Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 02:28 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My exact feeling.

I don't think they will lower the price when it is self-serve either. I think self serve will be the current price, and full-serve will cost extra.

Yeah, sort of like that surcharge you pay for paying with a card that they try to pass as a “discount” for paying cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 03:21 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yeah, sort of like that surcharge you pay for paying with a card that they try to pass as a “discount” for paying cash.
Exactly like that.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:11 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,187,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
In the minority here, but where i live, have never waited long to get gas pumped... and have zero desire to pump my own... especially in the dead of winter!!!
I'm with you on this. I will add that not everyone can pump their own gas. There people who are and have handicap, arthritis, osteoporosis with bone on bone. Getting out of the car to pump gas in the snow, ice and cold is not what I want either but supposedly a majority of people like going out of their way to fill up their cars.

I never received a poll for pump your own or not anywhere so where is this poll that claims more people want to show off they pump their own like their friends and relatives out of state do? Where is the vote ballot for everyone?

This to me is really just a way to get people to want electric vehicles. When people get sick and tired of having to wait for the electric cars to fully charge they won't want that anymore.

Now those attendants can get Government Assistance and bring up the taxes even higher. I won't use uber or lyft either to avoid pumping my own gas so that isn't going to help the economy either.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:19 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
In the minority here, but where i live, have never waited long to get gas pumped... and have zero desire to pump my own... especially in the dead of winter!!!

Looks like I'm very late to the thread but I feel the same. I do not have issues pulling up to pump probably 19 out of 20 stops. May even be higher than that. It's every now and then that I don't get started within seconds of pulling in.

I personally don't want to pump my own, nice days, winter, rain storm. Eff that!

Having said that, there are times when the guy is busy after he starts me, I'll finish my own up and leave. They don't have an issue with that, it's already been paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I do agree, they won't be pumping the gas but someone will be there behind the counter anyway. It will probably bring down labor though at some of the larger gas stations, that have multiple attendants.

It will take just as long because you'll have to now walk inside to prepay.

Not only that, they will put up to $100 hold on your credit card for a few days. I was just reminded of that when I had fraud on my credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
NJ is a safe state, always looking out for our welfare. could you imagine the human carnage if NJ allowed people to pump their own gasoline????

It would not be pretty, my friend!

California warning about the gasoline vapors causing cancer.... who wants cancer??? who wants to smell like shell supreme?

Wait a sec, what is the threshold for prosecution in the event of theft in Nj??? could be if NJ continues to follow in California legal precedent, self pumpers may be in for FREE gasoline!!!!!

Then the attendants... hello, I said 20 dollars, not filler up!!!! Sorry to interrupt you phone conversation. Indeed the rapt attention of the attendant has saved countless lives and prevented human conflagration. why no immolation, must be divine intervention

Really can't cite the safety record in other, 'pump your own', states because this is New Jersey, where the world comes to be amazed and laugh at our political antics. Judging from voter selection of an unbroken string of democrats in control, who can trust those voters to safely pump their own highly flammable fuel?????

I would imagine if NJ had pump your own, each station would be required to have a small store attached, as in other states. That would be costly to owners.

It would take quite an imagination and naivete to believe that going to pump your own would result in lower gas prices.

I always pump my own when filling up the vette.

You bring up a great point, cancer.

I pumped gas from about 1976 when I was 11 (part time, weekends and summer) until I was 28. I worked after school when I turned 15. Family owned business.

I have breathed in the nasty fumes for almost 20 years. The oxygenated gas was the pits, talk about having a headache, I was always sick too with some sort of sinus infection. That was back before vapor recovery.

I've tested positive for benzene exposure so will most likely get AML Leukemia like my dad died from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think you’ll pay cheaper prices. PA gas has always been more than NJ. A small station owner once told me the required liability insurance for self serve costs more than an employee. That will especially hurt family owned stations where they have relatives who pump the gas. Big chains will benefit most.

They’ll raise the price for full serve but they won’t lower the price for self serve.

Finally a voice of reason. Right, PA is more, which I've seen whenever I've gone into PA. Just like their cigarettes, soda, everything costs more there.

You also bring up the best point, insurance will be sky high because they have to cover Joe Customer in case he spills.

I don't care what people say, they think the price will go down, like how bad do you really want to pump your own gas? I can't believe people have that little time to stop at a gas station to wait a few minutes for someone to pump it. Big deal.

I don't know where you get gas, I go to the Sunoco out by you in Collings Lakes, rarely a wawa, Shell by me, Sunoco by Burlington, some times Sam's club. The only place I have to wait is Sam's. Sam's has a serious help issue, or they recently did. I don't go there often. They always have a long line of about 5 cars in front of me. Pumping our own would not make it go faster, it would probably go slower if we had to go in the booth to pay first.

I can't believe the NJ Gasoline "and C-store" retailers are actually behind this bill. Back when my father was alive, he'd been with the NJ gasoline retailers since the early 70's. My father and the rest of the old timers are rolling around in their graves right now with this self service talk.

This was back when I was pumping gas, California was one of the only states to have self serve, I'd gone out there for a week, had to be about 1988, gas was $1.00 more per gallon due to self serve. I'd taken pictures of price signs when I was out there which were used at their Trenton rallies.

When my dad died, he was so proud of all he did to stop self serve in NJ that it was in his obituary.

Go to a self serve state, their prices are more than ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There won't be a choice. That's what happened to my mom in PA. Fewer and fewer places offered full service. Dad died when she was 70 years old. She never got the hang of using those pumps no matter how many times I assisted her.

Right because once they bring in self serve, it will be hard to find full serve for elderly or disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here, here! Self-service should be an option. In fact, they should be self-service by default (like every other state) and one full-service pump where some ******* comes out and wants to assist the lazy.

Self serve will take over, you will not be able to find full serve period, just like every other state. I have friends all over, once they bring in self serve, full serve is gone. Prices will rise. It will not make gas cheaper.

Quote:
I never knew that. Unfortunately no Costco on my route or near me. I did download the Conoco app and if I pay through the app I save 5 cents a gallon.

No Costco, Sam's is the comparable for us. Lines are huge no matter what time of the day you go.

That's the one thing I like about my side of town, I have gasoline choices where you have Wawa, Sunoco in Collings Lakes or the Conoco which is pretty far down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Only time I sat in a line for gas was after Sandy. Our workplace in Jersey City was flooded, my home lost power for six days, and I recall being on a conference call on my Blackberry while sitting in my car on the gas line.

Oh, and back in the 70s when I first got my license and there was the big gas shortage. My brother and I got up at 4 a.m. to get on line to get our parents' cars filled. We thought it was an adventure.

But normally, even though I do live where there is a lot of traffic, I'm not going to sit on line for gas. I'll wait until there is no line.

I remember that, the odd and even days lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I think the reference to NJ as "the only state" is wrong........ Unless it recently changed, Oregon state law also mandates full-service gas.

I'd heard they went self serve but google tells me that's wrong, they are mostly still full serve too, they do have some places where it's self serve. They like NJ are trying to pass a self service bill.

Quote:
I never knew that. Unfortunately no Costco on my route or near me. I did download the Conoco app and if I pay through the app I save 5 cents a gallon.

No Costco, Sam's is the comparable for us. Lines are huge no matter what time of the day you go.

That's the one thing I like about my side of town, I have gasoline choices where you have Wawa, Sunoco in Collings Lakes or the Conoco which is pretty far down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My exact feeling.

I don't think they will lower the price when it is self-serve either. I think self serve will be the current price, and full-serve will cost extra.

You're part right, full serve will go up but so will self serve because now the insurance to cover Joe Customer will go up, so they pass the cost to the gas price. Watch. It happened in every other state that went self serve, here too.

They claim it will get cheaper because they're not paying an attendant, well that's a lie, they still have to pay a cashier, then add the surcharge on your charge card where they hold $100 per gas purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I'm with you on this. I will add that not everyone can pump their own gas. There people who are and have handicap, arthritis, osteoporosis with bone on bone. Getting out of the car to pump gas in the snow, ice and cold is not what I want either but supposedly a majority of people like going out of their way to fill up their cars.

I never received a poll for pump your own or not anywhere so where is this poll that claims more people want to show off they pump their own like their friends and relatives out of state do? Where is the vote ballot for everyone?

This to me is really just a way to get people to want electric vehicles. When people get sick and tired of having to wait for the electric cars to fully charge they won't want that anymore.

Now those attendants can get Government Assistance and bring up the taxes even higher. I won't use uber or lyft either to avoid pumping my own gas so that isn't going to help the economy either.

The polls are hard to find. I have not found one yet because I too would love to vote.

NJ 101.5 has been talking about this regularly the last few months. Dominsky and Doyle are pro pump your own. They don't want to hear the cons, even when someone out of state calls to tell them the reality of pumping your own, the prices, no full serve unless you live in an area that has a lot of islands, the credit card hold. I called in once about 2 months ago, almost did about a week ago but I turned it on too late.

Trust me when I say there are negatives to pumping your own, that doesn't even touch on spilling gas on yourself and breathing in the fumes.

It's going to take just as long to get gas too because you have to get out of your car to prepay unless it's on the pump.

If people really want to pump their own gas, go drive to a neighboring state to do it.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:37 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Where do they put credit card holds for self-serve gas? I’ve never seen that, ever. I’ve been to 43 of 50 states, 42 of which have self-serve gas (because 49 of 50 have self-serve gas). Most of my travels have been driving. I’m in North Carolina right now. On this trip I’ve pumped gas in Maryland and NC. No credit card hold.

Literally every other state has had self-serve gas forever except for Oregon. The sky is not falling New Jerseyans!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-18-2022, 11:01 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Where do they put credit card holds for self-serve gas? I’ve never seen that, ever. I’ve been to 43 of 50 states, 42 of which have self-serve gas (because 49 of 50 have self-serve gas). Most of my travels have been driving. I’m in North Carolina right now. On this trip I’ve pumped gas in Maryland and NC. No credit card hold.

Literally every other state has had self-serve gas forever except for Oregon. The sky is not falling New Jerseyans!

I'm not sure, when I called Bank of America for credit card fraud, a gas hold was mentioned that will drop off the account in a few days. It says they put a hold on up to $100. It did not specify where.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:28 AM

I’ve never run across that. It must be a specific company’s policy which they probably disclose but in tiny print on the pump.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-19-2022, 07:29 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
The only thing I've seen is sometimes there's a "test" charge of $1.00 followed by the actual charge. HBO Max does that, too, every month.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:26 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
The only thing I've seen is sometimes there's a "test" charge of $1.00 followed by the actual charge. HBO Max does that, too, every month.
Yes, I get that at self-serve places a lot.

Pumped my own gas the other day and got a receipt right there. $62 and change, which is about $50 USD. 37+ liters at 1.679 per liter. I was between a quarter and E. Never before have I spent $50 to fill up my Corolla!

Old 04-19-2022, 08:54 AM

I’ve seen the $1.00 as well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey