Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 11:00 AM

10,471 posts, read 6,991,011 times

Advertisements

The DMV changed from walk-in's to online appointments only, which sounds good but its near impossible to get an appointment.

I purchased a car from a private sale two weeks ago and am still waiting to get a license plate to drive it. Walked into my local DMV in Randolph - Morris County, and they said you have to make an appointment online and they no longer do Titles or Plates, only at specific DMV's.

Okay, make an appointment. If you go online, Fridays and Saturday appointments are booked out weeks to a months in advance. That give's you Monday - Thursday with with some days having no availablity to limited appointment times between their hours of ~9am - 3:15pm. Now I live in Morris County, which is the center of North Jersey. The closest DMV that issues Titles and License Plates is approximately 1.5 hour car drive away (round trip).

So now I'm on week 3, waiting for a license plate and need to take a half day/ day-off from work to show up to the DMV to get a plate.

What an absolute disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 12:45 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Agree, no reason for DMVs to be by appointment only.

I guess the slot availability is refreshed a few times a day, so you might have better luck if you try a few times a day. I just looked up and was able to find ample appointments at 3 locations, within 45 minutes drives from me for weekdays, and Saturday for November. Springfield, Sommerville, and East Orange have slots that might work for you.

https://telegov.njportal.com/njmvc/AppointmentWizard/8

Old 11-04-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Agree, no reason for DMVs to be by appointment only.

I guess the slot availability is refreshed a few times a day, so you might have better luck if you try a few times a day. I just looked up and was able to find ample appointments at 3 locations, within 45 minutes drives from me for weekdays, and Saturday for November. Springfield, Sommerville, and East Orange have slots that might work for you.

https://telegov.njportal.com/njmvc/AppointmentWizard/8
I've been refreshing. A couple slots pulled open for mid-day next week. Looking down in south jersey, there are no options and the next available opening down the shore is November 23rd. Who the hell is running this DMV and thought it was ok?

Old 11-05-2022, 05:10 AM

7,353 posts, read 3,527,265 times
the njmvc has been progressively getting worse even before covid. they really put the screws to the general public. I think it’s just a disincentive for people to buy used cars because they will do anything and everything to make it as difficult as possible. covid was the excuse they needed to make it more bureaucratic. it’s the perfect example of an ineffective bureaucracy. it never used to be this way.from the 1990s through 2018 it functioned just fine. wonder what changed?

Old 11-05-2022, 09:08 AM

1,839 posts, read 676,761 times
They went to appointments only, as they were taking covid seriously. They are still taking covid seriously.

But, you can likely get an appointments available in Salem, NJ. Just don't forget any item when you go in, as it will be a wasted trip all the way down there, and you need as you'll have to re-schedule.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:37 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,499 times
I'm one of the few who really liked the appointment system. Preferable to standing in line for hours -- THAT sucked.

We've gone to the Trenton location for plates for a few cars and got appointments within 2 weeks, and were in and out within 30 minutes total. Much preferable. I guess maybe they just need more sites to offer the appointments for the areas who can't get appointments quickly.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:46 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
It really is bad. When we moved here, my wife had a hell of a time switching her license… even though she previously lived in NJ for almost 10 years. I don’t remember the specifics, but I told her something to ask which ended up solving the problem because what they were asking for was absurd. I do remember that the lady was annoyed when she heard me yelling through the phone if illegals need to provide as much proof of identity as Americans do.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-05-2022, 10:00 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It really is bad. When we moved here, my wife had a hell of a time switching her license… even though she previously lived in NJ for almost 10 years. I don’t remember the specifics, but I told her something to ask which ended up solving the problem because what they were asking for was absurd. I do remember that the lady was annoyed when she heard me yelling through the phone if illegals need to provide as much proof of identity as Americans do.
Lol. Not surprised at all you had a hard time.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I'm one of the few who really liked the appointment system. Preferable to standing in line for hours -- THAT sucked.

We've gone to the Trenton location for plates for a few cars and got appointments within 2 weeks, and were in and out within 30 minutes total. Much preferable. I guess maybe they just need more sites to offer the appointments for the areas who can't get appointments quickly.
2 weeks wait for plates and you prefer the system?? I just had to cancel my monday 9am appt because work stuff came up. Now my next date is November 15. By that time ill be sitting on a car I purchased and I havent drove in a month because of this system. Why isnt there more outrage?

Old 11-06-2022, 04:30 AM

7,353 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
2 weeks wait for plates and you prefer the system?? I just had to cancel my monday 9am appt because work stuff came up. Now my next date is November 15. By that time ill be sitting on a car I purchased and I havent drove in a month because of this system. Why isnt there more outrage?
who you gonna complain to? Phil? The MVC commissioner? The NJ mentality is to not question or criticize our hard working, caring leaders. i am sure many NJ government apologists on this very forum will issue excuses shortly and make you feel stupid for even raising the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey