Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 09:49 AM

99 posts, read 63,383 times

Advertisements

so which of these towns have express buses (or trains) to and from Manhattan from:
Wayne,
Morristown / Morris Plains
Montville
Lincoln Park
Oakland,
Parsipanny,
Denville,
etc...

And how long do they take during peak hour ?

Any ideas ?

If we move to one of these areas I need to be able to get to Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 11:52 AM

10,441 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Will speak to what I know.

Morristown, Morris Plains, Denville are all on the same train line and probably ~1 hour ride from Morristown, +5 min for Morris Plains and another +5 min Denville. Parsippany is a large town, depending where you are Denville station could be very close or far, but they do not have a train station.

There is a greyhound(?) bus in Morristown I used to take which was a bit a quicker and less money but it was sometime inconsistent if it ever showed up (the driver didn't come to work, no bus for the day) that I just took the train.

A lot of people take the Park and Rides in Parsippany which is ~1 hour ride to the City, Denville is one stop away on the park and ride also.

I stopped commuting into the City 4 years ago by train, but from what I remember some days were on-time, other days expect it to be a half hour-45 minutes more waiting at the tunnel due to congestion. Not sure if things have been fixed.

NJ Transit website will have the train lines and a map of the trainlines which I believe provides a good visual for the state, and the train lines.
https://kenkrasnerhomes.wordpress.co...j-transit-map/

Old 02-25-2022, 11:55 AM

1,142 posts, read 858,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
so which of these towns have express buses (or trains) to and from Manhattan from:
Wayne,
Montville
Lincoln Park
Oakland,
Parsipanny,
Denville,
etc...

Any ideas ?

A friend of mine lives in Caldwell and has been pissed off because ever since the pandemic, those buses stopped running to/from NYC after 7pm in the evening. Those buses are mostly meant for normal commuting hours (weekdays to NYC in the morning and back to NJ in the evening). But since they altered the schedules, for example, you can't take it to NYC in the evening for a Knicks game or attend a concert and have a way to get back. Those private bus companies really screwed people living in Morris and western Essex County. Imagine paying so much to live in an area with such terrible bus service to NYC. Hopefully NJT takes over or expands more routes in those areas.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:33 AM

49 posts, read 39,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
Wayne,
Montville
Lincoln Park
Oakland,
Parsipanny,
Denville,
etc...

Any ideas ?

You might want to decide what your maximum commute time is first, and then use that as a radius for searching. A lot of these towns have drastically different commuting times.

You can plug the towns that have trains into the NJ Transit website for a weekday and look at the schedules that way. Just remember there is additional time to get to the train station and to get to your office in Manhattan if it is not near Penn Station. You can look up bus schedules the same way.

For example, Denville is usually 1 hour 15 mins to NY Penn. So in reality, you're most likely looking at 1 hour 30 mins each way (probably generous as well unless you are REALLY close to the train station and you only work a few blocks from NY Penn) for 3 hours of total commuting time each day.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:44 AM

10,441 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhock3y View Post
You might want to decide what your maximum commute time is first, and then use that as a radius for searching. A lot of these towns have drastically different commuting times.

You can plug the towns that have trains into the NJ Transit website for a weekday and look at the schedules that way. Just remember there is additional time to get to the train station and to get to your office in Manhattan if it is not near Penn Station. You can look up bus schedules the same way.

For example, Denville is usually 1 hour 15 mins to NY Penn. So in reality, you're most likely looking at 1 hour 30 mins each way (probably generous as well unless you are REALLY close to the train station and you only work a few blocks from NY Penn) for 3 hours of total commuting time each day.

This is a good point. It used to br 20 minute drive to the train station, plus 25 minutes to get to the office after getting to Penn Station. All in was 2 hours 15 minutes x 2 4.5 hours a day of commuting. So glad those days are behind, promised myself to never step foot in nyc ever again lol.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:50 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Had a coworker in Denville who took the bus from the Rt 46 Park and Ride in Parsippany. If he left at 7AM he was in the city in like 40 min.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 858,195 times
This is DeCamp Bus I assume? My friend tells me they stop running at 8pm

Old 02-28-2022, 05:32 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Had a coworker in Denville who took the bus from the Rt 46 Park and Ride in Parsippany. If he left at 7AM he was in the city in like 40 min.

Wow. Is that with no stops from parsippany to the city? I take a 7 am bus but from a lot closer than Parsipanny and it takes me 40 mins on a good day.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:49 PM

213 posts, read 350,230 times
The non express bus from beverwyck park and ride takes about 45 min 55 min. Going in to the city is easy with the dedicated bus lane. I take a express bus from Rockaway mall which is further west from Beverwyck. The 6:20 bus reaches PABT at 7:10 typically. Coming back to Rockaway mall takes an hour. Same time to Beverly k park and ride, but after 6pm it takes 35 min to 40 Min to reach Beverwyck park and ride. All of these are Lakeland buses which covers Parsi plant, Denville, Montville. Check the Lakeland bua schedule. The schedule is adjusted based on traffic pattern.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:59 PM

99 posts, read 63,383 times
And if I need to take the train - whats the parking like around the trains stations (in the suburbs mentioned so far that have a train station closy by) ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey