Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 11:47 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested in people's experiences with "cutting the cord" and using a digital TV antenna in NJ. How successful and satisfied are you with your TV reception? Can you get all the major TV networks out of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
All depends on where you live in NJ in order to receive a digital signal.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:10 PM

521 posts, read 991,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I'd be interested in people's experiences with "cutting the cord" and using a digital TV antenna in NJ. How successful and satisfied are you with your TV reception? Can you get all the major TV networks out of NYC?
Yes, I do get all of them (say CBS, FOX, ABC, PIX11, PBS, CREATE and others). Check online website where you can punch in your address and it will indicate the expected signal strength (assuming you have line of sight to the broadcast towers)

Old 11-29-2022, 08:29 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
Yes, I do get all of them (say CBS, FOX, ABC, PIX11, PBS, CREATE and others). Check online website where you can punch in your address and it will indicate the expected signal strength (assuming you have line of sight to the broadcast towers)
Are you using an internal or external antenna?

Old 11-30-2022, 12:58 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
It's the only "PROPER" way to watch television,,, in other words you are NOT supposed to pay anyone for that.
Realistically we get about 70 to 74 channels around most of Northern NJ but a LOT determines how decent of a shot you have towards the big towers and skyscrapers actually.

We do not actually see the NYC skyline BUT have a $5 or $10 antenna up outside the second floor window eave that gets "everything" in Southern Union County towards Middelsex.

I hope everyone knows you have to scan your TV then it knows who's on what channel. We still have internet Tv etc but mostly the kiddies and spoiled brats pretend to watch that. Everything REAL is FREE to ALL

Old 12-01-2022, 06:42 AM

213 posts, read 350,055 times
Use tvfool.com and enter your address with the height where antenna would be placed to get an idea on what all Channels you would get and which direction to point. The Mohu leaf antenna is one of the best indoor antenna if you live within 30 Mikes from NYC. But the best antenna s are the traditional yagi antenna best placed outdoor in the roof or in the sidings or in the attic. RCA has a great one which works as further as 70 miles. They sell it in walmart, target or best buy. Avsforum has lot of discussions on this and has NYC specific forum.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:14 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Use tvfool.com and enter your address with the height where antenna would be placed to get an idea on what all Channels you would get and which direction to point. The Mohu leaf antenna is one of the best indoor antenna if you live within 30 Mikes from NYC. But the best antenna s are the traditional yagi antenna best placed outdoor in the roof or in the sidings or in the attic. RCA has a great one which works as further as 70 miles. They sell it in walmart, target or best buy. Avsforum has lot of discussions on this and has NYC specific forum.
Thanks.

Just confirmed what I knew. Can't get diddly squat in South Jersey.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Are you using an internal or external antenna?
Internal. I got the small rectangular flat ones first and placed it right next to the TV on the first floor but I couldn't get the VHF signals (ABC and PIX-11) clearly (either due to height or due to the tiled kitchen walls in the line of sight)

Then I got another one (the metallic ones, with ring for UHF and short rods for the VHF) and affixed it in the second floor (where its only drywall and windows in the line of sight) and then connected it to the long coax cable run to the first floor. They worked like a charm. Shows me around 92% strength for all channels in my TV signal strength indicator menu.

I had also tried it in the attic because then I get a shorter run of the coax to the TV on the first floor. But I guess the thick roof reduced the signal considerably for some channels/frequencies. Plus it was sensitive to angle of installation.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
It's the only "PROPER" way to watch television,,, in other words you are NOT supposed to pay anyone for that.

I hope everyone knows you have to scan your TV then it knows who's on what channel. We still have internet Tv etc but mostly the kiddies and spoiled brats pretend to watch that. Everything REAL is FREE to ALL
You said it ! Last week or so, I purchased Hulu subscription since son wanted to watch the US - England soccer world cup match. A week later, I found that US soccer matches are available on the free FOX OTA channel on my TV !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey