Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 01:51 PM

131 posts, read 137,622 times

Advertisements

I think I've done my homework but don't know if there's anything I'm missing. I asked my lawyer but it's not something he does. He suggested I do it myself.

I closed on my house Dec. 2019. Purchase price is 650k. Equivalent assessed value is around 750k after dividing my tax assessment by the 2020 common level ratio for my town. This puts me just over the 15% threshold for an appeal. I got really lucky here, if I had paid 3k more, I probably wouldn't qualify for an appeal.

Comps, I have 4. I searched the property tax website and verified that none of them are marked as non-usable.

2 similar ranches to my house (also a ranch), one adjacent to my house the other across the street. Same number of rooms with same finished basements. They sold for 635k and 640k Sep 2019.

The best option for the other comps seem to be 2 split levels about 1/3 mile from my house but in different neighborhoods. They have same number of rooms but no finished basements. Basements are also smaller. Both sold for 630k, on Mar 2019 and July 2019. Would these be considered good comps?

I have downloaded all the pictures from the online property listings and will submit it with my appeal along with a summary statement.

At this point, it's been simple enough. So simple I have myself wondering what's the catch? Law seems to be clear, I think I have a very good chance of getting a 15% reduction on my property tax. Would the tax board give you a harder time if you do it yourself vs having an attorney? I'm in Union county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 03:04 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
The catch is there probably isn't a catch. All it's cost you is your time so see what they say.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
I think I've done my homework but don't know if there's anything I'm missing. I asked my lawyer but it's not something he does. He suggested I do it myself.

I closed on my house Dec. 2019. Purchase price is 650k. Equivalent assessed value is around 750k after dividing my tax assessment by the 2020 common level ratio for my town. This puts me just over the 15% threshold for an appeal. I got really lucky here, if I had paid 3k more, I probably wouldn't qualify for an appeal.

Comps, I have 4. I searched the property tax website and verified that none of them are marked as non-usable.

2 similar ranches to my house (also a ranch), one adjacent to my house the other across the street. Same number of rooms with same finished basements. They sold for 635k and 640k Sep 2019.

The best option for the other comps seem to be 2 split levels about 1/3 mile from my house but in different neighborhoods. They have same number of rooms but no finished basements. Basements are also smaller. Both sold for 630k, on Mar 2019 and July 2019. Would these be considered good comps?

I have downloaded all the pictures from the online property listings and will submit it with my appeal along with a summary statement.

At this point, it's been simple enough. So simple I have myself wondering what's the catch? Law seems to be clear, I think I have a very good chance of getting a 15% reduction on my property tax. Would the tax board give you a harder time if you do it yourself vs having an attorney? I'm in Union county.
You run the risk of them not doing anything, or just lowering it like $200.00 a year, or take a harder look at your situation and determine your property taxes need to be increased.

If you really want to do this, I would go have a discussion in-person with the attorney for the township and ask about the procedure. They might be able to tell you if it is worth your time going forward or not, and if you should hire an attorney to represent you in this? It should be a real estate attorney, not just any attorney.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:48 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Do you know what the assessed values of the comps are?

Old 02-27-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You run the risk of them not doing anything, or just lowering it like $200.00 a year, or take a harder look at your situation and determine your property taxes need to be increased.
Can they just arbitrarily do this or will they have to give a reason?

Old 02-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Do you know what the assessed values of the comps are?
Yes, but as I understand it, the assessed values of the comps don't factor in at all, only the true market value.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:23 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I say go for it. I did it successfully, but it was a condo, so I had near-exact comparables.

In my county, you get a date to go in and defend your claim if they don't automatically OK it. I went in, and it was interesting eavesdropping on the discussions.

I was the last one there, but not on their list. Turns out my appeal was approved without a challenge but the system was down and I wasn't notified. I didn't complain.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:33 PM

That is encouraging to hear. What county are you in? For me the 15% is about a $2k difference. I have a hard time seeing it get approve just like that.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
That is encouraging to hear. What county are you in? For me the 15% is about a $2k difference. I have a hard time seeing it get approve just like that.
Monmouth. Again, I have a condo. My taxes are around $4k. My difference was only around $600, but i was happy to get it. Yours may be bit more complicated. Just make sure you did your homework, because they have.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-27-2020 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 07:34 PM

53 posts, read 63,281 times
Do it. Its easy and in many places they assume people will do it and many just don't. I went through it and it was pretty easy. The week of my court date they just called me and said we will lower it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: