Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:14 AM

1,151 posts, read 863,547 times

Advertisements

I realize it is early, but since the Governors of both NY and NJ have both hinted that they have a re-opening plan in mind for when the time is right, I figure there should be an optimistic thread on here to discuss our opinion and facts on when, how, and in which order everything eventually gets the green light to reopen. Facts we already know is that it will be a slow process, in phases. Gov Cuomo of NY says he will re-assess the situation to begin re-opening on May 15. Coincidentally our Gov has recently extended school closures until at least May 15, but has said that he really wants to try hard to reopen schools by the end of the school year if at all possible.

Some unanswered questions: Will the Gov coalition actually choose schools as the first to reopen? If not, which type of businesses will they reopen first when the time is right? How long will it take to reopen everything (once the reopening process begins), aside for large concert venues (which most likely won't reopen at all until there is a vaccine)? How long can small businesses afford to stay closed until the point of no return? Lastly, will NJ be able to enjoy this summer at all, even if we have to follow social distance guidelines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 11:21 AM

4,184 posts, read 5,068,642 times
I'd say the first things to reopen should be dentists and barbers/hair salons. Those providers can wear masks/PPE and still do their jobs safely.
Next would be to allow all types of construction.
I think (hope) that by June 1, the medical capacity should be high enough to handle any mini-spikes. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that remdesivir is a solid treatment option.
I'm fine with continuing social distancing & wearing a mask.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:28 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Here in Pennsylvania the schools are shut down for the year so I would not expect NJ to open them up either. What's the point of opening for 4 weeks?

And I agree with the above posting, the first places to be re-opened should be barber shops / hair cutting businesses.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:30 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,153,672 times
For logistical reasons I don't see how any of the businesses at the shore will be able to open this summer. These businesses need lead time to ramp up for the season - hiring staff, ordering supplies, food, etc. Now is the time when that needs to happen to be ready for summer. You can't just unlock a door and be ready to go. No business is going to hire people or order supplies with so much uncertainty around if or when they would be able to open. It was also mentioned yesterday that NYC pools will be closed for the summer, and likely the beaches too. So if you "do the math", all those people from NYC would be flooding into NJ pools and beaches which is exactly what we don't want. As they have been saying all along it will have to be a coordinated effort across the whole region.

As for schools opening, I just don't see that happening this year. Calling out the May 15th date is just a way to buy time to officially close them after that.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:35 AM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And I agree with the above posting, the first places to be re-opened should be barber shops / hair cutting businesses.
+1
... as long as they are prohibited from using the same brush to remove stray hairs from everyone's face.

When we moved from NYC to NJ in the '50s, my mother was shocked to see that NJ barbershops used the same soft brush over and over on every customer's face, while that type of practice was prohibited by the NYC Dept of Health. And, despite the passage of several decades, that unsanitary practice still holds true with many shops.

The last time that I had my hair cut (in late February), I was prepared to tell the barber to stay away from my face with that oft-used brush, but--to her credit--she only used a paper towel to clear stray hairs away from my face. But... will all barbershops be as health-conscious if they are not forced to be?

Old 04-17-2020, 11:44 AM

195 posts, read 135,975 times
Stagger the openings as per CDC, based on density. The more dense the business type, the more stagger, the less dense the less stagger.
No permanent government restrictions, private sector has opportunity for optional restrictions after a defined date.
Mask in open spaces should be staggered out, as to detour criminal or other illicit activity.
Have a plan to mitigate resurgence or a so called 2nd wave, BUT do not broad base close business. Stick to rational and commons sense mitigation and do not take action based on media hype.
Examine the data fairly and do not inflate the data for any purpose. There no such thing as "zero" cases
Herd immunity is very important to keep any virus in check. Some people must get sick, to shield other from sickness.
Have measurable timelines and goals to provide certainty and confidence. No open ended timelines.
Have a plan for next pandemic, that does not involve broad base shutdowns.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:02 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,648,437 times
The problem with keeping schools and daycares closed it that is makes it nearly impossible for families with two working parents to return to work. Regardless of what the official guidelines are, I don't see myself changing by habits much other than visiting some friends in family. I don't see myself sitting in a restaurant for dinner at least for a few more months.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:07 PM

195 posts, read 135,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
Stagger the openings as per CDC, based on density. The more dense the business type, the more stagger, the less dense the less stagger.
No permanent government restrictions, private sector has opportunity for optional restrictions after a defined date.
Mask in open spaces should be staggered out, as to detour criminal or other illicit activity.
Have a plan to mitigate resurgence or a so called 2nd wave, BUT do not broad base close business. Stick to rational and commons sense mitigation and do not take action based on media hype.
Examine the data fairly and do not inflate the data for any purpose. There no such thing as "zero" cases
Herd immunity is very important to keep any virus in check. Some people must get sick, to shield other from sickness.
Have measurable timelines and goals to provide certainty and confidence. No open ended timelines.
Have a plan for next pandemic, that does not involve broad base shutdowns.
get rid of the "blue laws" and liquor license restrictions and any other provision that makes NJ especially noncompetitive business wise. Let them breath and recover

Old 04-17-2020, 12:15 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,068,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
get rid of the "blue laws" and liquor license restrictions and any other provision that makes NJ especially noncompetitive business wise. Let them breath and recover

Indeed.

The only thing Christie did right when he was Gov. was allowing auto sales on Sundays (temporarily) after Sandy. Both buyers & sellers liked that alot.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:19 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,153,672 times
I wonder how much business barber shops will lose. Many people have been buying hair clippers and doing their cuts themselves. The last time I went to a barber shop was back in 2009. I have saved thousands of dollars over the years by doing cuts myself, and it's great being able to do it on my own time and not having to drive somewhere and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey