not an executive, I appreciate art, museums, books, independent films, language....so it would be nice to have access to that.

I also would like there to be young families around. Mommy friends that are where I am with this are invaluable. Further, as little one gets older I want him to have friends and be part of a community playing sports, clubs, whatever he might be into.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Family oriented, with some culture. Downtown area with shops and restaurants where I can become a regular. I will have a car so walkable is nice but not a requirement. Safe, but not necessarily pleasantville. I won’t pass out if something goes awry but I don’t want crime to be the norm. It doesn’t need to be brand new construction but I’m not trying to take on a gut job either. I can’t think of anything else!

Cities I was looking at: Montclair, Bloomfield, Fair Lawn, Nutley.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DiamondCoffee; 11-10-2019 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: The rest of the message was cut off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:43 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
What--exactly--is your question?

Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 AM

The whole thing is not getting posted!! Let me try thing again!

Old 11-10-2019, 07:52 AM

Can you see it all now?

Old 11-10-2019, 08:43 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
I believe youre on the right track for the towns youre looking in. I would also add in Maplewood to your search.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I believe youre on the right track for the towns youre looking in. I would also add in Maplewood to your search.
Doesn’t Maplewood border Irvington? I feel concerned about that!

Old 11-10-2019, 02:04 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCoffee View Post
Doesn’t Maplewood border Irvington? I feel concerned about that!
Yes, I personally don't know Maplewood, but I have a friend who grew up in Irvington and Newark. She was living in Maplewood, and her son got into some minor trouble as a young teen, graffiti maybe, but she felt as if that mess was encroaching and was having none of it because she'd worked too hard to rise up out of there.

She sold her house fast and bailed down to Howell and raised her kids there. Howell won't be a good location for you for your job, but with your salary you can find a good, similar environment in which to raise your son.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:02 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Montclair, South Orange, Maplewood, and Morristown are probably your best bets. But you really need to figure out your budget. You make a very good salary but we don’t know what your monthly obligations are.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I would rent for a year or two. That will give you enough time carefully choose a school district and town, neighborhood. You also need to learn how to buy a house. You don't want to make a $750,000 mistake.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:30 AM

141 posts, read 243,876 times
South Orange/Maplewood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey