Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2024, 09:01 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I went to CVS Friday night, and I discovered that they now provide paper bags for free, next to the self checkout. They must have only recently started it.
It's illegal for them to do so. You're probably supposed to pay for them, though it's possible they don't actually have a system for that. In other states where self-checkouts at grocery stores have non-free bags, the self-checkouts ask you how many bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 03:47 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's illegal for them to do so. You're probably supposed to pay for them, though it's possible they don't actually have a system for that. In other states where self-checkouts at grocery stores have non-free bags, the self-checkouts ask you how many bags.

They weren't big bags, like lunch size. But they were just stacked in a holder attached to the self-checkout. Plain brown bags, no UPC code anywhere.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:06 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
They weren't big bags, like lunch size. But they were just stacked in a holder attached to the self-checkout. Plain brown bags, no UPC code anywhere.
Were they like the bags prescriptions get put in? I go to Rite Aid, the prescriptions still come in lunch sized paper bags. I assume those are allowed, since they never stopped. Also get paper bags from Bath & Body works as well.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:08 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
And there's actually a small Italian grocery in my town that still uses plastic bags with their name on them. I assume they had a boat load and weren't going to toss them, so....

Old 01-29-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Were they like the bags prescriptions get put in? I go to Rite Aid, the prescriptions still come in lunch sized paper bags. I assume those are allowed, since they never stopped. Also get paper bags from Bath & Body works as well.
No, they were at the front registers.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:45 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sorry I carry to the car usually, because like others, I tend to forget them. I use the bags to get from the car to the house. Plus I mostly shop at a big box store anyway so there its just cart > trunk > home.
Now that makes sense to me. I like that Cart, Trunk, Home nicely organized.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:17 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
I went to CVS Friday night, and I discovered that they now provide paper bags for free, next to the self checkout. They must have only recently started it.
They have been doing that at mine for at least a few months, but I don't know if it's longer because I hadn't been to CVS for a while. All of a sudden lately I am getting digital coupons for $$ off and for stuff I can use. I had stopped looking because for a while all the deals seemed to be for things I don't buy or use.

Anyway, yes, I like the paper bags by the self-checkout.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They have been doing that at mine for at least a few months, but I don't know if it's longer because I hadn't been to CVS for a while. All of a sudden lately I am getting digital coupons for $$ off and for stuff I can use. I had stopped looking because for a while all the deals seemed to be for things I don't buy or use.

Anyway, yes, I like the paper bags by the self-checkout.
I stopped going as much because the “40% off one item” coupon I used to get regularly is now 20%. The 40% just made it the same price as Walmart so 20% doesn’t cut it.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:26 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
California has the same problem -- people don't reuse the bags so plastic use for bags has gone up, not down. Guess what their solution is? It's not to repeal the ban. Instead, they're going to ban the reusable ones too. Presumably New Jersey will follow suit soon after.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:28 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
California has the same problem -- people don't reuse the bags so plastic use for bags has gone up, not down. Guess what their solution is? It's not to repeal the ban. Instead, they're going to ban the reusable ones too. Presumably New Jersey will follow suit soon after.
We are living in clown world.

Last edited by Kiru; 02-10-2024 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Apparently preview post shows emojis that actually won’t be posted…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey