Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 09:32 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I concur.

I find that often, people don’t understand how their electric bill is calculated. They just pay it. They don’t realize that there are simple calculations they can do while considering the switch. I pretended to have an EV for a few months. Every mile I drove, I calculated as if it was electricity instead of gas. I use the more realistic 3 miles per kwh instead of the typical 4, even though lately I have been achieving the latter.
I should point out that my previous car--a Subaru Outback with the rare 3.6 liter six-cylinder engine-- averaged 24 mpg in local driving, and I was able to eke-out 29 mpg on long highway drives. Not an economy champ, but not exactly a gas hog, either.

However, that six-cylinder engine was really nice to have--especially on highway entrance ramps. But, my Lexus plug-in hybrid is actually much more powerful, and the fact that I only have to fill the tank every 6 weeks or so makes it a true win-win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 04:41 PM

2,671 posts, read 1,190,542 times
Quote:
When you drive an EV - as the typical NJ homeowner - you only wait on roadtrips. 99% of your driving will be accomplished by waking up in the morning with a full “tank”. There is no wait.

That is a good point for the homeowner. But I see it here where most people do not own their own home and have no other choice but to go out of their way to recharge their EV. I see people have a friend or family give them a ride to work then they go back to their car and move it when it's done charging. Most people do not want to wait for it to charge especially when it's not convenient at their home.

I had a Brother who charged his car at home and he use to ask me why I didn't get one. When he realized I had no way to do that where I lived and I would have to sit around in the car waiting for it to charge he knew what PIA that is and worse in winter.

I hope they find a way to make it quicker to recharge but being retired now I do have more time. Would be nice if they have them by diners and stores where people could shop and have lunch while wait.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:11 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
That’s probably what we will see: a lot more in parking lots with stores/restaurants where people tend to spend significant time.

I’m very, very pro-EV, but only for homeowners or renters with access to charging. Basically, if you have home charging, they are a dream. Waaaaay more convenient than gas. If not, it would suck.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-01-2023, 07:08 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Judging by family who have always lived in this state, I find that NJ lifers don't get how inconvenient and slow full service only gas is for people who don't want it.
What perplexes me is that occasionally I've run into people, and yes, it's usually women, who have never pumped their own gas. I mean, it's really possible to live your entire life only ever buying gas in New Jersey?

About ten years ago, another coworker and I discovered that we both like to write, and we took a trip together to a writers retreat in Vermont. She offered to drive/use her vehicle. We were upstate NY and she needed gas and pulled into the gas station. And then just sat there.

I said "You know this is a self-serve station, right?", laughing, thinking she just wasn't thinking about where we were.

The look of shock and horror on her face. "OMG. Do you know how to DO that?"

She was younger than me, 50 or close to it at the time. Had never pumped her own gas before. Still don't know if she ever has, because I did all the gas pumping on that trip, lol.

I can go either way. I don't mind an extra 30 seconds waiting for an attendant to stroll over. If they are nowhere in sight, I will go elsewhere, but that's not usually the case. But if I am out of state, I just jump out of the car. The point is to get gas. Not going to wring my hands over whether I have to pump it myself or not.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
That’s probably what we will see: a lot more in parking lots with stores/restaurants where people tend to spend significant time.

I’m very, very pro-EV, but only for homeowners or renters with access to charging. Basically, if you have home charging, they are a dream. Waaaaay more convenient than gas. If not, it would suck.
I'd consider it, but I am in a condo/townhouse complex. We can't have them here.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The look of shock and horror on her face. "OMG. Do you know how to DO that?"
Helpless people--of any gender--always astound me. I can think back to my helpless former boss--a late middle-aged guy--who went into a semi panic attack because he needed to have a photocopy made while the department secretary was out to lunch. I was on my way to the copy machine anyway, so I offered to make copies for him.

His incredulous response was, "You actually know how to operate the copy machine???".
I told him that I did know how to do it as I always made my own copies, rather than shoving-off that task to the secretary. He seemed to not believe me, and asked me again if I REALLY knew how to do it.

I told him to follow me so that I could demonstrate how to make a copy, and he gazed--wide-eyed--as I fed the originals into the machine, selected the number of copies, and pushed the start button. After I handed his copies to him, he said something along the lines of... I don't think I could ever learn that task.

Yes, he was a very strange man.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Helpless people--of any gender--always astound me. I can think back to my helpless former boss--a late middle-aged guy--who went into a semi panic attack because he needed to have a photocopy made while the department secretary was out to lunch. I was on my way to the copy machine anyway, so I offered to make copies for him.

His incredulous response was, "You actually know how to operate the copy machine???".
I told him that I did know how to do it as I always made my own copies, rather than shoving-off that task to the secretary. He seemed to not believe me, and asked me again if I REALLY knew how to do it.

I told him to follow me so that I could demonstrate how to make a copy, and he gazed--wide-eyed--as I fed the originals into the machine, selected the number of copies, and pushed the start button. After I handed his copies to him, he said something along the lines of... I don't think I could ever learn that task.

Yes, he was a very strange man.
That is weird. And an old boss of mine, now deceased (dropped dead on his living room floor after coming back from running), used to stand there making his copies at the copier, located across aisle from my desk. He would tell everyone, "It's fun to make copies listening to MQ talk to herself." I was actually talking to my computer, but I think the distinction was lost on him. At any rate, he was the opposite of your boss. As a matter of fact, if you referred to him as boss, he would correct you with "coworker".

But there are people who just refuse to learn so that others will always do things for them. I have a friend who complained about her computer being too slow. She never cleared the history. I've twice shown her how to do that, suggesting she write it down if she can't remember, and when I am done, she still says, "I don't know how to do that." Yes you do. I just showed you.

Oh, she's the same with copy and paste. "I don't know how to do that." I show her. After: "I don't know how to do that." Like these are some magic, hidden tricks instead of a couple of simple steps a monkey could learn to do.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:23 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
I’m pretty sure I have family members who’ve never pumped gas for themselves. It really is crazy. But if you only occasionally drive to NY/PA, you may never need to get gas in those states.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-01-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is weird.
Another example of his weirdness--which actually brings us back on topic!--had to do with his method of fueling his gas-hog Buick. He would only buy $3 or $4 worth of gas at a time because, "If you tell them to fill the tank, they can cheat you".
When asked exactly how "they can cheat you", he couldn't explain it, except to say that "somebody told me".

Because his Buick got ~12 miles per gallon, he had to go to the gas station every day, thus wasting an incredible amount of his time. I could go on with more examples of his bizarre behaviors, but I would rather forget about working for him.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...e-gas-law.html

It appears as if Oregon hasn't passed this law yet. The governor hasn't signed it yet. Don't underestimate a nanny state's ability to mess things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey