Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 08:25 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
i went to an Asian place is Flushing with a work friend. There was one other white guy in the restaurant besides us. I got vegetable and shrimp dumplings, but he got chicken feet. I declined to try them.
When offered one by a co-worker when they were on a break at work, my son ate the chicken foot. There's a bit of meat on them. It would be like eating a chicken wing without the upper meaty part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,686 times
I think most towns will have one or two "good" -- and that's a relative term -- "red sauce" Italian restaurants. It will be a decent, reliable place, where you can go and the food is good compared to the local pizza place in town, etc. Nothing special, but OK. I am sure most people get this and know these places.

Now, on the other hand -- excellent Italian food? Aside from the authentic vs. non-authentic discussion, personally, I think there are very few excellent, top notch Italian restaurants in NJ. No, I don't think every town has one. Of course all of this is subjective in nature. Who likes what? Some people like chocolate, some people like vanilla, and some don't like ice cream! LOL.

That said -- my favorites in NNJ, off the top of my head -- and I don't know if these are open, still open, etc.; but my list includes, Dimora (Norwood), Savini (Allendale), DiPalma (North Bergen), Scalini Fedeli (Chatham), Justin's (Hawthorne), LuNello (Cedar Grove), and for classic, old school, Arthur Avenue/Bronx kind of place, Rudy's (Cliffside Park, just make sure you order the calamari).

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-05-2021, 08:24 AM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I think most towns will have one or two "good" -- and that's a relative term -- "red sauce" Italian restaurants. It will be a decent, reliable place, where you can go and the food is good compared to the local pizza place in town, etc. Nothing special, but OK. I am sure most people get this and know these places.

Now, on the other hand -- excellent Italian food? Aside from the authentic vs. non-authentic discussion, personally, I think there are very few excellent, top notch Italian restaurants in NJ. No, I don't think every town has one. Of course all of this is subjective in nature. Who likes what? Some people like chocolate, some people like vanilla, and some don't like ice cream! LOL.

That said -- my favorites in NNJ, off the top of my head -- and I don't know if these are open, still open, etc.; but my list includes, Dimora (Norwood), Savini (Allendale), DiPalma (North Bergen), Scalini Fedeli (Chatham), Justin's (Hawthorne), LuNello (Cedar Grove), and for classic, old school, Arthur Avenue/Bronx kind of place, Rudy's (Cliffside Park, just make sure you order the calamari).

Good luck and enjoy!
I've passed Savini a million times. Was never there, though.

Many, many years ago, a bunch of people went after work to Rudy's (that's how long it's been there--this had to be nearly 40 years back). I had never heard of calamari but got talked into trying some (fried). It looked absolutely disgusting, but I was pretty toasted, so I tried some. I wanted to GAG at the sight of it, but I ate it to be nice. The sauce helped me get it down.

Never ever again until this past year when I got a hot appetizer plate from an Italian-Portuguese place near me and there were some rings of calamari included. It was completely different--no breading, very tender and tasty, and there were none of those creepy tentacle things.

There probably aren't very many high-end Italian places around, but on the other hand, I don't think most people are looking for fancy schmancy when going for Italian. Just good food.

However, I did remember this place because my daughter worked as a hostess there one summer. It's in Ocean Township, though, not North Jersey.

Piccola Italia

I remember she had one regular couple who brought their own wine even though the restaurant has a wine list, and they happily paid the $50 corking fee.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I've passed Savini a million times. Was never there, though.

Many, many years ago, a bunch of people went after work to Rudy's (that's how long it's been there--this had to be nearly 40 years back). I had never heard of calamari but got talked into trying some (fried). It looked absolutely disgusting, but I was pretty toasted, so I tried some. I wanted to GAG at the sight of it, but I ate it to be nice. The sauce helped me get it down.

Never ever again until this past year when I got a hot appetizer plate from an Italian-Portuguese place near me and there were some rings of calamari included. It was completely different--no breading, very tender and tasty, and there were none of those creepy tentacle things.

There probably aren't very many high-end Italian places around, but on the other hand, I don't think most people are looking for fancy schmancy when going for Italian. Just good food.

However, I did remember this place because my daughter worked as a hostess there one summer. It's in Ocean Township, though, not North Jersey.

Piccola Italia

I remember she had one regular couple who brought their own wine even though the restaurant has a wine list, and they happily paid the $50 corking fee.
Thanks. Yes, Rudy's has been there a very long time -- over 30 years. Don't let walking into the place and seeing the bar fool you! Walk through the small door on the side of the bar, and you are in a tiny restaurant, with what? 8 tables? LOL. Old school all the way!!! LOL. The calamari at Rudy's in my opinion is the best I've had anywhere. I've loved calamari since I was kid, and I order it almost everywhere, and almost everywhere, it stinks! LOL. Portionized, frozen, not fresh, overcooked, prepared like extra-crispy KFC, etc. LOL. Not at Rudy's! They have a homemade, from scratch sauce that's really tasty -- a lot of flavor, taste, seasonings, etc. That's their sauce. Second, he uses his own breading and however he dredges the calamari, it works! It's not overly fried, extra crispy all over fried, etc. It's just the right balance, lightly fried, but fried enough to really enjoy it. All subjective of course, but Rudy's has been named as the best calamari many times.

As far as other places -- I couldn't care about fancy schmancy, fine dining, etc. Don't get me wrong, occasionally I like to go out for a nice dinner, fine dining, and so forth. Most of the time however, for me it's about the food. Yes, the experience can be part of that. But Rudy's, Justin's, they are not the fine dining kind of place, but they are nice. Rudy's is old school, beginning to end. Like I said, Arthur Avenue type, LOL. Justin's is a nice place, but far from fancy, high end, but you have really good food and a nice experience.

Savini and Dimora is more fine dining, the former more than the latter. At Dimora, you'll see a guy in jeans and a polo, but dressed nice, and you'll see a guy in slacks and a blazer. It's can be casual nice, neat, but can also be more toward higher end. I've been to Savini in jeans and a polo, but it's fine dining for service, experience, etc., but you are not out of place when in jeans and a polo. As long as you are not a slob, LOL.

Fascino (in Montclair) is also an excellent Italian restaurant. I would add that one onto my list.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:08 AM

Yes, most people who go for Italian food, go to the local, red sauce place. It's better than the pizza place in town, and the food is just that -- better than the pizza place in town. But it's not excellent, top notch, high-end Italian food. Just my opinion.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, Rudy's has been there a very long time -- over 30 years. Don't let walking into the place and seeing the bar fool you! Walk through the small door on the side of the bar, and you are in a tiny restaurant, with what? 8 tables? LOL. Old school all the way!!! LOL. The calamari at Rudy's in my opinion is the best I've had anywhere. I've loved calamari since I was kid, and I order it almost everywhere, and almost everywhere, it stinks! LOL. Portionized, frozen, not fresh, overcooked, prepared like extra-crispy KFC, etc. LOL. Not at Rudy's! They have a homemade, from scratch sauce that's really tasty -- a lot of flavor, taste, seasonings, etc. That's their sauce. Second, he uses his own breading and however he dredges the calamari, it works! It's not overly fried, extra crispy all over fried, etc. It's just the right balance, lightly fried, but fried enough to really enjoy it. All subjective of course, but Rudy's has been named as the best calamari many times.

As far as other places -- I couldn't care about fancy schmancy, fine dining, etc. Don't get me wrong, occasionally I like to go out for a nice dinner, fine dining, and so forth. Most of the time however, for me it's about the food. Yes, the experience can be part of that. But Rudy's, Justin's, they are not the fine dining kind of place, but they are nice. Rudy's is old school, beginning to end. Like I said, Arthur Avenue type, LOL. Justin's is a nice place, but far from fancy, high end, but you have really good food and a nice experience.

Savini and Dimora is more fine dining, the former more than the latter. At Dimora, you'll see a guy in jeans and a polo, but dressed nice, and you'll see a guy in slacks and a blazer. It's can be casual nice, neat, but can also be more toward higher end. I've been to Savini in jeans and a polo, but it's fine dining for service, experience, etc., but you are not out of place when in jeans and a polo. As long as you are not a slob, LOL.

Fascino (in Montclair) is also an excellent Italian restaurant. I would add that one onto my list.
That's why I like Patsy's Tavern in Paterson, mentioned up thread. You walk through the bar to get to a little dining room.

I never even heard of calamari until I was at least 20 years old. We weren't Italian so that stuff was not on our radar, and I came from a big family so we only went out to eat once a year on my grandmother's birthday, and we certainly weren't going to take Nana out for Italian. I don't think I even knew there was such a thing as Italian food back then. (On Nana's birthday, we went to this place called Jorgensen's up near West Milford, I think, on 23, and every year I ordered the same wonderful dinner that was exotic and unusual and something my mother never made. It was called "chicken in a basket"--fried chicken and french fries. LOL.)

Once I started working in the city, I learned about Italian food. Used to go for lunches at a place called the Supreme Macaroni Factory, a pasta store with a dining room in the back, rickety tables, a cat running around, and an old lady doing all the cooking. Wine served in carafes. Turned your teeth purple. The restaurant was on the back of Billy Joel's 52nd Street album, too. It's gone now, but that's where I learned about veal marsala for the first time.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:16 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Dimora is my local place and it is ok. Not fine dining but large portions. Nothing to travel to. I think it is owned by Albanians (but I could be wrong).
There’s a place in Harrington park - cork and crust- that I think is a little better.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
That's why I like Patsy's Tavern in Paterson, mentioned up thread. You walk through the bar to get to a little dining room.

I never even heard of calamari until I was at least 20 years old. We weren't Italian so that stuff was not on our radar, and I came from a big family so we only went out to eat once a year on my grandmother's birthday, and we certainly weren't going to take Nana out for Italian. I don't think I even knew there was such a thing as Italian food back then. (On Nana's birthday, we went to this place called Jorgensen's up near West Milford, I think, on 23, and every year I ordered the same wonderful dinner that was exotic and unusual and something my mother never made. It was called "chicken in a basket"--fried chicken and french fries. LOL.)

Once I started working in the city, I learned about Italian food. Used to go for lunches at a place called the Supreme Macaroni Factory, a pasta store with a dining room in the back, rickety tables, a cat running around, and an old lady doing all the cooking. Wine served in carafes. Turned your teeth purple. The restaurant was on the back of Billy Joel's 52nd Street album, too. It's gone now, but that's where I learned about veal marsala for the first time.
I hear you. "Best" and obviously "favorite" is completely subjective in nature. In the eye and taste of the beholder, LOL. As much as I like old school places, and to me it's all about the food, sometimes, the experience is also important. You can go to the restaurant where you think they have the "best" food, and if you get poor service, I don't think the experience will be good at all. It might ruin it.

Regardless, when it comes to wanting "very good" or "excellent" Italian food, for me, my likes, my tastes, etc. -- I don't think every town has one, so I have to look to a destination spot, a place I want and have to drive to. Savini is about 15 minutes from me, with traffic! LOL. I can go any time, and I used to (pre-covid). However, Dimora, is much further from me, closer to 25 or 30 minutes, due to local road driving, lights, etc. Pre-covid, I was going there far more than Savini. Why? That's what I like, LOL. I have friends from all over Bergen County, and we go out for dinner multiple times a week, individually, and collectively. All of us foodies, and all of us have a different # 1, but very common top 5 -- Dimora, Savini, Justin's, etc. A few are just outside Bergen County. Bottagra, for example, nice place, very good food. My friend rates it # 1, but I don't. No right or wrong. Subjective. My two favorites, and two of the best for me, are Dimora and Savini. Others I go to often, but not as regularly as those two. But, that's just me. Again, subjective, and certainly not right or wrong.

I've gone to many Italian restaurants -- where people said to me, this is the best, this is my favorite -- some I think are OK, typical red sauce places, others I think are "good" but wouldn't regularly go or drive 30 minutes to go, etc., and a few I think are better than just good. But it's not my best or favorite. Again, no right or wrong.

Like I always say...some people like chocolate ice cream, some people like vanilla ice cream, and some people don't like ice cream...LOL.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:04 PM

182 posts, read 136,374 times
Good, but not great -
Paisanos - Rutherford
Angelos - Lyndhurst
La Fiamme - Harrison
Justins - Hawthorne

Unfortunately, it’s been awhile since I’ve visited any of them.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I hear you. "Best" and obviously "favorite" is completely subjective in nature. In the eye and taste of the beholder, LOL. As much as I like old school places, and to me it's all about the food, sometimes, the experience is also important. You can go to the restaurant where you think they have the "best" food, and if you get poor service, I don't think the experience will be good at all. It might ruin it.

Regardless, when it comes to wanting "very good" or "excellent" Italian food, for me, my likes, my tastes, etc. -- I don't think every town has one, so I have to look to a destination spot, a place I want and have to drive to. Savini is about 15 minutes from me, with traffic! LOL. I can go any time, and I used to (pre-covid). However, Dimora, is much further from me, closer to 25 or 30 minutes, due to local road driving, lights, etc. Pre-covid, I was going there far more than Savini. Why? That's what I like, LOL. I have friends from all over Bergen County, and we go out for dinner multiple times a week, individually, and collectively. All of us foodies, and all of us have a different # 1, but very common top 5 -- Dimora, Savini, Justin's, etc. A few are just outside Bergen County. Bottagra, for example, nice place, very good food. My friend rates it # 1, but I don't. No right or wrong. Subjective. My two favorites, and two of the best for me, are Dimora and Savini. Others I go to often, but not as regularly as those two. But, that's just me. Again, subjective, and certainly not right or wrong.

I've gone to many Italian restaurants -- where people said to me, this is the best, this is my favorite -- some I think are OK, typical red sauce places, others I think are "good" but wouldn't regularly go or drive 30 minutes to go, etc., and a few I think are better than just good. But it's not my best or favorite. Again, no right or wrong.

Like I always say...some people like chocolate ice cream, some people like vanilla ice cream, and some people don't like ice cream...LOL.
Good post. It also depends on what you're doing, and with whom. I'd love to try a Savini or one of the other places you mention for fine dining, but I don't have any people with whom I could do that, and while I have no qualms about dining out alone, I probably wouldn't enjoy a place like that without someone to share it with.

I think a good-enough Italian place where you can go with friends that is relatively local works most of the time. I've got a couple of very good "red sauce" spots near me, so the only point I'd have in driving 30 minutes to a different one would be to meet a particular friend in a particular location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey