Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 2,843 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Rahway by end of month and will anticipate living in NJ for the foreseeable future and so will be transferring my license and registration. I have an MVC appointment on July 1st.

For license I have the 6 points of ID and so that is taken care of.

As for my car: it is financed and so has a lien on it. There are also 2 names on the title/registration - myself as the primary registrant and my father as the co-registrant. My insurance policy in NY has both names on the ID card as well. Since I am in NY, I also possess the physical title as it is one of the few title-holding states and therefore will not require a lien release.

If my father provides a Letter of Authorization/Notarized Letter - will I have any issues registering the car in NJ? Will he still need to be on the NJ title? As for my NJ insurance policy, will he have to be covered as a named insured if he is not going to drive the car at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 09:50 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Specific questions like that, I would suggest calling the NJMVC statewide hotline which you should be able to find online. They will probably transfer you to someone there who specifically handles titles.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:21 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Anyone have an updated field report re: the lines @ DMV ?
Thankfully, I haven't seen any news of closures in a while...

Old 06-03-2021, 10:52 AM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Get ahold of someone from a hotline? We are talking about the NJ Government here, you will never get in touch with anyone.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:43 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Get ahold of someone from a hotline? We are talking about the NJ Government here, you will never get in touch with anyone.

I thought we paid high taxes for top notch services, no?

Old 06-03-2021, 12:54 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahirkothari0624 View Post
I am moving to Rahway by end of month and will anticipate living in NJ for the foreseeable future and so will be transferring my license and registration. I have an MVC appointment on July 1st.

For license I have the 6 points of ID and so that is taken care of.

As for my car: it is financed and so has a lien on it. There are also 2 names on the title/registration - myself as the primary registrant and my father as the co-registrant. My insurance policy in NY has both names on the ID card as well. Since I am in NY, I also possess the physical title as it is one of the few title-holding states and therefore will not require a lien release.

If my father provides a Letter of Authorization/Notarized Letter - will I have any issues registering the car in NJ? Will he still need to be on the NJ title? As for my NJ insurance policy, will he have to be covered as a named insured if he is not going to drive the car at all?
Questions: Why was your father listed as co-registrant on your current title/registration in the first place? Is he a lienholder or co-owner (in other words does he have a financial "share" in this car?). Was he a guarantor for you in terms of the original financing? If so, can you buy him out? If none of these situations apply, why bother continuing to have his name on the new title? If the lienholder is a financial institution (bank, credit union, dealership) it might help to talk to them about how to transfer this title from NYC to NJ (I'm sure you're not the first person who's done that! ) and whether the new title needs to show both names or not. They have to submit a form to NJ's DMV anyway.

As for insurance, many policies already provide coverage for another person who happens to drive your car (borrowing it to run an errand for example) without being specifically named. Maybe he doesn't need to be named at all, especially if he'll never be driving it. Did/does he contribute to paying the premiums?

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-03-2021 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 08:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Im trying to transfer my title to NJ from NC. My new hyundai has a small 9k lein on it through BOA.

It is so complicated..

Old 06-04-2021, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 2,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im trying to transfer my title to NJ from NC. My new hyundai has a small 9k lein on it through BOA.

It is so complicated..
So actually my father bought the car back in 2019 under his name because of some insurance crap but that's since been taken care of. We actually had to go through a whole 'transfer of equity' process to get my name on the title/registration with the financing company but they still require my father to be on the title as the co-owner/registrant even though I am now responsible for the monthly payments and I drive the car pretty much 100 percent of the time. As for submitting a form to NJ's DMV, I don't think they need to do anything because NY is one of those title holding states and I am actually in possession of the physical title. Normally in one of those non-holding states I would have to submit a form authorizing lien release to NJ MVC but in this case I do not since I already have the title document.

Was asking about the insurance because in NY both names on registration have to be on the insurance card, I actually had to get my own policy in NY once the finance company put my name on the car loan because I could not be a named insured under my dad's original policy.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
So actually my father bought the car back in 2019 under his name because of some insurance crap but that's since been taken care of. We actually had to go through a whole 'transfer of equity' process to get my name on the title/registration with the financing company but they still require my father to be on the title as the co-owner/registrant even though I am now responsible for the monthly payments and I drive the car pretty much 100 percent of the time. As for submitting a form to NJ's DMV, I don't think they need to do anything because NY is one of those title holding states and I am actually in possession of the physical title. Normally in one of those non-holding states I would have to submit a form authorizing lien release to NJ MVC but in this case I do not since I already have the title document.

Was asking about the insurance because in NY both names on registration have to be on the insurance card, I actually had to get my own policy in NY once the finance company put my name on the car loan because I could not be a named insured under my dad's original policy.
I worked in insurance for 3 years. NJ Is an oddball state for Insurance. Very lenient.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:09 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:

Again, maybe the lienholder can advise you how to register a multi-owner car if you can't get questions answered through an MVC. The lienholder needs to be involved in an application to transfer the title anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey