Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 03:24 PM

572 posts, read 280,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I thought it was actually illegal now to charge different amounts between cash and credit for gas, so I was surprised to see that here. The rare full service stations in pump-your-own states are so overpriced only people who are desperate or unable to pump their own go there.

"Full service" in the old days meant they would check your oil, top off your windshield wiper fluid, add air to your tires, etc. It really was full service.

NJ is an odd duck. My son was amazed (jealous) that I can buy gas at Costco without being a member .
How does that work?
I stopped buying at my local Costco because the lines have become so long. 20+ in each line. I can buy close to Costco price at a nearby cash only place, that always has a pump free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 03:28 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
How does that work?
I stopped buying at my local Costco because the lines have become so long. 20+ in each line. I can buy close to Costco price at a nearby cash only place, that always has a pump free.
I don't know the legal jargon, but in New Jersey it's illegal to force someone to be a member of Costco to buy their gas. It's not nationwide.

I rarely have long lines at mine but I live in the semi-boonies. When I do, I just check email and listen to the radio. People need to chillax.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:29 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
I don't know the legal jargon, but in New Jersey it's illegal to force someone to be a member of Costco to buy their gas. It's not nationwide.

I rarely have long lines at mine but I live in the semi-boonies. When I do, I just check email and listen to the radio. People need to chillax.
And, from what I understand, the same holds true if you want to buy booze at Costco. You have to be allowed into the store by law, at least the state I live in.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
And, from what I understand, the same holds true if you want to buy booze at Costco. You have to be allowed into the store by law, at least the state I live in.
Unfortunately, that's not an option for us....

Old 03-11-2022, 03:42 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not an option for us....
+1
Anyone can buy gas and Rx drugs at Costcos in NJ, but only Costco members can buy booze.
And, because of NJ's highly-restrictive and outdated liquor laws that were dictated many decades ago by Mom & Pop liquor store owners, it isn't possible to hold more than two (or, is it possibly a total of three??) liquor licenses in NJ. Hence the availability of liquor in only Costco's Edison store, plus one more Costco (maybe Clifton??) in Northern NJ.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:46 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
Because I am a retired person who can go there at any time of day, I normally go to my local Costco gas station in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, at which time I can usually pull directly up to a pump. The worst case scenario is that there might be one car ahead of me.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:57 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:

I never knew that. Unfortunately no Costco on my route or near me. I did download the Conoco app and if I pay through the app I save 5 cents a gallon.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:46 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm not driving ten or fifteen minutes to Costco just to buy gas. I didn't even know they sold gas until this thread, but I only ever went to one once when a friend asked me to drive her to get her glasses. The glasses counter was right inside the door, and there was a beefy woman at the door who demanded to see a Costco card. My friend showed hers and said she was picking up glasses and that I had driven her. I was allowed to pass.

While my friend was waiting for her glasses, I noticed some big TVs on display nearby, and went over to look at one. Beefy Security Guard Woman was at my side in two seconds flat telling me I was not allowed to be in that section because I was not a member. I retreated back to the glasses counter.

What the hell. After that, I doubt I will ever go to a Costco again. But but but they have the most wonderful CAKES!!!! is the Costco-fan cry I hear most often. Well, I do not foresee any time in my future when I will need to buy a cake, and should the unforeseen occur, I'm sure I can find a satisfactory one closer to home, just as I can find gas much closer to home.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not driving ten or fifteen minutes to Costco just to buy gas. I didn't even know they sold gas until this thread, but I only ever went to one once when a friend asked me to drive her to get her glasses. The glasses counter was right inside the door, and there was a beefy woman at the door who demanded to see a Costco card. My friend showed hers and said she was picking up glasses and that I had driven her. I was allowed to pass.

While my friend was waiting for her glasses, I noticed some big TVs on display nearby, and went over to look at one. Beefy Security Guard Woman was at my side in two seconds flat telling me I was not allowed to be in that section because I was not a member. I retreated back to the glasses counter.

What the hell. After that, I doubt I will ever go to a Costco again. But but but they have the most wonderful CAKES!!!! is the Costco-fan cry I hear most often. Well, I do not foresee any time in my future when I will need to buy a cake, and should the unforeseen occur, I'm sure I can find a satisfactory one closer to home, just as I can find gas much closer to home.
I have to drive 10 or 15 minutes to do anything.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I have to drive 10 or 15 minutes to do anything.
LOL, then I guess it doesn't matter. Where I live in NJ is right off 35 and near Red Bank so everything I need is close by. I'm cut off from most of it in a hidden enclave by virtue of where I live, but it's all out there.

For me to go to Costco, I'd probably pass ten other gas stations! Plus the aggravation of heavy traffic and lights on the way.

There are advantages and disadvantages to living a bit "out". In my alternate universe, the nearest supermarket was a 25 minute drive. It was five miles just to get to the main road that would take me to town another 8 miles away. I loved it, though. And your gas is still cheaper than it is up here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey