Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,016 times

Advertisements

We live in Kinderkamack rd, River Edge, NJ and the NJ Transit train is like 50 ft back of our house. Every time the train is passing our house, it hits the annoying loud horn for like 10 seconds, sometimes even during middle of night! It's very annoying, and we hear the train's loud horn like 15 times a day or so... hard to sleep at night!
I know it's our fault that we lived where train is passing... but can't we call the train place or someone to tell them to stop hit the horn, because no one is even walking to pass to other side that the train really needs to warn people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
You should contact city hall and see what they say to do. You'll probably have to organize a petition and get all your neighbors to sign to get any action.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
We live in Kinderkamack rd, River Edge, NJ and the NJ Transit train is like 50 ft back of our house. Every time the train is passing our house, it hits the annoying loud horn for like 10 seconds, sometimes even during middle of night! It's very annoying, and we hear the train's loud horn like 15 times a day or so... hard to sleep at night!
I know it's our fault that we lived where train is passing... but can't we call the train place or someone to tell them to stop hit the horn, because no one is even walking to pass to other side that the train really needs to warn people!
LOLOL, I don't think you can stop them from "hitting the horn". They are required to blast the whistle in different situations, the most common being when approaching a grade crossing (street) when you will hear two long, one short and one more long blast.

Unless they are just saying "hi" to you.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOLOL, I don't think you can stop them from "hitting the horn". They are required to blast the whistle in different situations, the most common being when approaching a grade crossing (street) when you will hear two long, one short and one more long blast.

Unless they are just saying "hi" to you.
this is true. they have to blow the whistle at stoppings and certain other places.

Sorry to say, but you are most likely out of luck.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
The town of Montclair has stopped the whistle from 7pm-7am. good luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM

336 posts, read 1,295,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
You should contact city hall and see what they say to do. You'll probably have to organize a petition and get all your neighbors to sign to get any action.

Good luck.

This can be done, it was done on Inman Ave in Edison.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
It seems that you would have to establish your area as a "quiet zone".

This area did it....but it took them several years! Trains whistles will go silent in Edison, N.J.'s first 'quiet zone' - NJ.com

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
The town of Montclair has stopped the whistle from 7pm-7am. good luck!

Until some idiot gets hit and if they survive will sue because there was no warning horn

Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,447 times
Wasn't it in RE beginning of this week that a fatal accident happened when a train hit a straphanger near the trainstation? I suppose the train-engineers might pull a little extra on the horn after a deadly incident.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
I also hear a train throughout the day but it doesn't bother me, the only time it bothers me is sometimes at night when out of nowhere it makes that 1 second "poofff" loud as a son of a ***** it's enough to make an old man fall out of bed and have a heart attack. I still think it's all cool though. I use to live near a freight train as well but it was further away, I loved the sound of it in the distance at night roaring over the sound of trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey