Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2024, 04:55 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,187,389 times

Advertisements

I am not changing I like my insulated zipper large bags I purchased years ago. I keep them in the car all the time. Only twice I forgot to bring them in the store.

I need to find a place in here to use the white nice ones, but cheap, I have to buy when I have the supermarket deliver to my home.

I used one so far for vacuum attachments I hang in the store closet. Another is for personal stuff until I get a cabinet in the bathroom.

I won't throw them away because I know eventually I will use them. As far as left over plastic bags from the supermarket them I still keep in case I ever adopt a kitty. They are good to use for used litter. I was exceptional at scooping immediately so my cats could always be clean. The plastic bags are also good for used cooking grease, small left overs ready to be thrown out, and most of all for the Styrofoam carton I break up that had raw chicken in that stinks up the whole kitchen. I put that in the bag, tie and ad freeze it until garbage day. So for me they come in handy I no longer want them for supermarket shopping they never hold as much as my zipper bags and they are not insulated for summer/winter plus everything falls out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 04:57 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well that’s your fault for not bringing them with you. I have a set I ordered from Amazon when this crap first started in NY. They stay in the car. Then a few more that I have collected from other people.
So you don’t refuse to buy them lol

I usually get my groceries delivered but when I do go shopping in person I always forget the bags in the car, so I end up bagging my stuff when I get back to my car.

One interesting observation has been that Chinese restaurants seem to have completely ignored the plastic bag ban.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:02 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

I usually get my groceries delivered but when I do go shopping in person I always forget the bags in the car, so I end up bagging my stuff when I get back to my car.

One interesting observation has been that Chinese restaurants seem to have completely ignored the plastic bag ban.
Under the auspices of the government program. Somewhere on this forum there is a post from when it happened in NY. I ordered 12 from Amazon and never bought one again. I have others that ended up in the house from people bringing food, gifts, etc but that’s it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-23-2024, 05:02 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,187,389 times
Quote:
Well that’s your fault for not bringing them with you. I have a set I ordered from Amazon when this crap first started in NY. They stay in the car. Then a few more that I have collected from other people.
I absolutely agree with you. I did the same thing and I will continue to keep using them even if the no plastic bags law is retracted.

EDIT:
Quote:
I still refuse to buy them. I have some I've collected over the years of these pointless edicts, but I mostly just carry my purchases individually.
Ok now I am confused. Do you still use the bags you purchase on Amazon or just carry your groceries or other products you buy?

Old 01-23-2024, 05:11 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Sorry I carry to the car usually, because like others, I tend to forget them. I use the bags to get from the car to the house. Plus I mostly shop at a big box store anyway so there its just cart > trunk > home.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-24-2024, 02:12 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

LOL, nice. That completely pass me, very good!

Old 01-24-2024, 08:25 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Now stores don't like people bringing their bags with them, apparently they are being used to steal things. They also got rid of all the baskets. Any NJ politician who pledges to end this nonsense has my vote.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 01-24-2024, 08:41 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
In the meantime...2 years later...it's not working.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

"Plastic consumption in New Jersey spiked by nearly three times following the state’s implementation of a strict ban on single-use plastic shopping bags, a study found.

"Following New Jersey’s ban of single-use bags, the shift from plastic film to alternative bags resulted in a nearly 3x increase in plastic consumption for bags," Freedonia Custom Research (FCR), a business research division for MarketResearch.com, reported in a study published this month.

New Jersey implemented a ban on single-use plastic bags in 2022, the strictest ban on bags in the nation at the time, billing it as an effort to cut back on the plastic one-use bags piling up in landfills."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/blue-stat...ing-rate-study

Old 01-24-2024, 09:57 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
In the meantime...2 years later...it's not working.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

"Plastic consumption in New Jersey spiked by nearly three times following the state’s implementation of a strict ban on single-use plastic shopping bags, a study found.

"Following New Jersey’s ban of single-use bags, the shift from plastic film to alternative bags resulted in a nearly 3x increase in plastic consumption for bags," Freedonia Custom Research (FCR), a business research division for MarketResearch.com, reported in a study published this month.

New Jersey implemented a ban on single-use plastic bags in 2022, the strictest ban on bags in the nation at the time, billing it as an effort to cut back on the plastic one-use bags piling up in landfills."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/blue-stat...ing-rate-study
The bag I have from Shoprite says 250 uses will save itself in plastic. So assuming I go to the grocery once a week, always use my bad, I will have positive in saving plastic after 5 years for one bag.

The way i read it is that 1 purchased bag is equal to 5 years worth of plastic bags.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Now stores don't like people bringing their bags with them, apparently they are being used to steal things. They also got rid of all the baskets. Any NJ politician who pledges to end this nonsense has my vote.
IMO, if Grocery stores want to stop theft then get rid of self service checkouts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey