Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:39 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times

Advertisements

From Dallas to Gavelstone speed limits are also 85mph so you can probably make it there quicker than the GSP on a Friday afternoon or Saturday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Welcome. Any reason why Fort Lee specifically? Cliffside Park, Palisades Park, and a few other towns will get you close to the NJ Koreatowns. And the Manhattan one is close to Penn Station and PATH, which are easy trips from lots of other places too.
Might want to find the job first and then decide where to live based upon that. I heard via word of mouth last weekend that there are positions to be filled at Jersey City Medical Center.

Good luck.
Palisades park is nice too. I was looking at apts through zillow in Fort Lee and saw some around upper $300s.

And I retract my statement regarding close to beaches. It does not have to be close.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
It’s about the same to jones beach as it is to close in Jersey shore beaches. A little over an hour in light traffic.
350 for a nice 1 bedroom is in range for luxury buildings. You can get a 2 bed if you look in older buildings. Some complexes are heavily Korean and some are more mixed.
1 bed is perfectly fine for us.

My biggest concern is how much higher the cost of living would be in NJ and that question is very broad and generic..

Old 04-26-2021, 10:15 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gihan84 View Post

My biggest concern is how much higher the cost of living would be in NJ and that question is very broad and generic..

Housing is the top on the list and is 25-33-40% of a household expenses.

I would start there.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:19 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
As someone born and raised in New Jersey, I would move to Texas in a heartbeat and can't even fathom moving here from there. I guess the grass always does seem greener on the other side, lol.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 32,874 times
Quote:

This would provide good overall view of moving from Dallas to NJ(choose bergen-passaic for comparison):-

https://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/...ing/index.html

Old 04-27-2021, 07:56 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
As someone born and raised in New Jersey, I would move to Texas in a heartbeat and can't even fathom moving here from there. I guess the grass always does seem greener on the other side, lol.
And as someone born and raised in the south, I moved to NJ in a heartbeat years ago. Not so much “grass is always greener” as “different strokes,” I guess.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:57 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
And as someone born and raised in the south, I moved to NJ in a heartbeat years ago. Not so much “grass is always greener” as “different strokes,” I guess.
Same here. I grew up in Texas (San Antonio and Austin), lived elsewhere for a while including ten years in NJ, then moved back to Texas. I loved NJ and would welcome a reason to move back, even though the cost of living is much higher. I miss the walkability every day.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 383 times
Default Flower Mound

Quote:
Where are you coming from? Flower Mound, TX
Why are you moving? Born and lived in Texas for 37 years, wishing to get out and enjoy the NE state life.
Where will you be working? Any hospital as RN

Will you buy or rent? Buy in fort lee nj
What is your budget? $350-400k
What kind of place are you looking for? Apt, maybe condo

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Spouse
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Close to Koreatown, close to beaches, close to hospitals

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: cleaniness, safety, tennis courts

This is a plan that won't happen until 1.5-2 years..but I just finished a short trip in NJ and loved every bit of it. I don't know what the winters will be like in NJ, nor paid state taxes, but I feel a strong desire to relocate out of Texas and enjoy what NJ has to offer.

I know I'm not helping on your move but I am looking to move into Flower Mound area but am concerned over the gas wells/ drilling in area. When I researched the area cancer cluster investigations came up a fews years back. I know there have been new ordinances in place. Is all the health concerns in the area a thing of the past?
Thanks for you input!

Old 04-28-2021, 01:36 PM

100 posts, read 90,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Same here. I grew up in Texas (San Antonio and Austin), lived elsewhere for a while including ten years in NJ, then moved back to Texas. I loved NJ and would welcome a reason to move back, even though the cost of living is much higher. I miss the walkability every day.
I lived in DFW not Dallas mind you and Flower Mound isn't Dallas to me, but I don't miss it one bit. I especially love the weather here compared with Dallas. Of course there was a time I really enjoyed the Texas Heat. Not anymore.

Never been to Fort Lee though. I've seen it from across the Hudson though and it seems nice. I know they have buses that cross the Bridge for easy access to Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey