Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 07:24 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Gas is $3.05 at Costco, just filled up Sunday with it. Ill even link it for you.
https://www.costco.com/warehouse-loc...on-nj-315.html

The Tesla Model 3 depreciates 4 year depreciation rate is 58% per the bank. Lets just say you get the base model Model 3 brand new which estimate $50k. It will cost you $29k in depreciation alone or $604 a month in depreciation cost.

Who cares about the incentives. Registration is what $40 a year? The no sales tax is going to end at sometime soon.

A gas powered car should last you 15 years + without issue. If you have one that doesn't last that long its a lemon.

So maybe buying a 4 yr told Tesla Model 3 is the play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 07:32 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
No sales tax is a real thing right now. So again, you’re cherry picking. Even choosing Costco: cherry picking. If every NJ resident suddenly joined Costco and only got gas there, regardless of cost, it would instantly become the #1 reason to buy an EV. As it stands the lines of people desperate for $.10 cheaper gas at costco are already unbearable. I stopped shopping at the costco in Englishtown because I was annoyed at having to maneuver around them.

If you don’t understand that you’re cherry picking to create a scenario amenable to your chosen political agenda against EVs, I don’t know what to tell you. You’re still conveniently ignore that gas cars depreciate as well, and come with a whole slew of guaranteed maintenance that EVs do not have.

I just spent $1150 on brakes and a battery in a gas car that we barely use. The brakes in my Tesla will most likely NEVER need replacement, much less at 55k (I’m already way past that). And before you try it, my tires have 45k on them and don’t need to be replaced for about 10k more, exactly what one would expect from a gas car.

So again, its very easy for even semi-intelligent people to see through the BS. You should just stop. Remaining quiet on a topic you don’t fully understand is always an option.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-14-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
So maybe buying a 4 yr told Tesla Model 3 is the play.
I bought mine used. We also traded a lease at a ridiculous profit back then, and since EVs scared so many people, it wasn’t inflated like the gas cars were. I scored.

I was looking at a BMW that cost $5000 less but carried $3600 in taxes. My EV? None. So effectively I paid $1400 more for a car with more features, including the full self driving that I wanted, and near zero fueling costs compared to a car that would have required premium gas at 18 or so mpg.

Since I never had any intention of driving a base model corolla, that common comparison is irrelevant (I’m not directing this part at you fyi).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-14-2023, 07:38 AM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
As is necessary to push your chosen agenda, you’re cherry picking numbers that work for you.

For starters, gas hasn’t been $3.00 in NJ since well before I moved here, in 2021.

There are 4 Teslas available today. You of course chose the most expensive one.

You completely ignore the depreciation of the hypothetical gas car.

You completely ignore that NJ doesn’t charge tax or inspection fees for the EV, a massive savings when buying a new car without even mucking about in tax rebates.

Most gas powered cars do not last 12-15 years. Most people don’t keep cars for even 8 years and only 1% of gas cars make it to 200k whereas EV batteries are good for 300k-500k.

Then you magically swoop in with the EV6, a car that costs more overall than the Model 3, which again, you ignored the existence of.

You’re a cherry picker.
That is an innocuous term for what he really is.

The problem for some of us is that we would have no place to charge the car. I live in a townhouse/condo complex. We don't have garages.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:43 AM

That's a real problem, one that people who discuss these cars without political bias absolutely do not ignore. I'd never tell ANYONE they should buy an EV, especially not those who lack the ability to charge at home. That's where the real savings and convenience kick in. If there is one thing I definitely do not miss, it's the "5 minute" gas stops, especially living in NJ with stupid self-service only. As I've written here many times, self-service actually played into my decision to switch! I hate it.

Cherry pickers always have an agenda. With Danny we have plenty of experience: we all know that his is political in nature (as the anti-EV stance usually is).

As I always say, if you need to justify your gas addiction with cherry picked facts that a child could see through, go ahead, but don't expect us not to call them out. I need to ensure that those who do look at this topic honestly are presented with the truth.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:21 AM

10,487 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:
No sales tax is a real thing right now. So again, you’re cherry picking. Even choosing Costco: cherry picking. If every NJ resident suddenly joined Costco and only got gas there, regardless of cost, it would instantly become the #1 reason to buy an EV. As it stands the lines of people desperate for $.10 cheaper gas at costco are already unbearable. I stopped shopping at the costco in Englishtown because I was annoyed at having to maneuver around them.

If you don’t understand that you’re cherry picking to create a scenario amenable to your chosen political agenda against EVs, I don’t know what to tell you. You’re still conveniently ignore that gas cars depreciate as well, and come with a whole slew of guaranteed maintenance that EVs do not have.

I just spent $1150 on brakes and a battery in a gas car that we barely use. The brakes in my Tesla will most likely NEVER need replacement, much less at 55k (I’m already way past that). And before you try it, my tires have 45k on them and don’t need to be replaced for about 10k more, exactly what one would expect from a gas car.

So again, its very easy for even semi-intelligent people to see through the BS. You should just stop. Remaining quiet on a topic you don’t fully understand is always an option.
Also forgot to mention that insurance on a Tesla is 45% more than a BMW. Thats across the board too in all states. $2,574 is the national average on a Model 3 whereas a BMW 3-series is $1,100.

Ive run the numbers every way on a Tesla and it makes no sense.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:23 AM

10,487 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:
That's a real problem, one that people who discuss these cars without political bias absolutely do not ignore. I'd never tell ANYONE they should buy an EV, especially not those who lack the ability to charge at home. That's where the real savings and convenience kick in. If there is one thing I definitely do not miss, it's the "5 minute" gas stops, especially living in NJ with stupid self-service only. As I've written here many times, self-service actually played into my decision to switch! I hate it.

Cherry pickers always have an agenda. With Danny we have plenty of experience: we all know that his is political in nature (as the anti-EV stance usually is).

As I always say, if you need to justify your gas addiction with cherry picked facts that a child could see through, go ahead, but don't expect us not to call them out. I need to ensure that those who do look at this topic honestly are presented with the truth.
Oh the 5 minute gas stop. Have fun waiting 3 hours on a summer day off the GSP to fast-charge the car.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:31 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is an innocuous term for what he really is.

The problem for some of us is that we would have no place to charge the car. I live in a townhouse/condo complex. We don't have garages.
Charging at home is a definite problem for apartment/condo dwellers. I split the difference between an EV and a gas-powered car by buying a plug-in hybrid.

Most of my driving is well-within its 56 mile battery range, and when I take it for a longer drive, I engage HV mode, which causes it to operate alternately on battery/gas engine. When I use it in HV mode, my gas mileage ranges from a low of 42, up to (personal best, so far...) 70 mpg. On average, I refill the gas tank every 2 months. However, just like with an EV, the battery does need to be recharged, and I am able to do it in my home garage, so this wouldn't work for you.

And, on the subject of Costco, whether you use gas or not, their credit card makes a lot of sense, because you get a 4% rebate on both gas purchases and on commercial recharging.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Also forgot to mention that insurance on a Tesla is 45% more than a BMW. Thats across the board too in all states. $2,574 is the national average on a Model 3 whereas a BMW 3-series is $1,100.

Ive run the numbers every way on a Tesla and it makes no sense.
No it's not, another lie. Unlike you I:

1. Own a Tesla.

2. Priced insurance for both a Tesla Model 3 insurance and a BMW 3 series because I was actually shopping them.

Just stop man, jeez.

FYI, for those who aren't biased: my insurance went from $2400 annually for two Subarus to $2700 annually for a Subaru and a Tesla. Mind you the Tesla was also $30,000k more than the cheaper Subaru we traded in.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Oh the 5 minute gas stop. Have fun waiting 3 hours on a summer day off the GSP to fast-charge the car.
Why would I do that? lol

You're striking out more than a blind baseball player.

Can you point me to GSP reststop Tesla chargers?

Don't bother, there are none.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey