Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 11:56 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Galveston is 317 miles from Flower Mound.
Flower Mound sounds like something you see on a fresh grave.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:45 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
As someone born and raised in New Jersey, I would move to Texas in a heartbeat and can't even fathom moving here from there. I guess the grass always does seem greener on the other side, lol.
I moved from Dallas to NJ 8 years ago, after 10 years in Dallas (proper, not suburbs). Dallas is a nice town, and there's a lot to like about it. The suburbs there, I couldn't fathom living there. After watching our otherwise normal friends turn 30, move to the suburbs and join a megachurch (OK, some hyperbole there, but some truth too), we decided we'd be open to exploring other parts of the country. 8 years later, here we are. There are things I miss, and things I don't.

Overall both places have plusses and minuses. Also, it's gotten a lot more expensive in the past 10 years. NJ is still more (in general), but it's a lot closer than it used to be when I first moved there in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 7,069 times
In Fort Lee, with that budget, you're most likely going to be in a condo, co-op or possibly a townhouse if prices don't rise too much.

Koreatown is all over the area, not just Fort Lee. You can get much better deals a little further away and still be in a high Korean population area.

If you want to work at Columbia (or anywhere in Manhattan), then yes, Fort Lee is where it's at. To Columbia, you can walk to work (about an hour 10 give or take depending on where you live in Fort Lee), bike or scooter even quicker (about 30 min).

Cheap jitneys to Manhattan ($3) from here too and super quick since they basically pick up at one side of the bridge and drop off on the other.

If you end up working somewhere not on the Manhattan side then defiantly explore all of the surrounding Korean outposts. You might find something that you like.

Fort Lee is great mind you but you're basically paying a premium to have a shorter Manhattan commute.

One suggestion I would give as someone who moved to NJ just under 2 years ago is to rent for a year in a place you think you want to live. Use that time to find the right house in the right location. Pictures and maps are great for planning but in all practical matters, being there will help you understand the small things that the big picture doesn't show.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:04 PM

447 posts, read 321,808 times
We moved from Coppell TX to south Jersey.

They say the school district is an award wining one but it looks like the academic performance here is not as good as that of the Coppell schools. Also the service is no better for students with extra needs. However, the property tax is much higher than Coppell.

I would say the natural environment is better with more trees but the overall performance of south Jersey is not as great as good towns in TX. The playground equipments are old and shabby compared with those in the Coppell recreation center. I could not find any big parks with nice concrete trails here.

However, south Jersey and north Jersey are very different and I wish you good luck.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:32 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
My cousin lives in a nice co-op building in Ft Lee and has a very nice apartment with doorman and pool ( I don't think tennis court though) and the prices are definitely below your budget. The building is an older one though.

Just mentioning because it seems Ft Lee is definitely in your budget. The only thing I would mention is that the congestion in the area is very un-appealing to me. I can't imagine how it will seem to someone not from the area.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:13 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just mentioning because it seems Ft Lee is definitely in your budget. The only thing I would mention is that the congestion in the area is very un-appealing to me. I can't imagine how it will seem to someone not from the area.
The traffic congestion in Bergen County is very un-appealing to me, too. However, it's not like somebody coming from Dallas is unused to traffic congestion, as that city ranks 35th nationally in traffic delays/congestion.
Is it as bad as what would be found in Bergen County?
No, but the OP has undoubtedly experienced traffic congestion in his/her current surroundings.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/c...-tomtom-index/

Old 05-05-2021, 06:26 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
I lived in DFW not Dallas mind you and Flower Mound isn't Dallas to me, but I don't miss it one bit. I especially love the weather here compared with Dallas. Of course there was a time I really enjoyed the Texas Heat. Not anymore.

Never been to Fort Lee though. I've seen it from across the Hudson though and it seems nice. I know they have buses that cross the Bridge for easy access to Manhattan
I've been seriously thinking of moving to Texas.

Just came back from somewhere else recently...

Old 05-05-2021, 06:27 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Flower Mound sounds like something you see on a fresh grave.
Is that some kind of a dig at Texas?

How about "Basking Ridge" sounds like somewhere you go to Bask to get an Orange super-burned tanning bed Tan.. lol

Old 05-05-2021, 07:11 AM

821 posts, read 774,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I've been seriously thinking of moving to Texas.

Just came back from somewhere else recently...
I recommend Wyoming, it has the most Patriotic people, Texas is becoming more liberal by the day, so your stress levels will still be high there.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:27 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
We moved from Coppell TX to south Jersey.

They say the school district is an award wining one but it looks like the academic performance here is not as good as that of the Coppell schools. Also the service is no better for students with extra needs. However, the property tax is much higher than Coppell.

I would say the natural environment is better with more trees but the overall performance of south Jersey is not as great as good towns in TX. The playground equipments are old and shabby compared with those in the Coppell recreation center. I could not find any big parks with nice concrete trails here.

However, south Jersey and north Jersey are very different and I wish you good luck.

how did you like Coppell, any big downsides there? Was looking at an opportunity in Dallas and Coppell seemed like a nice suburb alongside Murphy and Sachse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey