Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
What's going on in Portland is out of control and ridiculous.

They ARE marked.
They are not. There are identified some sort a para military soldiers that bar deputized. They are not any official military or police group. Are the equivalent of the Soviet secret police. This is not America what’s going on in Portland right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 07:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
just wanted to let you know i wanted to rate your post positively, but city data prevented me from doing so and gave me this message: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to vision33r again.

apparently i need to redistribute reputation points to others before i can hand over more to you. sorry, man. it's only fair (?).
I just had a random open conversation with a black guy in public about BLM in a NJ transit train. He agrees that white people are using BLM to make them look worse. He doesn't support the current direction of BLM anymore, he says originally it was good holding cops accountable. But now, it is being used by white liberals to destroy cities and make it look like the black people are doing this. Whether you believe me or him, it doesn't matter because I enjoy speaking to real people.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just had a random open conversation with a black guy in public about BLM in a NJ transit train. He agrees that white people are using BLM to make them look worse. He doesn't support the current direction of BLM anymore, he says originally it was good holding cops accountable. But now, it is being used by white liberals to destroy cities and make it look like the black people are doing this. Whether you believe me or him, it doesn't matter because I enjoy speaking to real people.
wow, how generous of you to talk to a black person! and how amazing that you found a black person to agree with you somewhat!

white people get so excited when they find a black person that agrees with them.

the cause of holding cops accountable didnt just disappear, its still there and critically important.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:15 AM

109 posts, read 125,442 times
just be aware that when you defund the police, the Feds will have lots of "police" that do not necessarily live in your area ready to go when things get worse. would you rather deal with the beast that you know or the demon that has even less accountability.

BLM's founders have admitted to being Marxists. Marxists loooooove secret police and creating the conditions to activate them.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
just be aware that when you defund the police, the Feds will have lots of "police" that do not necessarily live in your area ready to go when things get worse. would you rather deal with the beast that you know or the demon that has even less accountability.

BLM's founders have admitted to being Marxists. Marxists loooooove secret police and creating the conditions to activate them.
i think that they should come up with a better phrase than "defund the police" because that isnt what anyone involved wants. "reform the police" "reinvent the police" or something. defund is more catchy but it scares the crap out of old boomers who worship police and think that black people will come and rob and murder them if they didnt have the police.

right wingers love secret police also. both sides love police when they are enforcing something they want enforced.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
We live in Ocean County and I bike up and down all the blocks around our house. I see a few hundred Trump signs, all lives matter, blue lives matter and not 1 BLM sign. No Biden signs either. I guess if I went to Camden it would be the opposite.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:07 AM

607 posts, read 554,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that they should come up with a better phrase than "defund the police" because that isnt what anyone involved wants.
You're simply wrong. Defund the Police WAS the goal for many early on. Its meaning was magically changed to something different than the literal meaning because so many people on the left and the right were rightly outraged at the suggestion.

However, many did want and still want the police literally defunded.

"Last weekend it became the occasion for public condemnation of Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. He appeared at a protest in his hometown to confess his shame over “my own brokenness, my own failures” and also the failures of his city’s police department.

All well and good, said one of the protesters. (Not in those words.) The mayor’s brokenness aside, the relevant question was: “Will you defund the Minneapolis Police Department?” After a pause to make a slight adjustment to his drooping face mask, Frey said, “I do not support the full abolition of the police department.”

“All right,” replied his questioner, “then get the **** out of here.” Which Frey did, through a gantlet of shouting protesters that recalled Cersei’s walk of shame in Game of Thrones."

(Emphasis mine)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...y-mean/612904/

"Majority of Minneapolis City Council commits to dismantling city's police department"
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tment-n1227116

"Yes, we mean literally abolish the police" (Paywall)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

Old 07-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
You're simply wrong. Defund the Police WAS the goal for many early on. Its meaning was magically changed to something different than the literal meaning because so many people on the left and the right were rightly outraged at the suggestion.

However, many did want and still want the police literally defunded.

"Last weekend it became the occasion for public condemnation of Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey. He appeared at a protest in his hometown to confess his shame over “my own brokenness, my own failures” and also the failures of his city’s police department.

All well and good, said one of the protesters. (Not in those words.) The mayor’s brokenness aside, the relevant question was: “Will you defund the Minneapolis Police Department?” After a pause to make a slight adjustment to his drooping face mask, Frey said, “I do not support the full abolition of the police department.”

“All right,” replied his questioner, “then get the **** out of here.” Which Frey did, through a gantlet of shouting protesters that recalled Cersei’s walk of shame in Game of Thrones."

(Emphasis mine)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...y-mean/612904/

"Majority of Minneapolis City Council commits to dismantling city's police department"
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tment-n1227116

"Yes, we mean literally abolish the police" (Paywall)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html
i cant get to the NY Times article and the atlantic piece is just the opinion of a crazy boomer purposely misinterpreting the situation.

the other one discusses dismantiling the police in its current form and replacing it by something better.

so stop lying.

"In an interview with NBC News, Councilman Jeremiah Ellison said the council would work to disband the department in its "current iteration."

"The plan has to start somewhere," he said. "We are not going to hit the eject button without a plan, so today was the announcement of the formulation of that plan."

Speaking earlier during a community meeting, council President Lisa Bender called the city's relationship with the department "toxic" and vowed to "re-create systems of public safety that actually keep us safe."

Old 07-22-2020, 10:08 AM

607 posts, read 554,767 times
Quote:
i cant get to the NY Times article and the atlantic piece is just the opinion of a crazy boomer purposely misinterpreting the situation.

the other one discusses dismantiling the police in its current form and replacing it by something better.

so stop lying.

"In an interview with NBC News, Councilman Jeremiah Ellison said the council would work to disband the department in its "current iteration."

"The plan has to start somewhere," he said. "We are not going to hit the eject button without a plan, so today was the announcement of the formulation of that plan."

Speaking earlier during a community meeting, council President Lisa Bender called the city's relationship with the department "toxic" and vowed to "re-create systems of public safety that actually keep us safe."
Ok let's recap. You said:

Quote:
i think that they should come up with a better phrase than "defund the police" because that isnt what anyone involved wants.
With 30 seconds of searching I found several examples of that very thing. There was no "lying" involved, only actual example of what you claim "isnt what anyone involved wants."

The first example is an entire crowd deriding an elected official for dislike of the phrase “I do not support the full abolition of the police department" suggesting the crowd or a large vocal part of it wants this very thing.

The NY Times article says this explicitly...i suspect you can find a paywall workaround if you cared to be educated on the topic (you don't seem to be though).

And the Atlantic is an opinion piece...someone relevant enough to be given that space to write an opinion saying specifically what you are claiming "no one" is saying.

You're wrong.

Accept it.

Move on.

Grow up.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Ok let's recap. You said:

With 30 seconds of searching I found several examples of that very thing. There was no "lying" involved, only actual example of what you claim "isnt what anyone involved wants."

The first example is an entire crowd deriding an elected official for dislike of the phrase “I do not support the full abolition of the police department" suggesting the crowd or a large vocal part of it wants this very thing.

The NY Times article says this explicitly...i suspect you can find a paywall workaround if you cared to be educated on the topic (you don't seem to be though).

And the Atlantic is an opinion piece...someone relevant enough to be given that space to write an opinion saying specifically what you are claiming "no one" is saying.

You're wrong.

Accept it.

Move on.

Grow up.
you did not find that.

a crowd yelling at someone doesnt represent anything.

the opinion piece means nothing. find me quotes from people stating that they favor elimination of police and zero law enforcement to replace them.

i pulled the quote i posted right from your link. nobody is actually looking to fully eliminate law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey