Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 03:19 AM

131 posts, read 221,365 times

Advertisements

I just started working for DoorDash + Uber eats delivering food and I'm considered an independent contractor. Since I have to buy my own health insurance now where do I begin shopping for the best/cheapest plans? I did visit several sites to compare plans but what happens is many different agents start calling with offers and I don't know how to determine who's got the best rates. Is there a reasonably easy way to compare rates without talking to agents on the phone? Are there local agencies i can go to that aren't tied to just one or a few insurance companies?
How to get the best deal?

Btw I tried getcovered.gov and the plans shown after I typed in all my information was twice as high as a similar plan quoted by an agent who called after visiting a generic site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 06:04 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
I just started working for DoorDash + Uber eats delivering food and I'm considered an independent contractor. Since I have to buy my own health insurance now where do I begin shopping for the best/cheapest plans? I did visit several sites to compare plans but what happens is many different agents start calling with offers and I don't know how to determine who's got the best rates. Is there a reasonably easy way to compare rates without talking to agents on the phone? Are there local agencies i can go to that aren't tied to just one or a few insurance companies?

Btw I tried getcovered.gov and the plans shown after I typed in all my information was twice as high as a similar plan quoted by an agent who called after visiting a generic site.
The plans are subsidized on Getcovered.com. Did you put your estimated income in? I put $45,000 in and my share was $323 a month for a $700 a month plan, at age 58.

Agents are not going to be able to give you subsidized plans and there's not plans that aren't already easily found online. Go to ehealthinsurance.com and it will give you every plan available in NJ plus costs.

The exact same plans will be on GetCovered.gov but with subsidies. I don't know if I would trust that agent. I don't understand why you're getting calls from agents, but frankly I wouldn't trust anyone who called me out of the blue.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:32 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
To get ACA subsidies, you must select a Silver plan.

https://getcovered.nj.gov or the direct link : https://nj.gov/getcoverednj/

In prior years, plans were purchased on HealthCare.gov but starting for 2021, NJ has its own website.

The cutoff for getting subsidies in 2021 is $51,040 if you file as single.
Use your 2020 or 2019 income when signing up.

I have bought insurance under ACA since it started in 2014.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post

Now you'll realize why gig work doesn't pay. You can make $1000/wk but even with the ACA subsidized plans you may have to spend hundreds a month on healthcare, if you have a family it may cost close to $1000 depending on the level of care. Going through Uber you may save a few but it is still quite high to support a family. You have no 401k options other than your own so all the quick cash you get mount to very little money you keep.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Now you'll realize why gig work doesn't pay. You can make $1000/wk but even with the ACA subsidized plans you may have to spend hundreds a month on healthcare, if you have a family it may cost close to $1000 depending on the level of care. Going through Uber you may save a few but it is still quite high to support a family.
$1000 / week = $52,000 year.

file Schedule C
the insurance can be deducted as a business expense

$32.60/month with a $200.00 deductible (based on $18,000.00 income)
my friend who works at Home Goods

Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
ACA/Obamacare is always there for health insurance. For 2019, average health insurance premiums are $1,403 per month for families of four who don't qualify for subsidies under the Affordable Care Act, according to a report released today by eHealth. Deductibles average $7,000 with this average plan though.

Total cost for the year, $25,000.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
To get ACA subsidies, you must select a Silver plan.

https://getcovered.nj.gov or the direct link : https://nj.gov/getcoverednj/

In prior years, plans were purchased on HealthCare.gov but starting for 2021, NJ has its own website.

The cutoff for getting subsidies in 2021 is $51,040 if you file as single.
Use your 2020 or 2019 income when signing up.

I have bought insurance under ACA since it started in 2014.
Are you sure about the silver plan? I have blue cross omnia bronze via ACA and the NJ website gave me a subsidy amount for that plan for next year.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
ACA/Obamacare is always there for health insurance. For 2019, average health insurance premiums are $1,403 per month for families of four who don't qualify for subsidies under the Affordable Care Act, according to a report released today by eHealth. Deductibles average $7,000 with this average plan though.

For a family of four to not qualify for a subsidy, their MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) would have to be over $103,000 / year .

Old 11-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Its the same plans that are available on the private market tnough, they aren't more expensive plans on ACA. Just health insurance is way too much. Its a generous cap though, that family of four can earn up to $103,000 to qualify for subsidies.

NJ residents cannot get coverage on ACA marketplace this year, we have to use the NJ GetCovered website now.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Are you sure about the silver plan? I have blue cross omnia bronze via ACA and the NJ website gave me a subsidy amount for that plan for next year.
hmmm. I will have read up more on this.
I always chose Silver because I was told I wouldn't get a subsidy otherwise.

This is good news if I can choose Bronze plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: