Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 AM

98 posts, read 291,500 times

Advertisements

o.k......we were pretty settled on Glen Ridge, but there is a house in Maplewood - Tuscan area, that we really like. Walking distance to train, school. It's also a convenient commute to Harrison path. Next week I will be visiting the schools in Glen Ridge & Maplewood and doing a final house search.

But, if we were to settle in Maplewood - anything we should know, warnings, praises, or otherwise? I understand that Maplewood borders some "rough" areas. Any comments on this dynamic? What about the schools - specifically Tuscan Elementary? I'm a FT Mom looking for a great PTA.

All feedback welcome. Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times
Maplewood is a nice town. The rough towns along some of the borders really don't affect Maplewood much more than any other town that doesn't border them - the Maplewood police do a very good job of protecting the town.

The biggest "warning" would be about property taxes, but those are high in North Jersey in general, and I think both Maplewood and Glen Ridge have high taxes so that's probably not going to be a deciding factor between the two.

I have heard that Tuscan Elementary is one of the best in town (although, I think all of them are pretty good in Maplewood), but I can't comment on the PTA.

Maplewood is a neat town. For a wealthy NJ suburb, it does try to wear some diversity on its sleeve (for whatever that's worth) and the political atmosphere is heavily Democratic. All in all, it's a friendly town.

I don't know Glen Ridge very well, but from what I know you can't go wrong in either town. Glen Ridge might be a little wealthier, but I suspect the difference is small.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I don't know anything about Glen Ridge; but can tell you Maplewood is a wonderful community we absolutely love it. You can walk to everything in town and it really has an old town fell.

Tuscan is a great Elementary, and a beautiful area. The only bad thing about Maplewood is the high taxes, other than that it is an A + in my book. We boarder Irvington and Newark and honestly you don't see any of that come into the area.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
blue - you be lovin' those towns with stratospheric property taxes, eh?? why SHOULDN'T you move there? same reason as glen ridge - TAXES!!! LOL

Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 AM

98 posts, read 291,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
blue - you be lovin' those towns with stratospheric property taxes, eh?? why SHOULDN'T you move there? same reason as glen ridge - TAXES!!! LOL
I know, I know.....but like I said before, there doesn't seem to be any way around the high COL if you want a reasonable commute and great schools.

At least they are deductible

Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Is there a part of Maplewood that is NOT nice at all???? I don't know much about the town but have heard the phrase MapleHOOD" and didn't think that was a compliment?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
IMO Glen Ridge is a far better bet than Maplewood; especially if you are going to use the public schools.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Maplehood is more of a joke than anything else. All parts of Maplewood are nice. Many people don't like the areas that boarder Irvington and Newark.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:19 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
I heard Columbia High wasn't doing too good these days, but I'm not sure about that.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,616 times
I don't know to much about Glen Ridge, but Maplewood is a fairly good bet. There is a sense of community, the schools are good, law enforcement is good, public transport to NYC is great. Maplewood has the same issues as most all Essex County towns, The taxes are way to high.

You should also be considering Summit in Union County, and Chatham in Morris County, have all the advantages of Maplewood, just 2 stops further out on the train, but the taxes are considerably lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey