Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 06:39 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I personal think this school year is done.

And unfortunately, NJ school is not ready or willing to do online learning.

Out of all my kids teachers, only one teacher did I online learning. It is my son’s music teacher. All other teachers just assign homework over Google classroom.
What do you mean by "online learning"? Do you mean a teacher doing live instruction by video conference? You're never going to see widespread use of that because there will always be some kids that don't have access to the required equipment (internet access and/or computer). My kids use Google classroom and they have only been assigned enough work to keep them busy for about an hour per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
It's difficult with parents also working from home to do synchronized learning via video, and frankly, having 20 little boxes on the teachers screen is a difficult ask. Right now the teachers were asked to basically come up with two weeks of work, most of which has been review, as we haven't been getting into new ideas.

But I would suspect they've been using these two weeks to figure out a better way to get lesson plans out there and get resources like Chromebooks and internet into those who need it. I am assuming recorded lessons and homework to be assigned for some asynchronous learning to fit into the parents schedules as well. It's not going to be the standard six hours but a compressed variant of that to get everything in they can this year as best they can this year for the foreseeable future. This is not ideal but it's not ideal for anyone right now and we're all muddling through as best we can.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:30 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Wow. I feel so lucky with our school district. We ARE doing online learning. When the teachers aren't using Zoom, they've posted videos of themselves going over the lessons and every one of them is available for video chat during their 'block' if a student has questions. Only once or twice since last week has it just been an assignment over Google classroom. The kids have to take video of themselves doing assigned phys. ed. exercises with a 30 second time lapse and send it in for gym.

I think one family worked out shared wifi with a neighbor (probably with help from the district supervisor or someone in town, but not sure). I have no formal data on how many of our kids don't have internet access, but if there are others, something has been done to solve the issue. Would be interesting to find out.

If it looks like summer programs will close, I think we'll start to see TONS of push-back from the people. At some point, we're going to have to face the fact that if you try to lock people in for too long, they're going to start getting squirrely. Short of an approved vaccine or other effective treatment, government is going to have to find the line between protecting and risking riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey