Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 06:39 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I agree on all points, except #1. This undoubtedly varies from one town/county to another, but in my area of Somerset County, most of the police vehicles don't even have their radar turned on at this point.

Speaking of Bentleys, last summer I had the misfortune to encounter a new-ish Bentley Continental on I-287. The driver--who appeared to be in his 80s--was driving at 55 mph in the center lane, while the traffic traveling at the prevailing 65-75 mph had to do last-minute evasive maneuvers in order to avoid hitting that rolling roadblock.
Unfortunately, I think a lot of older people feel safer driving in the middle lane than the right lane.

That aside, it is nice to know he is enjoying his final years of existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I guess you just don't know Philly drivers.
They would beat the NY drivers for being awful IMO.
I lived in both NYC (50.5 years) and now Philly (going on 8 years) market areas of NJ from my experiences to compare.
That doesn’t make him wrong though. There are different levels of “awful”.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:48 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That doesn’t make him wrong though. There are different levels of “awful”.

It doesn't and what I said was IMO.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:02 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Unfortunately, I think a lot of older people feel safer driving in the middle lane than the right lane.
That aside, it is nice to know he is enjoying his final years of existence.
Yes, but his enjoyment could be quickly terminated if he is hit by an 18 wheeler while he is obstructing traffic by driving 10 mph under the speed limit in the center lane.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
I was driving in the right lane going 75 and had to move across because too many incoming cars. Middle lane is actually slower so I was able to weave in and out from middle back to right. Sunday, parts of GSP actually had pretty tight traffic it wasn't as bad as normal months but there are enough traffic to cause bottlenecks that required some speeding to get around. What I noticed a lot even in normal times is that slower cars doing under 65 tend to tailgate more than people who drive fast. I always see groups of cars doing below 70mph almost one car distance behind another and door to door next to other cars. Requires weaving around to get around these tailgaters. So it's not just fast cars tailgating others, it's the slow people tend to be very close to each other too.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
it's not just fast cars tailgating others, it's the slow people tend to be very close to each other too.
It's not unusual to be traveling on an almost-deserted highway, only to come upon a cluster of slower cars that are tailgating each other. Aside from the obvious safety issue of tailgating, I have to wonder if this conga-line effect on an otherwise empty road is the result of insecurity on the part of those drivers.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's not unusual to be traveling on an almost-deserted highway, only to come upon a cluster of slower cars that are tailgating each other. Aside from the obvious safety issue of tailgating, I have to wonder if this conga-line effect on an otherwise empty road is the result of insecurity on the part of those drivers.
I read a great book about traffic patterns a long time ago, back when I was really into motorcycling. It was written by a traffic engineer. It was so long ago, the name escapes me now.

This phenomenon is common, and it is solely caused by a person or people in the left lane who are not passing people in the other lanes. That is why there are left lane laws in many states. This “bunching” of cars is more likely to lead to accidents than people speeding in the left lane. The left lane is supposed to be a pressure relief valve, allowing traffic to disperse along the highway. The farther that cars are apart from each other, the less likely an accident will occur, regardless of speed.

Which is bringing back memories of another interesting point the book made. If you are one of those “polite” people who approaches a merge, and you move over as quickly as you can, just to be polite, then you are causing traffic to be worse. According to the book, traffic will dissipate faster, if people “filter” to the shortest line possible in the merge. But some people feel like they are cutting the line, so they try to enter the longest line of the merge, long before they reach the back of the shortest line. So you are actually doing everyone a favor, by not being “polite”.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 AM

357 posts, read 125,506 times
I agree with that, people have to be more deliberate when they drive. No one is trying to cut anyone off and ruin their day, but the faster we move with more intention without confusion, traffic moves, and there's also less accidents. Some accidents are caused by confused and tentative drivers.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
Some accidents are caused by confused and tentative drivers.
+1
A couple of years ago, I was attempting to exit from the parking lot of my local post office, and I had to brake very hard to avoid being hit by a vehicle coming directly at me. The elderly female driver rolled down her window, pointed to a sign, and shouted... Look at the sign! Do Not Enter!
The sign was facing toward her, not in my direction.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
I agree with that, people have to be more deliberate when they drive. No one is trying to cut anyone off and ruin their day, but the faster we move with more intention without confusion, traffic moves, and there's also less accidents. Some accidents are caused by confused and tentative drivers.
its my general belief that most accidents are from poor drivers not aggressive drivers. i use the term "driving scared" to refer to people who seem overwhelmed by driving and are nervous and can be easily confused with road situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: