Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 AM

14 posts, read 121,936 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the kindergarten registration cut off date for turning 5 years old in New Jersey? I read it was some time in December, now I am seeing October 1st as the date? Is there a website that I can check specific districts or is all of New Jersey Oct. 1st? My daughter will just miss this cut off, however, she is very ready to start school. We are relocating to NJ (actually NYC...but DH will commute) and this may be another deciding factor as to the area we move to. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 05:51 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times
Almost all of NJ is Oct 1st.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:17 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
As UKOK said, most of the state is Oct 1. You would have to check with the district where you decide to live.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:31 AM

240 posts, read 947,653 times
In South Brunswick it was December two years ago and they have changed it. Last year was November and this was October. It used to be September for the longest time when I was a kid. I taught Kindergarten when it was December and boy oh boy were they young coming to school! It was a deciding factor for some when buying a house if parents had children who were born in October and November to move to SB so there were many with the late birthday. Some are ready with math and phonics skills, but socially they needed another year of exploration and social interaction with peers. I am happy with the change.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 45,733 times
each town is different Monroe Township is Oct 31 while sayreville is Oct 1, East Brunswick use to be Oct 15 dont know if that changed. you need to call the school district and find out. I agree with Bored2day, my son made the cut off in Monroe and we had him held back. he wasnt as mature as the other kids and i felt he wouldnt be ok in 1st. dont rush the kid if you dont have too. They may be great in reading, math etc. but like bored2day said the social interaction is one of the most important things.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks! I couldn't agree with you more regarding placement in schools. I taught elementary school for many years and have seen the huge discrepancy in the classroom with late "cut-off" birthday dates (especially when you have so many other children being held back until they are ready...this means at one point in kindergarten having children 4, 5 and 6 years old in the classroom!) Anyway, she is our 4th child and she is without a doubt ready in the social area (and pretty much on target with academics). It is a difficult task to set K entry requirements. I have a sister in NE who is also a teacher. She said that there was talk regarding NOT allowing children into kindergarten if they were over a certain age. In other words, if you chose to hold your child back (evidently, there was a big trend occurring regarding waiting to send boys to school)-they had to go straight to 1st grade! The different educational approaches to solving the age discrepency are very interesting. As always, thanks for all the help!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulgirl View Post
Thanks! I couldn't agree with you more regarding placement in schools. I taught elementary school for many years and have seen the huge discrepancy in the classroom with late "cut-off" birthday dates (especially when you have so many other children being held back until they are ready...this means at one point in kindergarten having children 4, 5 and 6 years old in the classroom!) Anyway, she is our 4th child and she is without a doubt ready in the social area (and pretty much on target with academics). It is a difficult task to set K entry requirements. I have a sister in NE who is also a teacher. She said that there was talk regarding NOT allowing children into kindergarten if they were over a certain age. In other words, if you chose to hold your child back (evidently, there was a big trend occurring regarding waiting to send boys to school)-they had to go straight to 1st grade! The different educational approaches to solving the age discrepency are very interesting. As always, thanks for all the help!
WOW! I haven't heard of anything like that before! If they weren't ready for Kindergarten they sure won't be ready for first! Why would the school care if they are kept home for an additional year if they aren't ready? They are not repeating a grade and therefore being educated twice which is what could happen if they do not keep up with the other kids. The school is not losing anything. It is in the best interest of the child. I can't even grasp the logic at all from the school's point of view. Hopefully they will see that it really doesn't make any sense. I teach first now and would NOT want a child in my class who never attended Kindergarten. Again it is all about social skills. Too many parents push the kids and academics missing the social aspect. The kids pay in the long run. It is very obvious when you watch the kids interact.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:21 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times
Some parents will hold back a child (usually a boy) so he will be bigger and more mature in middle/high school for purposes of making the various sports teams. When a township sees a trend like this, they start taking remedial measures. However, some parents honestly don't think their child (usually a boy) is ready for school when the township says they are. A quandry.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Some parents will hold back a child (usually a boy) so he will be bigger and more mature in middle/high school for purposes of making the various sports teams. When a township sees a trend like this, they start taking remedial measures. However, some parents honestly don't think their child (usually a boy) is ready for school when the township says they are. A quandry.

Oh...I see. I didn't realize the parents were looking down the road at middle/high school. Maybe the "summer babies" or actually now it would be summer and September babies could come in during the summer for a week of evaluation to see where they are emotionally. I remember a testing system that was in place in South Carolina to determine high risk kids entering preschool. Who knows...maybe teachers and parents together can evaluate what is best for the kids. Or...just follow the cut off date with no acceptions.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:08 PM

Yep! That is exactly the trend that is going on in areas! It really stinks for my boys-they are at the low end of the "size charts!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey