Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 10:10 PM

214 posts, read 350,389 times

Advertisements

The trains are slow to go to midtown compared to the Buses because they stop at many stations. But trains are good options to go to downtown via Hoboken Transfer. Denville, Convent, Morristown has available daily paid parkings. The situation is not bad like town in Summit, Westfield, Millburn etc. Bus park and rides are typically free. For people going to downtown or midtown I have seen lot of people going via Harrison path. But getting in Harrison you would never get a seat for the 30 min journey to Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 09:21 AM

962 posts, read 540,837 times
My wife took the express bus in Wayne, Bus 197B. She worked near Madison Square Park. She would get on around 7:10am, the bus took a little over an hour to Port Authority, then she'd take the subway down to Madison Square Park. She worked 9-5. Last 197B bus leaves port authority at 6pm. God forbid there was traffic or delays or whatever, because if she got there at 6:05, her bus was gone, and she would have to take another bus, and I would have to pick her up. She would get home around 7:10pm. At least the bus stops are a short walk from our home.

All in all, a 12-hour day with commute. It wore her down. Even though she's quite social, and missing that aspect of work, she vows never to do the commute again.

Express busses in Wayne are quicker, but require you to drive to Mother's/23 NJT Plaza/Willowbrook, and pay for parking. On days she would have to take the express bus, it wouldn't save her time, but it cost her more.

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 03-01-2022 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: to actually answer the question

Old 03-01-2022, 03:56 PM

25 posts, read 131,054 times
Lakeland runs a bus to and from Wall Street in weekdays. Frequency has been reduced from four trips a day to one. The bus reaches Water View Park, Parsippany at 6.29am. Wall Street run starts at 5pm.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:24 PM

99 posts, read 63,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
My wife took the express bus in Wayne, Bus 197B. She worked near Madison Square Park. She would get on around 7:10am, the bus took a little over an hour to Port Authority, then she'd take the subway down to Madison Square Park. She worked 9-5. Last 197B bus leaves port authority at 6pm. God forbid there was traffic or delays or whatever, because if she got there at 6:05, her bus was gone, and she would have to take another bus, and I would have to pick her up. She would get home around 7:10pm. At least the bus stops are a short walk from our home.

All in all, a 12-hour day with commute. It wore her down. Even though she's quite social, and missing that aspect of work, she vows never to do the commute again.

Express busses in Wayne are quicker, but require you to drive to Mother's/23 NJT Plaza/Willowbrook, and pay for parking. On days she would have to take the express bus, it wouldn't save her time, but it cost her more.
thanks for that info - wayne is one of our 'better' options for buying a house. needed to know that info - and it ain't pretty.

thanks again.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:37 PM

99 posts, read 63,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post

do you know when the express buses run in the morning and nights ?

thanks again.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,665 times
How is seating on the express buses for tall people (me: 6'3")? Is there room to use a laptop?

Old 02-06-2023, 12:32 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
thanks for that info - wayne is one of our 'better' options for buying a house. needed to know that info - and it ain't pretty.

thanks again.

The Willowbrook express buses and the Wayne/Rt 23 transit center (trains and buses) are in the south part of Wayne. Depending on where in Wayne you buy a house, you could have as much as a 15-20 minute drive during rush hour.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
This is DeCamp Bus I assume? My friend tells me they stop running at 8pm
That's Lakeland Bus. They have four routes (the #33, #44, #66, and #99). Here is a general map (the #32 and #88 have not resumed serve yet). The #33 basically serves Bloomfield, Montclair, and West Caldwell. The #44 serves Lynhurst, North Arlington, Belleville, Newark, and Bloomfield. The #66 basically serves Montclair, West Orange, and Caldwell. The #99 is basically a trip of the #44 that runs to Harrison instead of crossing the Passaic River.

Out of those towns, Bloomfield, Montclair, and Glen Ridge have NJ Transit train service with some trains running to NY Penn Station (and others going to Hoboken and requiring a transfer at Newark Broad Street for NYC service). Lynhurst has trains to Hoboken and isn't too far from the #190 to NYC. For the rest, you have to take a bus to an NJ Transit train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The Willowbrook express buses and the Wayne/Rt 23 transit center (trains and buses) are in the south part of Wayne. Depending on where in Wayne you buy a house, you could have as much as a 15-20 minute drive during rush hour.
Most of Wayne has express bus service available. It's just that the main transit centers are on the south side of town.

The #197/198 run down Valley Road and Hamburg Turnpike (and the #197B covers Alps Road and Black Oak Ridge Road, but only runs at the height of rush hour) The #194 has branches down NJ-23 and Newark-Pompton Turnpike (the main branch is Newark-Pompton Turnpike). In a pinch, you also have the #744/748 buses to Paterson for the train there (Unless there is some horrible traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel, you'll still be better off with the direct bus most of the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
so which of these towns have express buses (or trains) to and from Manhattan from:
Wayne,
Morristown / Morris Plains
Montville
Lincoln Park
Oakland,
Parsipanny,
Denville,
etc...

And how long do they take during peak hour ?

Any ideas ?

If we move to one of these areas I need to be able to get to Manhattan.
As mentioned, Wayne has express buses, Morristown/Morris Plains have the train (Morristown Line). Montville and Lincoln Park have the train (Montclair-Boonton Line to Hoboken. Transfer at Newark Broad for service to NY Penn Station).

Oakland has a couple of trips a day on the Shortline Hudson bus). But other than that, you'd have to drive to Pompton Lakes or Ridgewood for the #194/197.

Lakeland Bus is headquartered out of Dover, and its routes serve that general area and head towards NYC. The #80 starts in Newton and heads down US-206 to the Rockaway Mall, and then heads straight to NYC. The #46 starts in Dover and basically serves the towns along US-46 up to Willowbrook Mall, and heads straight to NY (a trip or two swings through Boonton as well, but I believe most run down US-46 off the top of my head). The #78 is further south and serves areas down by Bernardsville.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Forgot to mention Denville has both the Morristown Line and Montclair-Boonton Line serving it.

Another company that used to be a bit more extensive in the Northern NJ area is Community Coach. They basically serve Livingston and West Orange, with some trips also deviating to the apartment buildings in East Orange. (To my understanding, at one point, they used to serve Morristown, but that is no longer the case).

To clarify my other post, Lakeland and DeCamp are two entirely different companies. Generally speaking Lakeland focuses on points west (e.g. Parsippany, Rockaway, Dover, Newton, etc), compared to DeCamp which focuses on point east (West Orange, West Caldwell, Montclair, Bloomfield, Belleville, North Arlington, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey