Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 64,276 times

Advertisements

Hi, my son is going to be 4 years old in may. what is the entrance age for kindergarten in new jersey. also what is the basic requirement to be eligible for kindergarten ? which is the best elementary school in north brunswick, NJ? my son doesn't have any interest to learn alphabets or numbers . i am little worried. pls reply.
thanks
vismaya

Last edited by vismaya; 03-07-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
Children usually need to be 5 by a certain date (Oct 1); this varies by district. You can contact the Board of Ed and request an evaluation. He may qualify for some services. The school he attends depends on residence.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,927,113 times
Your son is not old enough for Kindergarten for next year. Most 2010-2011 Kindergarten round up will be happening in March and April. Once enrolled, the school will most likely test your son early in the summer. It's usually referred to as the "readiness assessment". From this bried one on one with your son, they can identify things that you need to work on during the summer.

It is usually expected that children entering K should know their ABC well. Your son is only 4. Children at these young age, 1 year is a long time. Lots of things could change and they pick things up quick.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,178 times
Call the school and have him tested. My son was kinda the same way and they had him go to pre K at the local school to get him up to speed. Even with that he had to go to developmental Kindergarten and transititonal first grade. Not that there was anything wrong with it, just that he needed that additional help. Now he's in regular first grade and doing fine.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Your son is not old enough for Kindergarten for next year. Most 2010-2011 Kindergarten round up will be happening in March and April. Once enrolled, the school will most likely test your son early in the summer. It's usually referred to as the "readiness assessment". From this bried one on one with your son, they can identify things that you need to work on during the summer.

It is usually expected that children entering K should know their ABC well. Your son is only 4. Children at these young age, 1 year is a long time. Lots of things could change and they pick things up quick.
Is it possible to enroll children in Kindergarten earlier than age 5? It's something my wife and I were considering for our oldest based on her development. I know back in ND kids born in like October could be tested to enter school just before their 5th birthday instead of having to wait a whole year and being the oldest in the class. My daughter was born in late January so she's probably not eligible based on birthdate, but could she still test in?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 AM

50,739 posts, read 36,447,875 times
I agree, call the school or ask his Dr. about getting him tested. If he has delays, he could be eligible for early intervention. Many districts also provide preschool at the elementary schools. I would definitely try to get your child into preschool any way you can. If he is not socially or emotionally ready he is not going to do well in kindergarten, and preschool will help him learn to handle the structure of a classroom.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,927,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Is it possible to enroll children in Kindergarten earlier than age 5? It's something my wife and I were considering for our oldest based on her development. I know back in ND kids born in like October could be tested to enter school just before their 5th birthday instead of having to wait a whole year and being the oldest in the class. My daughter was born in late January so she's probably not eligible based on birthdate, but could she still test in?
It depends on the school district but most will be very strict about the age cut off. They will not allow you to register (at leat in my district). They may allow kids who went to private Kindergarten to enter 1st grade (even that is with rare exception). They would do a re-assesment once the kid start Kindergarten and then move him/her to 1st grade.

One of my kid didn't meet the age requirement so I sent him to 1 full year of full day private Kindergarten. He completed it and I even have a letter from the private school with test results from the beginning and end of year. The school principal still insists that my kids go through the normal 1/2 day Kindergarten. He is bored and basically repeating everything he did 2 years ago (he went to private pre-K 5 as well).

My take on this.. It's not worth fighting with the school. If you feel your child is a advanced. Good, s/he will be more prepared but don't try to battle with the school. I've spoke to a lot of parents and have yet to come across one that won.

I son missed the cut off by 15 days. So it would make sense to let him in but their response is "what about the next kid that missed by 20 days?"

Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,638 times
Meh - I have a kid that missed the cut off by one day. One day! And I'm glad they did. I see no rush to get into K. Smart as they may be - read a little on how the youngest kid in the class does in teen years when it comes to making smart decisions on drinking and driving / sex / drugs. Research how your age in the class affects self esteem etc. IMO these things are much more important than my kid having to suffer though the letter of the week for 2 1/2 hours.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
Early Intervention ends at age 3. The school district picks up after that.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM

88,554 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Children usually need to be 5 by a certain date (Oct 1); this varies by district. You can contact the Board of Ed and request an evaluation. He may qualify for some services. The school he attends depends on residence.
Yes, depends on the town/district. My town was always October 1, but a friend in Bayonne had a daughter whose birthday was September 1 and the cutoff was August 31.

I knew quite a few parents whose kids made the cutoff but they elected to have them wait a year anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: