Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 10:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Okay. But I would like to believe they are not the majority and if that’s naive, so be it.
Same here. I don't think they are the majority. I think some people lost their jobs and they haven't come back. I really don't personally know any people who are collecting unemployment right now except for my one friend who I mentioned. Her job is just flat-out GONE.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The ones who are taking advantage of this are probably the same people who in non-COVID times don't bother to look for a new job until their unemployment runs out.
I thought to collect you had to prove you were actively looking for a job, actual interviews and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I thought to collect you had to prove you were actively looking for a job, actual interviews and such?
I think that's easy to fake or to say you applied here or there. I don't know. Never in my own life did I collect unemployment, and I am retired now, so I never will.

I was simply referring to people I have known who DID collect in the past who seriously don't intend to work until their benefits run out. They say things like, "Oh, come September, my unemployment will run out so I will have to find a job." And I always thought, "Why aren't you looking for a job NOW?"

Of course, the COVID situation is different. People couldn't run right out and look for another job in most cases.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-29-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-29-2021, 10:33 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
The ones who are taking advantage of this are probably the same people who in non-COVID times don't bother to look for a new job until their unemployment runs out.
The issue I see lies within the $300 extra a week. Its a fixed number and not a percentage of what the person did claim on their previous tax return. So if you were earning $11-15 dollars an hour, that equates to about $400 to $600 a week. If you factor in 60% of your average wages + the extra $300 a week, you are actually making more money staying at home or at least breaking even to do absolutely NOTHING. The threshold is about $12/hour.

At high income ranges, you aren't getting more extra stimulus money. Its still $300 a week. So it will less likely result in you earning more just to stay home. Unless you are willing to take drastic measures in cost cutting and lifestyle changes, the incentive to get off unemployment still encourages one to get a job quickly.

So the $300 a week really discourages getting a job at the lower end income brackets. Which is why it is restaurants and such that are suffering the most.... they are the largest industry for employment at this range of hourly wages. The whole point of the unemployment system is to get people off of it... But with the current state of things, we are actually encouraging people to stay home.

I have a lot of low income friends. They also know a lot of low income friends. If I were to do a gut check on how many are purposely not looking for a job its closer to half if not more. My closest circle of friends is about 5 people... of them two are purposely milking the system. The rest of us make enough over the threshold that $300/week extra isn't going to keep us happy... so they work. One of those is literally treating the last year plus as an "extended vacation".... end of the month, she is actually taking in more than her slowest months at work. So its not like she is banking but she is remaining afloat enough to simply enjoy her time off. Her boyfriend is more than happy to cover the cost of playing golf, partying weekly, even some summer trips. I love her as a friend, but she should shut up about it because some of us are working to pay taxes that go to her.

In town, we just had a fairly popular hot dog specialty place close and go out of business. Great place since they delivered, had a great unique menu, and was open till 2am in the morning. They thanked the town for giving them so much business and treating them well. They are closing specifically because they can't get people hired to keep the business going. Meanwhile, I know at least two people that are sitting home not working... milking the system. go figure.

Oddly enough, it is the illegals that I see that are willing to work... since most are avoiding a paper trail they work for cash. As it should be No unemployment and stimulus for them . The thing is that many restaurants are doing the right thing by not hiring them.... but in turn, it is those illegals that are willing the work could potentially save their business.

Last edited by usayit; 08-29-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-29-2021, 10:36 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
I think that's easy to fake or to say you applied here or there. I don't know. Never in my own life did I collect unemployment, and I am retired now, so I never will.

I was simply referring to people I have known who DID collect in the past who seriously don't intend to work until their benefits run out. They say things like, "Oh, come September, my unemployment will run out so I will have to find a job." And I always thought, "Why aren't you looking for a job NOW?"

Of course, the COVID situation is different.
I collected unemployment once for a few months after the 2008-2009 crash. It's just a form you fill out that no one really checks. I started going stir crazy though, and took a job in my field that paid so poorly, that unemployment actually sent me a check for the difference!

The feeling of having some place to go every day with a purpose and interacting with humans instead of just the dog, was priceless and I was soon gainfully employed not long after that contract ended.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:52 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:

Of course, the COVID situation is different. People couldn't run right out and look for another job in most cases.
I was unemployed for a period of time. The amount was so small compared to my salary take home that the incentive to get a job was really strong. I had to call in and occasionally show up at the unemployment office weekly to qualify for my check. Basically asked a few questions regarding efforts to find a job. If you were an unskilled or low skilled worker, they may require you to take training/classes at the unemployment center to better chances of placing you in a new job.

Since I was a college educated technical field worker, I was never required to take those classes.... but they did remind me that it is required that I take the first job offer that I received that is relevant to my field of expertise. I don't recall if what would happen if they found out that a person did not. I ended up taking a job that was 2/3rds my previous salary. I was fine though.... much better than burning through savings to make up the difference with unemployment.

Unemployment is around 60% of you average weekly take home, capped to just above $650 a week (I don't have current numbers), for 26 weeks. I think it comes to about $16/hour before you start feeling the reduced income.. (this is assuming no additional benefits like covid stimulus). So in other words once you have an income above $35k-sh, unemployment becomes increasingly more uncomfortable. You get the same amount whether you make $35k a year or $100k a year... because it is all above the cap.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The issue I see lies within the $300 extra a week. Its a fixed number and not a percentage of what the person did claim on their previous tax return. So if you were earning $11-15 dollars an hour, that equates to about $400 to $600 a week. If you factor in 60% of your average wages + the extra $300 a week, you are actually making more money staying at home or at least breaking even to do absolutely NOTHING. The threshold is about $12/hour.

At high income ranges, you aren't getting more extra stimulus money. Its still $300 a week. So it will less likely result in you earning more just to stay home. Unless you are willing to take drastic measures in cost cutting and lifestyle changes, the incentive to get off unemployment still encourages one to get a job quickly.

So the $300 a week really discourages getting a job at the lower end income brackets. Which is why it is restaurants and such that are suffering the most.... they are the largest industry for employment at this range of hourly wages. The whole point of the unemployment system is to get people off of it... But with the current state of things, we are actually encouraging people to stay home.

I have a lot of low income friends. They also know a lot of low income friends. If I were to do a gut check on how many are purposely not looking for a job its closer to half if not more. My closest circle of friends is about 5 people... of them two are purposely milking the system. The rest of us make enough over the threshold that $300/week extra isn't going to keep us happy... so they work. One of those is literally treating the last year plus as an "extended vacation".... end of the month, she is actually taking in more than her slowest months at work. So its not like she is banking but she is remaining afloat enough to simply enjoy her time off. Her boyfriend is more than happy to cover the cost of playing golf, partying weekly, even some summer trips. I love her as a friend, but she should shut up about it because some of us are working to pay taxes that go to her.

In town, we just had a fairly popular hot dog specialty place close and go out of business. Great place since they delivered, had a great unique menu, and was open till 2am in the morning. They thanked the town for giving them so much business and treating them well. They are closing specifically because they can't get people hired to keep the business going. Meanwhile, I know at least two people that are sitting home not working... milking the system. go figure.

Oddly enough, it is the illegals that I see that are willing to work... since most are avoiding a paper trail they work for cash. As it should be No unemployment and stimulus for them . The thing is that many restaurants are doing the right thing by not hiring them.... but in turn, it is those illegals that are willing the work could potentially save their business.
OK, thanks for that explanation. I see what you are saying.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I collected unemployment once for a few months after the 2008-2009 crash. It's just a form you fill out that no one really checks. I started going stir crazy though, and took a job in my field that paid so poorly, that unemployment actually sent me a check for the difference!

The feeling of having some place to go every day with a purpose and interacting with humans instead of just the dog, was priceless and I was soon gainfully employed not long after that contract ended.
Glad you got through. I can see being stuck home too long not being good for mental health. There were times in my life when having to get up and go to work probably kept me from slitting my wrists.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:11 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
God forbid there are actual living, breathing human beings just trying to stay afloat that are receiving this money. Not everyone on the planet is a deadbeat.
How long do you think it should be continued when there are many more jobs than workers? I was on unemployment all of 2020 until things started picking up in my industry (nursing home rehab cause elective surgeries were back on and people were getting vaccinated and not as worried about going to inpatient rehab). I could have stayed on unemployment and just kept checking there’s no work anyway, which is what a lot are doing now.

Most everything is open again and most businesses are experiencing staff shortages. So why do you feel it should be continued?

Old 08-29-2021, 11:18 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No. I still collect about one week out of every four or five. Each week you certify for benefits. You only click ‘yes’ to ‘looking for work’. There are questions about whether you are in any job training, etc. but it’s all yes/no until you get to the bottom.

Where it asks if you worked, if you click ‘yes’ a drop-down appears where you list the job, hours, and pay. Based on your previous salary, you might still collect part of the weekly benefits if your new job paid less than what you had been making.

I’m self-employed now, so most weeks I make enough that I don’t qualify for anything. Like I mentioned above, every now and then my income for the week is zero or less than 60% of what it had been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey