Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 05:19 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’ve never run across that. It must be a specific company’s policy which they probably disclose but in tiny print on the pump.

Funny, my hub was doing the banking yesterday, he got gas at Sam's club, they put a hold on more than he got. I believe he said it was a $100 hold. He probably filled it up.

I've gotten gas there a few times but never looked at the bank account after getting gas. I guess I'll have to look next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Really? I just figured whoever was working in the gas stations would just help people that couldn't do it themselves.

No, they don't have people helping others. A person may luck out that another person getting gas may help them.

My friend in Kansas said no full serve by her. A friend in Virginia said the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 05:19 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m sorry, but NJ is literally the ONLY state that mandates full service. There’s handicapped people nationwide, we all know this right? Why is it that 321 out of 329 million Americans can survive with self-service gasoline but NJ’s 8 million residents cannot?
Not a question of can't, but doesn't want to. To make it clearer I haven't had to pump my own gas since moving to NJ almost 40 years ago. Why would I want to pump it now.

You see the many years NJ had the lowest gas prices in the country and that was with full service.

Unfort our greedy politicians decided that NJ had to charge more in gas taxes which raised the prices and now they're saying if we do self serve the prices will come down.

In regard to every other State is pumping their own gas. Remember what your mother used to say. If everyone jumped off the building would you jump also. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't make it right.

You know how you know a NJ politicians is lying?

There mouth is moving.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:24 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Not a question of can't, but doesn't want to. To make it clearer I haven't had to pump my own gas since moving to NJ almost 40 years ago. Why would I want to pump it now.

You see the many years NJ had the lowest gas prices in the country and that was with full service.

Unfort our greedy politicians decided that NJ had to charge more in gas taxes which raised the prices and now they're saying if we do self serve the prices will come down.

You know how you know a NJ politicians is lying?

There mouth is moving.

Agree, they're lying, no way it will go down.

Once they put self serve here, price goes up, you know there will be threads here about how high our gas is, it was supposed to be cheaper.

They want the luxury of pumping their own, they're going to pay dearly for it, watch. It will be "ooops, the insurance carrier raised the rates, we didn't know this will happen" which is a crock of cr@p because it's happened in every other self serve state.

NJ Gasoline retailers before they added the "C-store" nonsense, used to care about their station owners in NJ. They did all sorts of research that I'm sure this generation is ignoring. They're not my dad's generation of station owners, if any of the owners are even part of it, volunteering their time like the retired guys used to do back when I pumped gas.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:26 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
OK. It got a little confusing, b/c I couldn't tell where the part about disabled people ended and the part about everybody else began.

But yes, disabled people manage to get their gas just fine in other states.
I doubt very much that disabled people all manage the same when it comes to pumping gas. I think there are some who drive and can't easily pump their own gas. It depends on one's mobility.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:33 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Really? I just figured whoever was working in the gas stations would just help people that couldn't do it themselves.
It was a small gas station around the corner from her, one guy that barely spoke English. The other stations were farther up on Roosevelt Blvd. My mom only drove down the street to Rite Aid and Acme by then.

She also had an attitude of “I don’t want to be a bother to anyone”, which galled me because she had no qualms about telling me I “had to” drive 90 minutes to come put gas in her car.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:35 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Funny, my hub was doing the banking yesterday, he got gas at Sam's club, they put a hold on more than he got. I believe he said it was a $100 hold. He probably filled it up.

I've gotten gas there a few times but never looked at the bank account after getting gas. I guess I'll have to look next time.

No, they don't have people helping others. A person may luck out that another person getting gas may help them.

My friend in Kansas said no full serve by her. A friend in Virginia said the same.
I think they just say there will be to calm people who want full serve to stay.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:48 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I doubt very much that disabled people all manage the same when it comes to pumping gas. I think there are some who drive and can't easily pump their own gas. It depends on one's mobility.
Here in NC there’s a call button on every pump. If you can’t pump your own, an employee will come out and do it for you. Seems like a reasonable accommodation for those who need assistance.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:42 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Here in NC there’s a call button on every pump. If you can’t pump your own, an employee will come out and do it for you. Seems like a reasonable accommodation for those who need assistance.
Is this employee just hanging out waiting for the call or are they more than likely behind the register ringing up customers or making sandwiches for others? If the later, you can wait sometime before someone comes out to pump your gas.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:50 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I’m in NC right now. I got gas yesterday. I can’t say for sure what his role was, but there was an employee near the pumps who said hi to me. It’s safe to assume he’d have helped if I asked.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-20-2022, 06:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Full service is indeed such a foreign concept to so many people. My cousin had an ex who lived her whole life in California. Years ago, they moved to New York, and they pulled into a gas station that had an attendant. When the attendant walked up to the car, she panicked and screamed because she thought she was about to be robbed. She had no idea this existed whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey