Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 04:02 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, yeah I don't understand the problem. Been using the reusable bags and they're great.
It’s annoying in some ways. For instance, I use Acme pick up on Friday nights because there’s an Acme very close to where I work. I have an almost-hour commute and I don’t feel like walking through the store after working eight or nine hours. And I don’t pass anything else. But you have no option except to pay a $4.95 bag fee every single time. They don’t have an option of bring your own bags and pack it at the car like Walmart does. So if I do this weekly I pay an extra $20 a month and end up with a million bags I don’t need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 05:38 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
We just dropped off ~80 bags to Goodwill with other things we were donating. They said they don't resell them but leave them there and throw them out for us

After doing a bit more research, it seems the Community Foodbank of NJ would take them.

Personally I'm done storing them. I'll keep a few on hand but they are expensive single use bags for me.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:57 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s annoying in some ways. For instance, I use Acme pick up on Friday nights because there’s an Acme very close to where I work. I have an almost-hour commute and I don’t feel like walking through the store after working eight or nine hours. And I don’t pass anything else. But you have no option except to pay a $4.95 bag fee every single time. They don’t have an option of bring your own bags and pack it at the car like Walmart does. So if I do this weekly I pay an extra $20 a month and end up with a million bags I don’t need.
We are all paying more. IMO it's a small trade off for not walking through the store and standing in line. I still don't understand the problem.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:05 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
We just dropped off ~80 bags to Goodwill with other things we were donating. They said they don't resell them but leave them there and throw them out for us

After doing a bit more research, it seems the Community Foodbank of NJ would take them.

Personally I'm done storing them. I'll keep a few on hand but they are expensive single use bags for me.
You can always fill them with food to donate to your local food pantry.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I never in 40 years enjoyed a commute as short as yours, and I used to stop at my local Acme on the way home from the train!

I've never been into big shopping trips, though. I buy for two or three days at a time. If I can't carry it into the house in one trip, I've bought too much.

ETA: Oops, not true. After 9/11, they stashed us in Jersey City while they searched for new space in the city. So, for nine months I did have a commute of just under an hour. Ridgewood to Hoboken, then a shuttle they set up to the office in JC where they had us packed like sardines. I did enjoy the shorter trip for that time.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:14 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You can always fill them with food to donate to your local food pantry.
That's probably not a bad idea. However, then would have to buy food without bags to fill up those bags :P Maybe buy a few bags of food to donate and drop off my next load of bags when we get full again.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That's probably not a bad idea. However, then would have to buy food without bags to fill up those bags :P Maybe buy a few bags of food to donate and drop off my next load of bags when we get full again.
You take those bags TO THE STORE to buy food for those in need and fill them. You can even double bag to get rid of more.

I go to the store to shop, but in a weird twist, I ended up with a bunch of Shop-Rite bags. My friend looked outside her window one day and saw Shop-Rite bags full of food on her front porch, and she hadn't ordered it. She went out and looked, and it turned out they'd delivered to the wrong address. It was supposed to go to a neighbor in her same building in our townhouse complex who lived two units down.

She called the store and told them they had delivered to the wrong address and to come get the stuff and bring it to the right person. The store told her that they couldn't do that because of the rules of people not touching stuff or whatever once it was delivered. She then asked them to call the neighbor who was supposed to get the items to see if she would come get them, but they called back and said the woman and her son were sick, which is why they had ordered groceries. So, keep them, and we will send her a new order to her address.

There was so much food in those bags that she called me and another friend to come get some. The other friend is raising a child, so she took all the stuff that was for kids, but I got some good items, too. And a lot of Shop-Rite bags.

Well, they've come in handy for a couple of things, along with the other bags I already had. For one thing, like most people, I have too much crap in my house and I am trying to get rid of it. I donate to the veteran's organization that supports the NYC parade and picks up stuff from your house that I guess they then sell. Instead of boxes, I put the stuff in bags and left it on my front porch for pickup.

Now in my new adventure, I am temporarily renting a small apartment in the Pennsylvania city where my daughter lives to see if I like it here. I will have to live between two places and go back and forth until I figure out where I am going to land, so I brought as much from the NJ home as I could so I don't have to buy new stuff here. Dishes, pots, flatware, and so forth. I put it all into those shopping bags and put them in the trunk of my car. Easier to carry that way.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:03 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You take those bags TO THE STORE to buy food for those in need and fill them. You can even double bag to get rid of more.

I go to the store to shop, but in a weird twist, I ended up with a bunch of Shop-Rite bags. My friend looked outside her window one day and saw Shop-Rite bags full of food on her front porch, and she hadn't ordered it. She went out and looked, and it turned out they'd delivered to the wrong address. It was supposed to go to a neighbor in her same building in our townhouse complex who lived two units down.

She called the store and told them they had delivered to the wrong address and to come get the stuff and bring it to the right person. The store told her that they couldn't do that because of the rules of people not touching stuff or whatever once it was delivered. She then asked them to call the neighbor who was supposed to get the items to see if she would come get them, but they called back and said the woman and her son were sick, which is why they had ordered groceries. So, keep them, and we will send her a new order to her address.

There was so much food in those bags that she called me and another friend to come get some. The other friend is raising a child, so she took all the stuff that was for kids, but I got some good items, too. And a lot of Shop-Rite bags.

Well, they've come in handy for a couple of things, along with the other bags I already had. For one thing, like most people, I have too much crap in my house and I am trying to get rid of it. I donate to the veteran's organization that supports the NYC parade and picks up stuff from your house that I guess they then sell. Instead of boxes, I put the stuff in bags and left it on my front porch for pickup.

Now in my new adventure, I am temporarily renting a small apartment in the Pennsylvania city where my daughter lives to see if I like it here. I will have to live between two places and go back and forth until I figure out where I am going to land, so I brought as much from the NJ home as I could so I don't have to buy new stuff here. Dishes, pots, flatware, and so forth. I put it all into those shopping bags and put them in the trunk of my car. Easier to carry that way.
I like those nice white ShopRite bags for storing stuff here like vacuum cleaner parts, extra plugin cords I might use again when the devices I have that use the old ports with the white lines on them. I can use USB-A with USB-C but that other old one I don't know what it is called. So much I already gave away and I don't miss any of it. I forgot all about donating to the Veterans, thanks for letting us remember. I use to give to Goodwill but I was told they have become more like a corporation and make a lot of money selling goods for a high price and they keep most of it if not all. I now doubt they actually give the stuff away to people in need.

How the heck did you do all that traveling everyday. That would drive me nuts. I hope the salary more than made up for it.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:45 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I like those nice white ShopRite bags for storing stuff here like vacuum cleaner parts, extra plugin cords I might use again when the devices I have that use the old ports with the white lines on them. I can use USB-A with USB-C but that other old one I don't know what it is called. So much I already gave away and I don't miss any of it. I forgot all about donating to the Veterans, thanks for letting us remember. I use to give to Goodwill but I was told they have become more like a corporation and make a lot of money selling goods for a high price and they keep most of it if not all. I now doubt they actually give the stuff away to people in need.

How the heck did you do all that traveling everyday. That would drive me nuts. I hope the salary more than made up for it.
Goodwill never gave goods to people in need. Goodwill‘s purpose is to give people with disabilities jobs and vocational training. The items they sell at the thrift stores goes to job training programs.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:36 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Goodwill never gave goods to people in need. Goodwill‘s purpose is to give people with disabilities jobs and vocational training. The items they sell at the thrift stores goes to job training programs.
I never heard that. Thank you for letting me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey