Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
To learn something would be to actually take seriously what you write.
I simply laugh at whatever you write.
then you should be thanking me since they say laughter is the best medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think I am almost guaranteed to get it, eventually. Hoping it’s not too bad. When we have a suspected or positive case, we cover ourselves head to toe, with N95 masks, etc. But what about the patients that aren’t suspected or positive? I still have contact with a lot of people every day. My advice, if you dont need surgery, put it off for a few months, even if the surgeon tells you not to worry about the virus.
Hey, stay healthy, AnesthesiaMD. Will be thinking of you.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
If you didn't get the regular flu the last few years and have not had your shots then you are probably going to be ok. While Corona can be caught easily, it is still a cold virus. I've haven't had regular flu shot the last 10 years. I've only had 3 flu shots and not annually the past decade. I've caught the flu only once.

The most important thing is to always wash your hands and it still alarming how many people don't wash hands after the restroom and before eating hand foods.

While Corona spread is headline stuff, the regular flu is over 500k death around the world annually and nobody seemed to care. It still kills people with flu shots. So whether you will die or survive depends on your current health.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:36 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, stay healthy, AnesthesiaMD. Will be thinking of you.
Thank you!

Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
health care workers dont have much ability to stay away from people. the DOH has had to change its guidance from the other day when they realized that they would quickly run out of health care workers if everyone quarantined if they encountered a PUI.
Yes, that is a problem. If we keep on quarantining everyone for 14 days that has had contact with a test-positive patient or staff member, we will soon have nobody left. When tests are more available, it will cut the quarantine down to 3 days. We are still not testing anyone who doesn’t show symptoms.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yes, that is a problem. If we keep on quarantining everyone for 14 days that has had contact with a test-positive patient or staff member, we will soon have nobody left. When tests are more available, it will cut the quarantine down to 3 days. We are still not testing anyone who doesn’t show symptoms.
I'm not sure that testing is going to solve all our problems. I could get tested right now and show negative. I go out grocery shopping an hour later and pick up the virus. Now I'm positive but I'm living my life under the impression that I'm negative. So how do you really know when to self isolate and when it's safe to stop?

Old 03-19-2020, 02:48 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm not sure that testing is going to solve all our problems. I could get tested right now and show negative. I go out grocery shopping an hour later and pick up the virus. Now I'm positive but I'm living my life under the impression that I'm negative. So how do you really know when to self isolate and when it's safe to stop?
I don't really think we'll be able to be completely safe until a vaccine is available for everyone.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't really think we'll be able to be completely safe until a vaccine is available for everyone.
because nobody dies of the flu. what is better than a vaccine that barely helps? a vaccine rushed into production that barely helps.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM

that thought piqued my curiosity and i wonder how deaths of the flu has changed over time. i found one graph but i would like to spend more time finding better ones (would love if someone else found something). i also want to see if i can find data specific to nyc. i remember that at some point (my googling quickly found 2009) new york mandated flu shots for health care workers. i would love to see some data on flu deaths before and after that was implemented.

here is the one i found:

Old 03-19-2020, 03:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that thought piqued my curiosity and i wonder how deaths of the flu has changed over time. i found one graph but i would like to spend more time finding better ones (would love if someone else found something). i also want to see if i can find data specific to nyc. i remember that at some point (my googling quickly found 2009) new york mandated flu shots for health care workers. i would love to see some data on flu deaths before and after that was implemented.

here is the one i found:
It's a between 300k-600k in the US annually. CDC website. I know we're panicking over Corona but it has the potential to overtake the Flu because it is a cold virus (easier to catch) and ability to cause flu like symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey