Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 07:15 PM

58 posts, read 343,162 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

We live in Brooklyn and considered moving to Fort Lee NJ. Of course the first question: how long will it take to get from Fort Lee to Wall St. office? Can I be creative about it (i.e. take a ferry, ride bicykle part of the way, etc.

How are the schools in Fort Lee? My kid is in PS 200 in Bensonhirt/Brooklyn. How Fort Lee school compared to Brooklyn?

thanks for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 12,439 times
Default Fort Lee

From Fort Lee to Wall Street it will take you about 50 minutes. There are many buses you can catch in Fort Lee that will take you over the George Washington Bridge to the 177th st bus station in Washington Heights. Shuttle buses are $1. There you can take the express A train all the way to Wall Street.

I dont know about the schools, but I know Fort Lee is very safe, and alot less congested than Brooklyn. There's a Starbucks, Borders, gyms, restaurants, night life, and Whole Foods nearby.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 AM

16 posts, read 62,487 times
There are many ways in get into the city. Fort Lee is safe and the school system is good. My parents grew up there as well as various family members.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 AM

171 posts, read 815,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLML View Post
There are many ways in get into the city. Fort Lee is safe and the school system is good. My parents grew up there as well as various family members.

Do you know if there are any after care programs at the school or private after school programs?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:19 AM

171 posts, read 815,284 times
[quote=sorcerer666;4780530]From Fort Lee to Wall Street it will take you about 50 minutes. There are many buses you can catch in Fort Lee that will take you over the George Washington Bridge to the 177th st bus station in Washington Heights. Shuttle buses are $1. There you can take the express A train all the way to Wall Street.

Can you drive to the ferry in Weehawken, and take it to downtown?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 62,487 times
I'm pretty sure all the schools have an aftercare program. That is probably your best bet.
Fort Lee is right by the GW, there are a ton of buses that go into the city.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer666 View Post
From Fort Lee to Wall Street it will take you about 50 minutes. There are many buses you can catch in Fort Lee that will take you over the George Washington Bridge to the 177th st bus station in Washington Heights. Shuttle buses are $1. There you can take the express A train all the way to Wall Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn76 View Post
Can you drive to the ferry in Weehawken, and take it to downtown?
sorcerer is right. also, you can drive to the weehawken ferry terminal and then park there; ferries from there go to three spots in the city: w. 39th st, world financial center (west side of downtown/financial district), and pier 11/wall st (east side of downtown/financial district). the ferry is a bit pricey, but if you're ok with the cost (for the ferry ride as well as parking), it's very convenient for commuting.

there's also a ferry terminal on river road in edgewater, but there's no parking (only a passenger drop off area) and the ferry only goes to w. 39th street. fort lee residents can get to the terminal without a car via a shuttle bus that leaves from the municipal parking lot behind borough hall on main street.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,362 times
I lived in Ft. Lee for about 20 years. I very much enjoyed it and because of that it's the longest I ever lived anywhere. It's a great town.

As far as the commute, I am going against the grain and will say less than 50 minutes. I used to various points in lower NYC for meetings, and while I would try to avoid 9am meetings, later or earlier would still get me where I was going in less than 50 minutes. As said, you have many options, just one being that you can drive to the ferry, park and ride. If you have any control over when you can leave, arrive, etc., you might pick up some time there. I can't speak to the schools, specifically, however from what I've heard they are good. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey