Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 02:35 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
According to the most recent polls, the majority of US voters do not want to rush into the "re-opening" of the country:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...poll-says.html

NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll

HA - HA - HAHAHA!

Liberal source, not reliable.

Hypothetically, if I linked a FOX News poll you would probably say the same.

A neutral source is needed, then I would believe more whatever the outcome is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 03:22 PM

195 posts, read 135,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Exactly. Until we get widespread testing, we can’t reopen.
testing doesn't cause the virus to disappear, immunity via natural or vaccine is the only solution. If u wanna wait for a vaccine to open up, then ur going to have alot more problems then COVID. Civilization as we know would likely collapse/degrade if we wait till next year.EVERY MAN AND WOMEN FOR THEMSELVES

viruses have been around before humans...and over thousands of years we have evolved defenses to fight them at the cost millions of lives, your ancestors have died for your immunity ..... your not going to beat viruses hiding in the house or "washing ur hands". Eventually someone is going to bang down ur door and take the food ur hoarding in hiding... Its not nice but humans are capable are harsh things when the have too

what if the truck drivers go into hiding, or the cops go into hiding,grocery workers or the food processing plants shutdown. Somethings just cant be shutdown at all. And economic activity and civilization must exist for these people to be paid or sustained

there is am Xmen carton episode on this btw for my foxkids generation

Last edited by Cptjcz; 04-19-2020 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 03:38 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Exactly. Until we get widespread testing, we can’t reopen.

I keep hearing people talk about this but I just don't understand the logic. There are over 300 million people in this country, they'd need to be tested EVERY SINGLE DAY for it to matter. Even just going to the testing facility warrants needing another test the next day. It would be a never ending cycle since so many cases are asymptomatic.

What we really need are antibody tests. Find out how many people have had it. If we find out pretty much all of NYC has had the virus already then we'll be in the clear.

The standard tests aren't going to tell us anything, I could have had the virus last month but will now test negative. I could test negative today, but was infected at the test center, so now I go visit my grandmother because I'm convinced I'm negative when in fact I'm now spreading the virus. I think the talks about lack of testing is much more about politics then science to be honest.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:46 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I keep hearing people talk about this but I just don't understand the logic. There are over 300 million people in this country, they'd need to be tested EVERY SINGLE DAY for it to matter. Even just going to the testing facility warrants needing another test the next day. It would be a never ending cycle since so many cases are asymptomatic.

What we really need are antibody tests. Find out how many people have had it. If we find out pretty much all of NYC has had the virus already then we'll be in the clear.

The standard tests aren't going to tell us anything, I could have had the virus last month but will now test negative. I could test negative today, but was infected at the test center, so now I go visit my grandmother because I'm convinced I'm negative when in fact I'm now spreading the virus. I think the talks about lack of testing is much more about politics then science to be honest.
I was including antibody testing. I was also assuming the tests were actually accurate. Both highly unlikely at this point. I was talking about inclusive, intelligent, scientifically proven testing. And without it we can’t reopen safely much more than we are now.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjcz View Post
testing doesn't cause the virus to disappear, immunity via natural or vaccine is the only solution. If u wanna wait for a vaccine to open up, then ur going to have alot more problems then covid. Civilization as we know would likely collapse/degrade if we wait till next year.every man and women for themselves

viruses have been around before humans...and over thousands of years we have evolved defenses to fight them at the cost millions of lives, your ancestors have died for your immunity ..... Your not going to beat viruses hiding in the house or "washing ur hands". Eventually someone is going to bang down ur door and take the food ur hoarding in hiding... Its not nice but humans are capable are harsh things when the have too

what if the truck drivers go into hiding, or the cops go into hiding,grocery workers or the food processing plants shutdown. Somethings just cant be shutdown at all. And economic activity must exist for these people to be paid or compensated

there is am xmen carton episode on this btw for my foxkids generation

Old 04-20-2020, 05:19 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Here in Pennsylvania the schools are shut down for the year so I would not expect NJ to open them up either. What's the point of opening for 4 weeks?

And I agree with the above posting, the first places to be re-opened should be barber shops / hair cutting businesses.
They have a lot to figure out when it comes to schools. There is currently no way to get the desks far enough apart for most schools to be able to re-open. They need to do something like Taiwan, where they have barriers around the desks, but of course states are already broke from this. Quite a dilemma.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:24 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll

HA - HA - HAHAHA!

Liberal source, not reliable.

Hypothetically, if I linked a FOX News poll you would probably say the same.

A neutral source is needed, then I would believe more whatever the outcome is.
The Wall Street Journal is a liberal source??

Old 04-20-2020, 05:35 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

The NBC News part, yes.
The WSJ - questionable?

Old 04-20-2020, 07:41 AM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
When it comes to schools, Gov Murphy really seems like he will try hard to reopen. In fact one of the school districts I follow in Union County on facebook actually posted that they are going to begin Yearbook orders online with the hope that the students can get them and sign each other's yearbooks once school reopens again. I know that many of you are against schools reopening, but there is also a large push from the NJEA to get them reopened before the end of June, if it is safe by then. Many teachers (especially younger grades) really want to see their students in person one last time. Also, high schools really want to give their final exams in person to avoid cheating and provide students' schedules for September to avoid September chaos. I would not be surprised if some districts are allowed to open for the last 3-4 weeks of the school year, probably on a staggered schedule. It is also very possible since the infection rate is really starting to improve dramatically this past week.

I also agree with some above posters that our economy MUST reopen fairly soon because we simply cannot function as a state or country financially if this continues much longer. We are quickly approaching the point where lockdowns will be causing much more damage than the virus itself. But but but...people are dying! Well, although it is sad, people die from a tbousand other things besides this virus every day....thats LIFE!

One last note, since I started this thread on Reopenings, I'd like to point out that NJ, NY, and CT have already reopened private marinas for boating. Therefore, reopenings have already began. I am sure in the next two weeks, they will reopen something else. It will be slowly phased in, until all non essentials are reopened by early or mid June according to latest news on NBC and ABC.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey