Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am pakistani and thinking of towns such as Hillsboro, Edison, East Brunswick and South Brunswick to move to. I want my kids to go to the public schools where there is more my community there.
Please advise which is the best town from the ones I am thinking of? Pros/Cons? Anyone have kids that went to these towns and can advise? Need good school but community too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 07:56 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Not sure of a Pakistani presence specifically in any of these towns, but they all have substantial South Asian presence and are rather diverse at that.

Here's how I'd rate them, best to worst:

South Brunswick - Nice town, good schools, close to exit 8A off the Turnpike, also on Rts 1, 130 and 27. I'll add in North Brunswick and Monroe for similar towns.

East Brunswick - Similar to the aforementioned towns except more the previous generation. Older as far as developing goes, including the school buildings, but that does not really have much of a negative impact. North and South Brunswick and Monroe developed later due to East Brunswick getting built out. Close to exit 9 on the Turnpike. Rt 18 can be bad at times.

Edison - Very large town, and very congested. Not a bad place at all, but I'd still rate it third. Schools are good and safe. But it is essentially the largest township by population in the state of NJ and traffic can get very frustrating. On the plus side, everything you could possibly need is there. Rts 1, 27, the Turnpike and 440 which turns into I-287 all run through the township so it is convenient. The north side is typically the "affluent" side of town while the south side is more middle class. Metuchen and Highland Park are "old money" towns close by, the former is literally a donut hole in the middle while the latter sits between Edison and New Brunswick on 27 and Woodbridge Ave (CR-514) where they merge, home to many Rutgers professors since they can walk there easily.

Hillsborough - The big thing about Hillsborough I don't like is that it is in the middle of nowhere. It is very boring, desolate and has mostly new construction. Homes built in the last 30 years do nothing for me personally, very wasteful and ugly, but that is just my opinion. Rt. 206 is the only major road that runs through it and it is still a 2 lane road - 1 lane each way - you'd be crawling on it during rush hour. Not a good place to be if you commute. I'm sure this town has a lot of positives, but not being conveniently located to highways and amenities to me really dampens your overall QOL.

I don't know your buget, but if I had to live in that area again, I'd go with one of the Brunswicks. It's the nicest area of all places mentioned and it's conveniently located. I personally would not pick Edison. I used to live there.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 02-18-2022 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-19-2022, 08:56 AM

318 posts, read 450,557 times
I second the fellow above me. If you are looking for a downtown or community feel I would probably leave out Hillsborough. Nice area but a lot of congestion and tough to get places especially during peak hours.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:03 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post

Hillsborough - The big thing about Hillsborough I don't like is that it is in the middle of nowhere. It is very boring, desolate and has mostly new construction. Homes built in the last 30 years do nothing for me personally, very wasteful and ugly, but that is just my opinion. Rt. 206 is the only major road that runs through it and it is still a 2 lane road - 1 lane each way - you'd be crawling on it during rush hour. Not a good place to be if you commute. I'm sure this town has a lot of positives, but not being conveniently located to highways and amenities to me really dampens your overall QOL.

I'm no fan of Hillsborough, but let's get real: Hillsborough is not in the middle of nowhere & it is far from desolate. Also, a little update: 206 is not just a 2-lane road through Hillsborough any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
I second the fellow above me. If you are looking for a downtown or community feel I would probably leave out Hillsborough. Nice area but a lot of congestion and tough to get places especially during peak hours.
Where are the two of you jokers from and please, DO TELL which towns in NJ have a "downtown" or all the feels of a community with a "downtown" (there is no downtown in So. Bruns., Edison or East Brunswick ) that do NOT also come with a ton of congestion, over-priced homes, tough to get to places in that "downtown" for those "feels" during "peak hours" and aren't in the "middle of nowhere" and/or "desolate"?

I'll wait.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:38 AM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Where are the two of you jokers from and please, DO TELL which towns in NJ have a "downtown" or all the feels of a community with a "downtown" (there is no downtown in So. Bruns., Edison or East Brunswick ) that do NOT also come with a ton of congestion, over-priced homes, tough to get to places in that "downtown" for those "feels" during "peak hours" and aren't in the "middle of nowhere" and/or "desolate"?

I'll wait.
Exactly. Why do you think I left NJ?

Old 02-20-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I'm no fan of Hillsborough, but let's get real: Hillsborough is not in the middle of nowhere & it is far from desolate. Also, a little update: 206 is not just a 2-lane road through Hillsborough any longer.

I'll wait.
Did you forget to take your meds this morning? The fellow is looking for a middle eastern community. Which if you know anything about the state you would know is more prevalent in the other towns mentioned.

Moderator cut: Name-calling/personal attack

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-20-2022 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: As noted/reported

Old 02-20-2022, 06:54 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
The fellow is looking for a middle eastern community.
Pakistan is located on The Indian Subcontinent, not in "The Middle East".

Old 02-20-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Pakistan is located on The Indian Subcontinent, not in "The Middle East".
It's a figure of speech.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:58 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
It's a figure of speech.
IMO, it represents a misunderstanding of World Geography.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
IMO, it represents a misunderstanding of World Geography.
Ok. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind just like your predictions for the governor race .

Last edited by jm2jm3jm4jm5; 02-20-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey