Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 12:07 PM

332 posts, read 174,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why did you send your kids to school when you knew it wasnt safe to do so prior to the schools closing?
of course at the time I was not aware how unsafe it was. I never said I knew it was unsafe in early March. But I would expect a higher standard from elected officials who are responsible for the safety of the public.

why did NJ and NYC wait far longer than California and San Fran. some politicians can help save lives while others help cost lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 01:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
of course at the time I was not aware how unsafe it was. I never said I knew it was unsafe in early March. But I would expect a higher standard from elected officials who are responsible for the safety of the public.

why did NJ and NYC wait far longer than California and San Fran. some politicians can help save lives while others help cost lives.
what do you think that he knew that you didnt know when you decided to send your children into an unsafe situation?

Old 04-29-2020, 02:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
what do you think that he knew that you didnt know when you decided to send your children into an unsafe situation?
Hahaha. Don't you know how much smarter politicians are than the rest of us peasants? They knew about this last August and they didn't do a thing. Blood on their hands! /s

I took my kids out the Wednesday prior to it being announced by Murphy. Knowing what we do at this point, I would send them back if schools were to open mid-May. They're not going to be open, though.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
It is obvious Murphy was asleep on the job causing lives to be lost. Too passive

Old 04-29-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Knowing what we do at this point, I would send them back if schools were to open mid-May. They're not going to be open, though.
What do you know that would make you send them back?

Old 05-02-2020, 12:56 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am against opening up the schools, because it is pointless at this point in the school year. I would prefer to see business up and running. Of course not all businesses at once. I dont think the movie theaters should be rushed to open any time soon, but I certainly dont see why I cant go to a golf course and play by myself. Restaurants should be able to open reasonably soon, but they should probably have restrictions on how many people are allowed in at a time, in order to keep people more separated.

But schools? No. I have 3 children in grades 5, 8, and 11 who have been taking their classes at home, and they are learning just as much as they did when they were in the physical building. What is the point of sending them back 1 month before the end of the school year? It may cause the virus to spread again, and there is no benefit that I can see, economic or otherwise.

When an option has only possible negative effects with no possible positive effects, I typically dont choose that option.
I agree opening schools and movie theaters is pointless anytime soon, and should not be one of the early ones to open. But I'd include even dine-in restaurants. One can still support a restaurant via do a take-out still.

However, I am unsure how parents handle when they are required to go back to work and nobody can look after the kids when those kids would otherwise be in school, or camp I suppose over the summer.

I'd like to see barbers/haircutting establishments open as I think they are more essential, but I realize that there is risk. Maybe 5 minute haircuts, no shampoo service, appointment only and establishments at low capacity, quick-in and out, and PPE given to the hairdressers, if there is enough.

I also think malls, department stores and big boxes, downtown retail, could open but there would have to be social distancing measures, fewer entrances opened - limiting the groups, all required to wear face masks, plexi-glass at the registers like at the grocery stores, and more emphasis on curbside.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:56 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I agree opening schools and movie theaters is pointless anytime soon, and should not be one of the early ones to open. But I'd include even dine-in restaurants. One can still support a restaurant via do a take-out still.

However, I am unsure how parents handle when they are required to go back to work and nobody can look after the kids when those kids would otherwise be in school, or camp I suppose over the summer.

I'd like to see barbers/haircutting establishments open as I think they are more essential, but I realize that there is risk. Maybe 5 minute haircuts, no shampoo service, appointment only and establishments at low capacity, quick-in and out, and PPE given to the hairdressers, if there is enough.

I also think malls, department stores and big boxes, downtown retail, could open but there would have to be social distancing measures, fewer entrances opened - limiting the groups, all required to wear face masks, plexi-glass at the registers like at the grocery stores, and more emphasis on curbside.
He must have read my post about the golf courses.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:17 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:

Huh? What kind of lousy haircut are you getting in 5 minutes? Plus, once you’re exposed to someone, I doubt the length of time you’re around then has much of an impact. I wouldn’t pay for a 5 minute haircut. I used to get haircuts every 10 days so just the mention of rushing my next haircut is highly offensive lol

Old 05-04-2020, 08:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
I'd like to see barbers/haircutting establishments open as I think they are more essential, but I realize that there is risk.
its impressive that people believe that they have a right to tell other people not to do business because there is a risk. if there is a risk of someone getting sick from a haircut then whose decision is it on whether or not to take that risk other than the person cutting the hair and the person getting their hair cut?

my wife has been cutting my hair for a long time now, 10+ years. so not an issue for us.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:04 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:

Yes, exactly. No one cares about struggling parents stuck at home trying to work and help kids navigate Google classroom. And what will happen when we are asked to go back to the office, especially if there are no summer camps? I guess baby sitters will became more expensive than lawyers

And it is a myth the especially elementary school children learn well from just reading essentially reference materials and short on-line classes. They are not used to learning this way and this makes the whole learning process less efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey