Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,890,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRenter2009 View Post
Thanks for the extra info, gradstudent. The unresponsiveness have continued; I haven't heard a peep from my LL despite multiple attempts to reach him. I mailed my last rent check to him certified and it's been two weeks and he still hasn't picked it up. I don't know if that means he doesn't want to sign for a letter from me anymore, or if he's been unavailable to pick up his mail. At any rate, my last month's rent hasn't technically been paid now b/c he hasn't cashed the check, which introduces another issue about what he's planning to do after I move out.

Maybe once the letter gets returned to me undelivered, then I'll resend it to his house instead of the PO Box on my lease.
Keep the undelivered mail. Don't open the envelope. Bring that to court should you end up there. The judge will open the envelope with your check in it as you explain that you sent the rent check to him at that address the other 11 or 23 times and he cashed it just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM

12 posts, read 56,442 times
I emailed him to tell him the rent check was going to get sent back to me in a few days if he didn't sign for the letter. Two days later, he finally picked it up. I was also finally able to get him in the phone last week and he agreed to do a walk-through with me. We'll see if he actually shows up b/c he's missed appointments with me before.

I already cleaned the place from top to bottom but I'm a little nervous since there are two discolored spots in the carpet of the guest bedroom. The carpet cleaners couldn't do anything about it since it's discolored and not a stain. Other than that issue, everything else is very clean. The carpet cleaners actually walked in and looked at me strangely, asking why I was having the carpets cleaned since they're in like-new condition.

Hopefully all goes well with this walk-through. I just want to be done with this guy.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

12 posts, read 56,442 times
The walk-through itself was painless (since the place is very clean and in excellent shape). I tried to get him to sign a form stating that we had conducted the walk-through together and that upon inspection, everything was fine and nothing was beyond normal wear and tear. He staunchly refused to sign it, claiming that he will "write up his own form and send it to me." When I simply asked, "Will your letter be along the same lines of what I have written?" he rather rudely replied, "I have NO interest in signing that." That didn't even answer the question. I couldn't force him to sign anything, so I just reluctantly let it go.

I gave him back his damn keys and though he said on the phone last week that he would have my security deposit check today at the inspection, today he said he would have his accountant cut me the check. We'll see if he returns the full deposit. He even said the condition of the unit was good and that nothing was wrong.

I have a ton of pictures and my sister was also present at the walk-through but without written documentation that the condition of the place is within "normal wear and tear" limits, I feel like he has the upper hand. I really can't stand this guy; he's just a thorn in my side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: