Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 11:15 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
In the meantime...2 years later...it's not working.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

"Plastic consumption in New Jersey spiked by nearly three times following the state’s implementation of a strict ban on single-use plastic shopping bags, a study found.

"Following New Jersey’s ban of single-use bags, the shift from plastic film to alternative bags resulted in a nearly 3x increase in plastic consumption for bags," Freedonia Custom Research (FCR), a business research division for MarketResearch.com, reported in a study published this month.

New Jersey implemented a ban on single-use plastic bags in 2022, the strictest ban on bags in the nation at the time, billing it as an effort to cut back on the plastic one-use bags piling up in landfills."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/blue-stat...ing-rate-study
Hilarious! Who woulda thought it? Gee, anyone with common sense. Would have been fine if they allowed plastic for shop from home orders only. But hey, more evidence that no matter how much New Jerseyeans squawk about the environment, we as a people are not willing to inconvenience ourselves. Too funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 11:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
When I shop for myself I use nylon reusable bags. The problem is when I order from Instacart and they use store bags. We don't have a ban yet but they are going to in another year.
At home I have been buying plant based garbage bags. They are somewhat more expensive then the regular plastic but not much. Grocery stores ought to be looking at sorcing them for carry out groceries. If they charged 25 cents a bag they would probably make a profit on them. They could be made in any size/shape The brand I use is from Hippo https://hivebrands.com/products/hipp...plan=994050184

Old 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Now stores don't like people bringing their bags with them, apparently they are being used to steal things. They also got rid of all the baskets. Any NJ politician who pledges to end this nonsense has my vote.
Yeah, apparently you're either supposed to go through with a cart to get a small number of items, carry everything in your arms, or talk to no-neck in Loss Prevention.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:20 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
to save the environment, I think we need a law requiring disposable plastic bags on the federal level

Old 01-27-2024, 07:43 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Yeah.... I think this is a stupid law and I do have environmental concerns.

When I go grocery shopping for a relatively large family, I simply load everything back into the cart and don't use bags at all. I have foldable crates in my truck that I transfer directly from the cart. I actually found it faster when I get home to unload the groceries inside. I have also been known to unfold those crates and stick them right into the cart if I remember before going in to the store.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:22 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yeah.... I think this is a stupid law and I do have environmental concerns.

When I go grocery shopping for a relatively large family, I simply load everything back into the cart and don't use bags at all. I have foldable crates in my truck that I transfer directly from the cart. I actually found it faster when I get home to unload the groceries inside. I have also been known to unfold those crates and stick them right into the cart if I remember before going in to the store.
That is a great idea.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:32 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is a great idea.
For those that are interested, these are the folding crates/bins I use:

https://www.costco.com/greenmade-ins...000179775.html

If the cart is VERY full which often is (and I'm usually with someone), I will get a second cart(s) at waiting at the end of checkout ready with my bins unfolded. One person unloads the cart to the conveyor belt to be checked. I am at the other end loading the groceries into the cart with unfolded bins. Loading my truck is a simple as moving the filled bins to the vehicle and then into the house. Bins are larger than single-use bags so I make less trips to and from the vehicle.

Having the bins in the car also has proved useful in unexpected ways. Carrying things to and from a cookout or beach area. Used them to carry drinks and food to and from a party. Storing purchases so that they don't roll around in the trunk or truck bed. I even put my jacket in it for cushion when I was taking my friends small dog into the vet after he hurt himself. The other day, I unfolded one of the bins and placed on top a folded bin as a "top" of sorts (they don't stay unfolded upside down). I sat on it while I was having a smoke with friends.

They are also stackable unfolded to make more use of verticle space if you have a mini-van or hatchback. I keep a small folding dolly and bungee cords in the trunk. I can carry 2-3 of these bins in one trip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JOAP9O/

I do still collect a handful of plastic bags when I visit friends in PA where they still have bags. I use them for various things around the house like trashbags. I also do have a folding backpack that I use when shopping in a mall area. However, I still rarely use disposable or reusable bags these days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNGEHP6

Last edited by usayit; 01-27-2024 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-28-2024, 03:21 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Sorry I don't see the problem with the reusable bags? I bring them with me, when I hit checkout I put them on the conveyer and the cashier or bagger loads them, if theft is a problem then stop self checkouts.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:57 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I went to CVS Friday night, and I discovered that they now provide paper bags for free, next to the self checkout. They must have only recently started it.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:34 AM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I went to CVS Friday night, and I discovered that they now provide paper bags for free, next to the self checkout. They must have only recently started it.
For a while, Lowe's was doing the same thing. Then, they stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey