Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 11:34 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
No more plastic grocery bags in the grocery stores. So you bring your own recyclable grocery bags, not a problem. However, if you order pick-up or delivery, you are forced to purchase their recyclable grocery bags. At places like Stop N Stop they are 50 cents each. So if your pick-up order has 7 bags, the charge is $3.50. Not a huge deal in terms of cost, because the bags can be reused. However, if you do a pick-up order each week where you are forced to purchase 7 bags that $3.50 a week for about $175.00 a year. But that's not the worst of it, that is an annual accumulation of 350 bags per year. What is your household going to do with 350 recycle bags accumulating each year? Throwing them out sounds wasteful and not good for the environment.

Unless there is another alternative, I see this as killing their pick-up and delivery service for many households.
All stores have different policies about this. ShopRite charges a flat fee of $1.50 per delivery or pick up order, and that covers as many bags as you need. There is a list somewhere on newjersey.com that lists each supermarket and how they are handling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They can tax the bags now. That’s all this has ever been about. NowI have to buy big plastic bags whenever I make an unexpected stop at the store. I also have to buy small plastic bags for the small garbage cans around my house. This November and next I’ll be so happy to vote for every non-incumbent on the ballot. Probably won’t change anything in NJ but I’ll even beg others in my neighborhood to vote against them, something I’ve never done before.
Why don’t you just keep the bags in your car for unexpected stops? Since this bill passed well over a year ago, I started hoarding bags long ago and have enough for probably the next few years.

They are a problem, in that they never break down and there is no place to keep billions of bags a year. They end up in the oceans, killing turtles and sea birds who get caught in them. They wash up on the shores of other countries that had nothing to do with creating the mess that lines the shore lines. You can Google videos of scuba divers in places like Bali and Fiji pushing plastic bags out of their way.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why don’t you just keep the bags in your car for unexpected stops? Since this bill passed well over a year ago, I started hoarding bags long ago and have enough for probably the next few years.

They are a problem, in that they never break down and there is no place to keep billions of bags a year. They end up in the oceans, killing turtles and sea birds who get caught in them. They wash up on the shores of other countries that had nothing to do with creating the mess that lines the shore lines. You can Google videos of scuba divers in places like Bali and Fiji pushing plastic bags out of their way.
Isn't a lot of the plastic in the oceans dumped off ships, passenger and freight?

Old 06-06-2022, 12:02 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why do you hate thrift shops?

I've donated stuff to the one at our local SPCA.
Just a general disdain for Goodwill. They take advantage of the tax system, they are a giant cesspool of deductions, stopped selling items of value in the stores and started pricing finds for market value on ebay, pay employees minimum wage or some disabled workers below minimum wage while the ceo and executives make millions.

Maybe the church route is the way to go. Ill look into it.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:

None of that waste is US related along with the giant garbage mass in the Ocean. China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Sr Lanka and Thailand dump most of their trash into the Ocean.

The plastic bags from grocery stores decompose in 10-20 years in landfills, im sure the heavy ones they are selling now requires a thousand years to decompose.

Also something else interesting, your trash ends up in the local landfill, much of recycled plastics are sold to China and Asia which are sorted and dumped into the Ocean. Its actually better for the environment to trash your trash instead of recycling in many cases.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:15 PM

58 posts, read 63,026 times
If people reuse the bags there will be far less polution than with plastic, even taking China into account.

If people don't use the bags we're screwed. Yesterday there was trash washing up in the ocean, it's rare that happens in this part of NJ, but it was mainly plastic and cardboard I could see in the muck.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiversguy View Post
If people reuse the bags there will be far less polution than with plastic, even taking China into account.

If people don't use the bags we're screwed. Yesterday there was trash washing up in the ocean, it's rare that happens in this part of NJ, but it was mainly plastic and cardboard I could see in the muck.

Were not screwed as long as people dont litter, or illegally dump. Plastic bags decompose in 10-20 years. I was in LBI for 10 days and didnt see any trash in my stay.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:27 PM

58 posts, read 63,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Were not screwed as long as people dont litter, or illegally dump. Plastic bags decompose in 10-20 years. I was in LBI for 10 days and didnt see any trash in my stay.

Depends on the currents. In Northern Monmouth, most of the time the water is clean and tropical looking, we get dolphins nearly every day and the occasional whale. Once in a while though, days like yesterday.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Isn't a lot of the plastic in the oceans dumped off ships, passenger and freight?
I don’t know but it comes from somewhere and there aren’t any viable alternatives that I know if to keep billions and billions of bags.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
Quote:
I don’t know but it comes from somewhere and there aren’t any viable alternatives that I know if to keep billions and billions of bags.
I am under the impression that the big clot of plastic floating in the Pacific is plastic bottles and containers that are breaking up into small pieces that the fish eat. Why don't the navies of the world get together and start scooping it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey