Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 02:17 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I find that NJ lifers don't get how inconvenient and slow full service only gas is for people who don't want it.
I get it, and I have always preferred to pump my own gas. Luckily, with my Lexus plug-in hybrid, I don't have to buy gas very often.

In the first 6 months of ownership, I drove 5,021 miles, and I used a total of 36.2 gallons of gas. On average, I go to a gas station every 6 weeks or so, and I purchase ~7 gallons each time. I could actually buy gas less often, but I don't like to let the tank go below 1/2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 03:52 PM

198 posts, read 276,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I get it, and I have always preferred to pump my own gas. Luckily, with my Lexus plug-in hybrid, I don't have to buy gas very often.

In the first 6 months of ownership, I drove 5,021 miles, and I used a total of 36.2 gallons of gas. On average, I go to a gas station every 6 weeks or so, and I purchase ~7 gallons each time. I could actually buy gas less often, but I don't like to let the tank go below 1/2.
How much has your electric bill increased in those first 6 months?

Old 06-29-2023, 04:07 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Judging by family who have always lived in this state, I find that NJ lifers don't get how inconvenient and slow full service only gas is for people who don't want it.

If the attendant takes too long I just pump myself. That’s rarely the case though.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:58 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If the attendant takes too long I just pump myself. That’s rarely the case though.
I've done it before, but some places get testy about it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-29-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
Mine went up about $70 on average, and my car is FULL electric. It's very simple to figure out. Take your average monthly mileage and divide it by 3. That's a rough estimate of where your kwh usage will be. Then multiply that number by whatever your kwh rate is.

Long story short, I pay $.12 per kwh and get 3 miles per kwh, ergo, $.04 per mile.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-29-2023, 08:34 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times
I don't think people who want to pump their own because they think full service takes too long even when all the pumps are being used. Don't they know waiting for their vehicles to fully charge when we all have to switch to EV vehicles. Think that few 3 to 4 minutes is a long wait when all pumps are being used by the attendant wait and see the long wait to fully charge.

Even without full service people who pump their own gas still have to wait for the person in front of them to finish pumping their gas and then pay if by cash or if they must go inside to pay. Nobody moves their vehicle for the next person until they are done and paid.

Last edited by staystill; 06-29-2023 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: If I am still driving by 2035 I will try a hybrid and hope it doesn't take to long to charge

Old 06-30-2023, 04:36 AM

When you drive an EV - as the typical NJ homeowner - you only wait on roadtrips. 99% of your driving will be accomplished by waking up in the morning with a full “tank”. There is no wait.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:35 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
I don't recall the exact figures because there is some variation from month to month, but I have calculated that the electricity used to charge the car's batteries costs less than half of what I was spending on gas for my previous car.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:55 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Mine went up about $70 on average, and my car is FULL electric. It's very simple to figure out. Take your average monthly mileage and divide it by 3. That's a rough estimate of where your kwh usage will be. Then multiply that number by whatever your kwh rate is.

Long story short, I pay $.12 per kwh and get 3 miles per kwh, ergo, $.04 per mile.
Thanks for this short and simple calculation of EV costs and consumption of power. I don't have an EV, or an ICE car, but this is good to know.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't recall the exact figures because there is some variation from month to month, but I have calculated that the electricity used to charge the car's batteries costs less than half of what I was spending on gas for my previous car.
I concur.

I find that often, people don’t understand how their electric bill is calculated. They just pay it. They don’t realize that there are simple calculations they can do while considering the switch. I pretended to have an EV for a few months. Every mile I drove, I calculated as if it was electricity instead of gas. I use the more realistic 3 miles per kwh instead of the typical 4, even though lately I have been achieving the latter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey