Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 12:42 PM

1,142 posts, read 857,406 times

Advertisements

Anyone else watch the entire debate (not just rhe segments the media replayed)? Murphy seemed like he lost his cool a few times. Jack C ripped into him several times for saying "If Taxes Are An Issue, Then NJ Isn't Your State". Murphy also got ripped for the nursing home deaths, failed response during Ida, and supporting teaching Kindergarteners about gender identity. He had very few comebacks that made much sense. There were also several boos from the crowd against Murphy, and only a few applauses. Towards the end, several chanted "Vote him out"!

The only thing Jack C. slipped on in my opinion was when Murphy actually accused him of defunding the police in Somerset County and he had a very bad rebuttal. He didn't really deny it, but instead made a statement about local police not endorsing Murphy either. Yet, Murphy did have a good comeback and said no police unions endorsed you at all!

Otherwise it was a clear win for Jack C when he closed out with saying along the lines, if you think you are actually in a better place now than 4 years ago, want higher taxes, more big Govt oversight, or had a good experience with DMV or getting through to unemployment, then Vote for Murphy.

Sidenote, I was surprised no questions came up about whether or not the candidates would shutdown the economy again if COVID gets bad again. Murphy was a dictator when it came to restrictions and shutdowns and surprisingly not much about that came up aside from Murphy supporting school mask mandates. Perhaps the next debate it will be brought up.

Overall, Jack C did a great job last night. Even my wife who is a D, said she would probably vote for Jack only because he is a much better choice than Murphy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 01:23 PM

72 posts, read 72,221 times
I thought Jack was strong in his tax statements. Murph's "pre-k for all" proposal means a spike in property taxes for sure. And Murph's forcing removal of oil heating systems for electric heat is just another huge expense for home owners.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:07 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times
I just wish people see that Murphy's shiny gold plated jewelry shine has long since worn off....

Old 09-30-2021, 10:20 AM

I feel like I am in the minority, but, yeah, as someone totally disenfranchised with the "D" party, I encourage alternate and more frugal/conservative ideas.

Of course, modern Republicans are a far cry from that, but anything not full-on D gets my "approval."

Fight the power, people.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:12 PM

306 posts, read 203,122 times
Not really a Murphy fan, but he said that at a business forum, and the full quote was in response to a question to NJ being ranked low in business friendly climate surveys:-

Quote:
“I don’t begrudge that. And I would say this: If you’re a one-issue voter, and tax rate is your issue – either a family or a business, if that’s the only basis upon which you’re going to make a decision, we’re probably not your state. It’s possible we are, but I don’t think we’ll be the state. That’s not to say we don’t take that seriously, and I’ll come to that now. But if that’s literally all you care about, we’re going to lose. If your spectrum of inputs as you make decisions as a family or as a business is wide, we’ll compete with anybody. The wider that spectrum of consideration, the better it is for New Jersey. So if on that list is taxes, by the way, and I’m not shying away from that. Our job is to make sure whether it’s cracking the back of property taxes or making sure that we get to a good place on incentives and that we have that tool in the toolbox, that’s on that list. It’s on the list. I got it"

In other words, if the only thing you care about is your tax rate, then there are obviously better places to live. That's very different than saying 'if taxes are an issue, the NJ isn't your state'. This is true of everywhere and everyone really. If literally the only thing I cared about was taxes, I'd move to Alabama, as it has the lowest property tax rates in the CONUS, but I don't do that, because there are other factors.

Property taxes here are very high, but I tolerate them because of the education system. They are an issue, but there are other issues that outweigh that for me. Same for businesses...there are other states where it's cheaper to hire, but you don't have the same level of educated workers. It was probably stupid of him not to realize how it could be cherry picked, but what he actually said is very different to the GOP take on it.

People want politicians to be honest, and that's honesty. Tax increases might slow down, or come down slightly, but anyone telling you that they'll be able to fix the system and suddenly meaningfully cut your property taxes is lying to you.

Last edited by baycurious123; 09-30-2021 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-30-2021, 12:19 PM

7,342 posts, read 3,517,785 times
I listened to Jack on WNYC this morning. One caller asked him if he could define what White Privilege is to him. He didn’t take the bait. He was repeatedly asked questions about race, to which he answered he will represent every New Jersey resident. I think he did well, but let’s face it…governor Murphy will be overwhelmingly re-elected by the clapping seals.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Not really a Murphy fan, but he said that at a business forum, and the full quote was in response to a question to NJ being ranked low in business friendly climate surveys:-

In other words, if the only thing you care about is your tax rate, then there are obviously better places to live. That's very different than saying 'if taxes are an issue, the NJ isn't your state'.

Property taxes here are very high, but I tolerate them because of the education system. They are an issue, but there are other issues that outweigh that for me. Same for businesses...there are other states where it's cheaper to hire, but you don't have the same level of educated workers. It was probably stupid of him not to realize how it could be cherry picked, but what he actually said is very different to the GOP take on it.

People want politicians to be honest, and that's honesty. Tax increases might slow down, or come down slightly, but anyone telling you that they'll be able to fix the system and suddenly meaningfully cut your property taxes is lying to you.
There is a way to meaningfully cut property taxes, but I haven't seen any politician succeed in doing it. A few ways it can be done is cut the huge fat first (NJ does NOT need BOTH a county school superintendant and Asst. Superintendant. (Every school district already has one). Furthermore, several smaller towns in NJ do NOT need their own separate school district. They could easily be combined to save hundreds of thousand dollars by cutting the jobs of hundreds of town Superintendants. NEXT, most elementary schools do NOT need a VP. One Principal is enough. There are many other jobs that could be cut in every school district and still have it run just as smoothly and not affect children's education.

Since school districts are one of the main reasons property taxes are through the roof, combining small districts and cutting out hundreds of the 6 figure middlemen aka Superintendants, would surely be enough to cut property taxes.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I listened to Jack on WNYC this morning. One caller asked him if he could define what White Privilege is to him. He didn’t take the bait. He was repeatedly asked questions about race, to which he answered he will represent every New Jersey resident. I think he did well, but let’s face it…governor Murphy will be overwhelmingly re-elected by the clapping seals.
It seems 90% of people HATE Murphy on his OWN social media pages. Yet, Jack C is getting nothing but applause on his social media page (FB page). Therefore, since EVERYONE has access to social media, doesnt this indicate Jack C has a good chance of winning? I mean Murphy was even booed at the debate at a Liberal School!! People were chanting vote Murphy out. Who the hell is voting for this communust? Even folks in urban areas are tired of his mandates and BS. He will NOT get that "Black and Brown" support he got last time either.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
It seems 90% of people HATE Murphy on his OWN social media pages. Yet, Jack C is getting nothing but applause on his social media page (FB page). Therefore, since EVERYONE has access to social media, doesnt this indicate Jack C has a good chance of winning? I mean Murphy was even booed at the debate at a Liberal School!! People were chanting vote Murphy out. Who the hell is voting for this communust? Even folks in urban areas are tired of his mandates and BS. He will NOT get that "Black and Brown" support he got last time either.
Logic would indicate this votes very well for Jack.

Major media, however, I don't know how they do it, but, everything has been Trump's fault for every day since January 21st, 2017.

Media is the problem. Jack probably is winning, but.....................................

Have you "already voted?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Making me want to listen to NJ101.5 again. I gave listening a shot.. I find it too dry.

TBF, I also usually only listen to the first half hour of Beck and Deace. Can't really take anymore.

Old 09-30-2021, 03:12 PM

318 posts, read 450,665 times
Murphy came across as what he is. An arrogant elitist who is out of touch with most voters in the state. No doubt that Jack won. Let's just hope that enough people watched it to change their mind or get them voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey