Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

Based on my driving experience after driving through rush hours in areas of NJ that I never typically drive during a rush hour in throughout my past, I basically noticed how bad rush hours can be and I basically learned the science behind it. This basically applies to the same reason why NJ got gridlocked last Snowvember 2018. It's basically reaction rates (not a Jersey thing). When you have traffic lights, it basically screws up the traffic. When the light turns green, it becomes a domino effect where the driver behind another will react within 0.5 to 1 second. I drive through places like Route 10 for example where the rush hour can be really bad due to traffic lights.

Do you think NJ rush hour traffic could be alleviated if we had bridges to support our modern rush hour traffic rather than traditional at-grade intersections? Having traffic lights to worry about also means roads can slightly increase their speed limits too.

Speaking of bridges, I remember one of you posted a picture in one of my threads, which explains what NJ would look like if it didn't preserve land, but even we have preserved land, I feel like NJ rush hour traffic could be better if we used height to build bridges.

Not saying bridges should be built, because that would be a huge project, and we don't really need bridges since there are not enough white collared 9 to 5 / 8 to 4 jobs for young people out here to make the rush hour traffic grow way more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 08:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
what if NJ had more passenger rail service and rail lines taking people off the roads because they are all going to the same place 5 days a week?

More room on the roads for NJ cars.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
you mean overpasses at intersections? of course it would be better than intersections shared with pedestrian traffic but it would be impractical and expensive to build, if it's even possible in a brownfield scenario.
the solution is self driving, networked autonomous cars. they accelerate (and begin accelerating) at the same rate at the same time, eliminating the according affect.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:41 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
What if we just banned cars altogether? They (and too many of the people who drive them) cause too many problems.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:54 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
more infrastructure to maintain and repair

Somerville circle had an overpass installed.

It simply mover the traffic jam further down rt 202S.

the circle remained and optical illusion to a person entering the circle or making a right is quite dangerous as it appears the car in tha circle is going south on 202 while instead it remains on the circle.

NJ traffic engineering leaves a lot to be desired; aside from the cosmically erroneous predictions of cost and time to complete.

the density of traffic is downstream of towns stacking up people in condos where there are no roads to service the increased traffic. Towns figure, overbuild and the county or state will have to respond with a solution.

Hillsborough has a super highway to nowhere. for instance.

Super highway rt 18 east ends on a two lane river road leading to 287.

We can all cite dangerous intersections, exit and entrance ramps.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
what if NJ had more passenger rail service and rail lines taking people off the roads because they are all going to the same place 5 days a week?

More room on the roads for NJ cars.
Literally this. People who say that we have to fix traffic before we focus on public transit are literally missing the entire point. Without safe, efficient, frequent mass transit, traffic will never improve.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:04 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
The only people who really care about mass transit are people who commute to NYC (and some who work in NJ and perhaps cannot afford a car) . And that’s like 4% of the population. Face it, people are not giving up their cars. I kept mine even when I worked in NYC and I would never give it up.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The only people who really care about mass transit are people who commute to NYC (and some who work in NJ and perhaps cannot afford a car) . And that’s like 4% of the population. Face it, people are not giving up their cars. I kept mine even when I worked in NYC and I would never give it up.
Ok then suffer in traffic lol. There's no other alternative unless you want every inch of land paved by a giant superhighway.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
I’m actually not at all bothered by traffic. I’ve got Spotify and an extensive list of podcasts to keep me entertained. I’ve lived in dense cities my whole life so I know nothing else. The only time traffic is a nuisance to me is when it’s unexpected. For the most part, you can plan for traffic. Sitting in my car in traffic is much more enjoyable than riding a cramped bus/train.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:29 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Exactly. Mass transit is only efficient when you have a large number of people that need to be moved to the same place at the same time (like NYC). Public transportation is simply not effective in a suburban setting. Just look at the train stations we have now. There is a waiting list for parking at just about every NJ Transit rail station. Even if you built more train stations, people still need to get themselves from their home to the station, so they have to drive. And then when they get to their city of destination, how do you solve for the "last mile"? You still need to get from the destination train station to your office, school, or any place of employment. Even with traffic it is almost always more convenient to drive unless you are going to a big city like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey