Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 04:42 PM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Remember how both parties fooled us with the latest gas price increase protocol?

Murphy threw his arms up at the latest increase saying, 'it wasn't me'. The law now allows the state to up the gas tax if the threshold for expected tax profits are not met the previous year.

All out of state gas stations have pump your own and must have the equipment needed to monitor the pumps, etc. All attached to a store. Would put many stations out of business and consolidate stations under a single owner.

In Nj, low initial price estimates are the traditional power bait our unethical pols use to fleece the taxpayers, whether it be infrastructure projects or self serve gas price reductions.

It doesn't "allow him" to raise the gas taxes, it requires him to. The bill Christie passed ties gas taxes to road revenue. If road revenue, tolls, is down for some reason (like Covid) and the budget won't be balanced in that department, it requires that gas taxes be raised to make up the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 09:15 PM

2,671 posts, read 1,192,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'd consider it, but I am in a condo/townhouse complex. We can't have them here.

That is my problem. Can't have them here either. I live in a condo complex too. I hate pumping my own gas. I remember I had an employer years ago who told a coworker who pumped her own gas just to show she can do the same as any man can do and she showed up smelling like gas.

He told her if she ever came to work smelling like gas he would fire her. Then made it clear to all of us not to come to work smelling like gas.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:19 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
I owned a series of classic Mustangs which had the fuel inlet in the center, on the back, between the bumper and deck lid. It was incredibly easy to spill fuel. I would have straight up refused to have my fuel pumped for me as gasoline wrinkles and lifts the paint, and NJ d@mn skippy won’t pay me for that. So yeah, it’s about time NJ got with the program.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:37 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Thankfully they are not allowed to fill boats or motorcycles. It’s always fun rolling up to a gas pump in my Tesla, towing my jetski.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-02-2023, 10:38 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
That is my problem. Can't have them here either. I live in a condo complex too. I hate pumping my own gas. I remember I had an employer years ago who told a coworker who pumped her own gas just to show she can do the same as any man can do and she showed up smelling like gas.

He told her if she ever came to work smelling like gas he would fire her. Then made it clear to all of us not to come to work smelling like gas.

Sounds like attempted murder

Old 07-02-2023, 12:43 PM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:

probably shouldn’t be driving either

Old 07-03-2023, 08:23 AM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
I had a co-worker that showed me a lot of things regarding the computer and some shortcuts. He was good at explaining. I learned from other coworkers as well. When I was younger, my Dad showed me how to pump gas, change tires (although some are pneumatic and impossible to move as I’ve become older), check oil, etc.

There has to be a willingness to teach and a willingness to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Helpless people--of any gender--always astound me. I can think back to my helpless former boss--a late middle-aged guy--who went into a semi panic attack because he needed to have a photocopy made while the department secretary was out to lunch. I was on my way to the copy machine anyway, so I offered to make copies for him.

His incredulous response was, "You actually know how to operate the copy machine???".
I told him that I did know how to do it as I always made my own copies, rather than shoving-off that task to the secretary. He seemed to not believe me, and asked me again if I REALLY knew how to do it.

I told him to follow me so that I could demonstrate how to make a copy, and he gazed--wide-eyed--as I fed the originals into the machine, selected the number of copies, and pushed the start button. After I handed his copies to him, he said something along the lines of... I don't think I could ever learn that task.

Yes, he was a very strange man.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:01 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
When I was younger, my Dad showed me how to pump gas, change tires (although some are pneumatic and impossible to move as I’ve become older), check oil, etc.
You have tires on your car that are not pneumatic?

Old 07-03-2023, 06:44 PM

2,671 posts, read 1,192,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I had a co-worker that showed me a lot of things regarding the computer and some shortcuts. He was good at explaining. I learned from other coworkers as well. When I was younger, my Dad showed me how to pump gas, change tires (although some are pneumatic and impossible to move as I’ve become older), check oil, etc.

There has to be a willingness to teach and a willingness to learn
I learned from a boyfriend and still hated it. There are men who hate pumping their own gas too it's not just Jersey Girls. I guess we are use to what we grow up with and I noticed with myself getting older sure doesn't help.

I hope they make the EV safer, affordable, recharge faster and not need oil. Since it still needs oil I will try a hybrid first. My sister tells me EV's take away jobs. I don't want to take away jobs from people but if the law says we must switch to EV then that's what we have to do.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:24 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
I hope they make the EV safer, affordable, recharge faster and not need oil. Since it still needs oil I will try a hybrid first. My sister tells me EV's take away jobs. I don't want to take away jobs from people but if the law says we must switch to EV then that's what we have to do.
You have it backwards. An EV does not use engine oil, simply because it has a battery-powered electric motor (or two...) and it doesn't have an engine. On the other hand, because hybrids have a gasoline-powered engine in addition to an electric motor and batteries, hybrids DO use oil.

I would love to hear your sister's explanation of exactly HOW "EVs take away jobs". EVs--whether they are made by Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, or any other manufacturer--are made on assembly lines that are staffed by human beings--just like the assembly lines that churn-out gasoline or diesel powered vehicles.

Last edited by Retriever; 07-03-2023 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey