Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:31 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

In the age of politics pervading everything, this isn't a bad question at all. I absolutely avoid places that outwardly project leftist sentiments and frequent those that are neutral or project the opposite.

Happened just yesterday in fact after a 9/11-related funeral. We first called a bar based on location. I explained the purpose and received a lukewarm response. The second bar was a no brainer who bent over backwards to accommodate us because he loves cops. We're returning in two weeks for a formal repast.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 04:21 PM

480 posts, read 481,133 times
The fact that anyone is thinking about political affiliations with regard to where they eat or drink rather than the quality of the food and the service is a sure sign that we are doomed...as if Facebook wasn't enough of one

Old 11-18-2021, 05:26 PM

445 posts, read 321,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Im not joking. Wear a Maga hat to a bar around NYC and a leftist will assault you.
That's unacceptable behavior (the hypothetical assault), but you have to be smart. I don't go to a die-hard Eagles bar in Philly wearing my Giants gear unless I'm with a few buddies. The fact that people even feel the need to virtue signal their political views (usually MAGA's) during the normal course of a day is astounding to me. It didn't used to be this way.

The OP will be completely fine anywhere in Hoboken and JC if they're just meeting up for food/drinks/good conversation. If they're making speeches about immigration policy or BLM/Antifa, well IDK. Seems stupid.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:55 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
In the age of politics pervading everything, this isn't a bad question at all. I absolutely avoid places that outwardly project leftist sentiments and frequent those that are neutral or project the opposite.

Happened just yesterday in fact after a 9/11-related funeral. We first called a bar based on location. I explained the purpose and received a lukewarm response. The second bar was a no brainer who bent over backwards to accommodate us because he loves cops. We're returning in two weeks for a formal repast.

So because the first place didn’t bend over backwards for you more than they would for anyone else, this was projecting a leftist sentiment? What a strange train of thought.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
So because the first place didn’t bend over backwards for you more than they would for anyone else, this was projecting a leftist sentiment? What a strange train of thought.
No, we know the place and their politics because they project it on facebook, twitter, local ads, political events held there, etc. Don't act like this stuff doesn't occur. You know it does.

When I told them that 20+ cops in dress uniform were looking to celebrate the life of a local hero, they told me the kitchen was closed and we couldn't hang out in the dining area. When I called the second place, I got the answer I expected from them. Why was I expecting that response? Because they never virtue signal covid restrictions, do not host politicians' events and never discuss politics through their online presence.

The only reason I didn't call them first was location. In the end we gladly drove further, spent tons of cash, and stayed till 1am.

Honestly politics aside they are idiots. On a random Wednesday during covid the place we frequented took in hundreds in cash. The other place chooses politics over money.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-18-2021, 06:27 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Ok, that’s changing what you said earlier a bit.

Anyhow, I don’t think it’s good business to be so partisan as a business. But even so, I highly doubt a liberal bar owner would have a problem with conservatives gathering at his bar, or vice versa. It’s not like it’s a KKK meeting.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:34 PM

I fully agree. Either side virtue signaling is stupid, but it is far dumber coming from the business. Customers might be doing it for reasons tied to the gathering. In our case it was unavoidable due to the uniforms, so I made it clear up front. When I organized cheeseburger "meat ups" with an overwhelmingly conservative leaning group, personal politics meant absolutely nothing to us as long as the business kept the same standards. We did avoid places that went out of their way to espouse politics out of line with our own.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:39 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
This is all so bizarre. Glad I am past the point of the hanging out at bars.

Hmm, I must be weird. I'm a 9/11 survivor who leans left in many things but I have cop relatives and friends and 37 of my colleagues who died at the WTC were cops. People need to stop dividing everyone into Us v. Them and making assumptions about others. Not everything is black and white.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:51 PM

Normal people act like you. I do too about 95% of the time. I am careful about where I spend my my money. I'm careful about that. Businesses are supposed to earn our money, not expect it. If I have to choose between virtue signaling businesses, obviously I'm choosing the one that aligns with my views.

And again, lets not pretend this isn't a regular occurrence.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:00 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Normal people act like you. I do too about 95% of the time. I am careful about where I spend my my money. I'm careful about that. Businesses are supposed to earn our money, not expect it. If I have to choose between virtue signaling businesses, obviously I'm choosing the one that aligns with my views.

And again, lets not pretend this isn't a regular occurrence.
I'm not pretending anything. I simply have never encountered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey