Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 89,452 times

Advertisements

Since moving to Fair Lawn 18 years ago, I have found Paterson's Eastside neighborhood fascinating. One home in particular interests me more than any other and it's the one located at what I believe is 81 East 39th Street. From Google maps, it says that a firm called "Youth Consultation Services" is housed there now but for years, it has been largely abandoned. It is a home located above/behind the Paterson Charter School (formerly Paterson Catholic). The home must have been very opulent at one time and who ever owned it had a lot of money. If you take a drive to see it, go over to 11th Avenue and you will see that there is a gatehouse for this home. The gatehouse facility looks like it is occupied and in decent shape.

The photo found thru this link is from a collection of aerial photos taken of Fair Lawn in 1962: http://www.fairlawn.org/Forms/Aerial...62/FL-1-12.jpg

Due to the fact that Paterson and Fair Lawn overlap, you can see the house that I am talking about about 2/3 of the way up the photo near the Broadway bridge. There is a line of trees that run parallel to eachother running down the property and I would guess that before Route 20 was built, probably ran all the way to the Passaic River. This photo shows that the property included the land that Paterson Catholic/Charter school was eventually built on.

Does anyone have any information on this home or know where I can find out more? I would love to know when it was built (I am guessing anywhere from 1900 to 1915) and who built it.

Thanks for anyone's help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Plug in that address using live search maps (Bing) you get some really nice birds eye view of it. Maybe check with the library...

Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM

513 posts, read 1,166,846 times
You could also check with The Paterson Museum on Market Street (by the NJ Transit bus garage) in Paterson. I am familiar with that part of Paterson. I am wondering if you are referencing the old "Benedictine Academy" structure. Is it on a small hill? If it's not that building, then it must be the home of one of the older textile giants from when Paterson was originally called the "Silk City". Ask for the museum curator....he would definitely know.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
You could also check with The Paterson Museum on Market Street (by the NJ Transit bus garage) in Paterson. I am familiar with that part of Paterson. I am wondering if you are referencing the old "Benedictine Academy" structure. Is it on a small hill? If it's not that building, then it must be the home of one of the older textile giants from when Paterson was originally called the "Silk City". Ask for the museum curator....he would definitely know.
It is on a small hill. Judging from the aerial photo, the address 81 East 39th Street was actually the back of the building originally; the original entrance was on 43rd street, and it appears part of the original driveway is serving a new building on the property (the former Catholic High School, I believe). The hole in the street grid does not appear in the 1872 map of Paterson here:
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/1872Atlas/Paterson_1872.jpg
(but I suspect that map was made well in advance of the territory)

There's nothing in that area in 1887:
http://historical.mytopo.com/getImag...w.jpg&state=NJ

This 1895 map fails to show the hole:
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/PASSAIC_...erson_1895.jpg

The hole does appear in 1900, but no building is noted (doesn't mean it isn't there):
http://historical.mytopo.com/getImag...w.jpg&state=NJ

So, probably built in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Since it's unmarked, probably private.

Ah, one more search found it:
http://books.google.com/books?id=jCv...oadway&f=false

The Barbour mansion, it was called.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
At www.fultonhistory.com if you search Barbour Mansion you can read a newspaper article from The World dated June 2, 1899.

Two Barbour first cousins married. The reception was held at the Barbour Mansion in Paterson. It states there were about one thousand guests.

Other articles from 1915 talk about the mansion being wrecked (I think they mean torn down) and everything being sold.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 AM

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

I cannot tell you how great it was to finally find out more information on what must have been a beautiful house. The Google book search confirmed it in my mind because it says the estate originally covered 60 acres running all the way to the Passaic River. From the aerial shot from 1962, you can see that there were trees planted parallel to each other running east toward the river down from the home. Route 20 was built in the 1930s I believe so when this house was built, it's conceivable that they owned the property all the way to the river. Paterson Catholic (now the Paterson Charter school) was built around 1967. I assume whomever owned the property then sold the parcel of land to the Catholic diocese.

The "photo" in the book found thru the Google books link doesn't look real but it does seem to be the home because of its place near the bridge connecting Elmwood Park and Paterson.

Thank you so much for the info. If you have anything else, please share.

ONE other thing: do you have any information on the Paterson Country Club? Years ago I read that it was actually in Elmwood Park (then called East Paterson) and was where the K-Mart and the large shopping center just west of it is now. I've been able to find nothing on it but when I read about it, they said people would ride their horses over the bridge into Eastside Park. Can you imagine that.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
I can't find anything either on a Paterson Country Club.

Maybe it had a different name?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
At least in 2007, the mansion itself was privately held; there's an article there about the owner attempting to prevent it from being designated a landmark:

http://www.eastsideneighborhood.org/...r2007Color.pdf

Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM

7 posts, read 24,635 times
OP--as a history nerd, I was immediately attracted to your thread (used to live in Elizabeth)...love history of the old "industrial" nj cities...

maryanne made a wonderful suggestion to contact the Paterson Museum

The Paterson Museum » Website

Have you had a chance to do so? I have found locally run history museums to be great sources and extremely friendly...I am sure they would be eager to find answers to your queries. And I bet they (and you) would be glad to share on a personal basis rather than through the internet.

On a side note, I didn't know Paterson Catholic had closed! A shame, Paterson sure could use plenty of options for quality education.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 AM

Regarding the Paterson Country Club, I found an article in the NY Times dated September 24, 1950 which describes the groundbreaking done for the shopping center built in East Paterson (Elmwood Park). The photos are of the old shopping center that had an office tower and this was torn down a few years ago (I can't remember when but it was there when I moved into the area in 1994). In the article it states that a E. Robert Coven & associates acquired the country club property overlooking the Passaic River several years ago. So clearly there was a country club at the location at one time but what it was called and when it closed, I don't know.

Here is the link to the article: Shopping Center on Golf Club Site Features Seven-Story Office Tower - JERSEY SHOPPING CENTER IN MODERN STYLE - Article - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey