Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 12:33 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
By whose standards? Why can’t the roads support more cars?
Depends upon what "roads" we're talking about.

Interstate, routes and other major roads are quite different than local streets.

As it is some local routes that basically also function as local main streets are crowded and quite honesty becoming more dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 06:38 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Just look at the bio's of your Planning and Zoning Commissioners. In most cases they're builders, bankers and developers. They'll approve most anything, the traffic it creates is of little concern.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:40 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
New Jersey's population grew by 700,000 in the 1990s, 400,000 in the 2000s, and 500,000 in the 2010s. With the average New Jersey household size of 2.7 people, New Jersey needs tens of thousands of new homes constructed each year to house New Jerseyans.

Where should these tens of thousands of homes be built?

Hudson County municipalities have done super work recently approving new homes. Last year, Jersey City, land area only 15 square miles, permitted more new homes - more than 4,000 - than each of New Jersey's 20 counties other than Hudson. The suburban and rural parts of the state have frustrated land owners from adding homes to their land. This is bad for New Jersey and its people.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:42 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
New Jersey's population grew by 700,000 in the 1990s, 400,000 in the 2000s, and 500,000 in the 2010s. With the average New Jersey household size of 2.7 people, New Jersey needs tens of thousands of new homes constructed each year to house New Jerseyans.

Where should these tens of thousands of homes be built?

Hudson County municipalities have done super work recently approving new homes. Last year, Jersey City, land area only 15 square miles, permitted more new homes - more than 4,000 - than each of New Jersey's 20 counties other than Hudson. The suburban and rural parts of the state have frustrated land owners from adding homes to their land. This is bad for New Jersey and its people.
I think we need to work on deporting illegal aliens first. Somewhere between 6-10 million have come in illegally since Biden became President. Assuming the encouragement will continue through his Presidency were looking more than that for the next 2 years.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 02-03-2023 at 08:00 AM..

Old 02-06-2023, 07:29 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I think we need to work on deporting illegal aliens first. Somewhere between 6-10 million have come in illegally since Biden became President. Assuming the encouragement will continue through his Presidency were looking more than that for the next 2 years.
I think we need to stop employing illegal aliens first. I encourage everyone to cut their grass, do edges and other landscaping themselves. Same goes for construction. Either get a written note from the landscaper/contractor that he doesn't employ illegal aliens or do all the work yourself. Also don't eat out or buy food outside and cook.

If that is done, there would not need to be any need to deport anyone and turn NJ into the police state. 90% of illegal aliens will most likely just leave...

Old 02-06-2023, 07:33 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think we need to stop employing illegal aliens first. I encourage everyone to cut their grass, do edges and other landscaping themselves. Same goes for construction. Either get a written note from the landscaper/contractor that he doesn't employ illegal aliens or do all the work yourself. Also don't eat out or buy food outside and cook.

If that is done, there would not need to be any need to deport anyone and turn NJ into the police state. 90% of illegal aliens will most likely just leave...
Up until sometime in the 80s, homeowners always used to do their own lawns. Sometimes they'd pay a neighbor kid to mow the grass. Only corporations had landscapers.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Depends upon what "roads" we're talking about.

Interstate, routes and other major roads are quite different than local streets.

As it is some local routes that basically also function as local main streets are crowded and quite honesty becoming more dangerous.
I lived in that area most of my life. When I started working at the PABT in 1979, I sometimes drove in because the North Wing was under construction and an area was blocked off for contractors and such and I could park there.

I would sail down Route 208 to get to 4, where I might start hitting some traffic. Then in the 80s, developers discovered NW Bergen and started clearing every bit of wooded land they could buy, sucked up all the old farms, and threw up McMansions overnight. Hordes from Hudson County and the city poured in, and 208 turned into a crawling parking lot. The old country roads in the area that go back to Lenape trails are snaked with cars all the time. It's bursting at the seams.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I understand this argument but every time I read it I can’t help but wonder, are the people looking to build and buy more housing selfish for inconveniencing the existing residents with added traffic and drain on town resources, or are the existing residents who oppose more development selfish for wanting to prevent the building of more housing where there is a clear demand? I would think a place like Franklin Lakes has plenty of room to support more housing. But then again, I can also appreciate the frustration of paying a premium to live somewhere with low density to then having to deal with high density.

In my town, they are planning on building a senior housing building. I thought this was a great idea because it’s another source of tax revenue without overcrowding the schools since seniors likely don’t have school aged children living with them. I can’t imagine much traffic being added because in my view seniors don’t leave their house as often. Still, people on the town Facebook page lost their minds over it.
Obviously rich Franklin Lake Nimbys don't want a new development despite the fact that there is land available to build on. But the more important problem is lack of all kinds of Infrastructure available to support this housing development. Unfortunately. most Americans are too short sighted to think about the Infrastructure or who is going to pay to expand and maintain it. The other critical factor is not worsening climate change and Global Warming...

So for example, the obvious problem mentioned here is of course transportation. I am sure local roads in Franklin Lakes and surrounding highways, etc, will struggle to support all these new cars form new residents. Given the amount of traffic that is in Bergen County already, there needs to be more local public transportation to accommodate new residents. Perhaps new light rail lines or BRT lines. But that of course need to be handled on a county/state level. But other then transportation, what about sewer lines, water supply, schools, electric? All of these will probably need to be expanded and enhanced to accommodate a large number of new residents. And the developers that are allowed to build and profit from new housing need to pay there fair share to expand this infrastructure.

Unfortunately though, the high level of corruption in the local Government and lack of accountability prevents this from happening. Developers are typically large companies with deep pockets who easily bribe AKA offer campaign contribution, endorsements, jobs, etc. to local politicians. The local politicians issue construction permits with perhaps slight corrections but never charge the developers for the full cost of the infrastructure needed to support their development. And then realistically mainly local taxpayers are forced to pay for the expansion/maintenance of schools, water/sewer lines, etc. And transportation issues are pretty much never addressed resulting in more and more traffic.

Thus developers benefit handsomely from this situation. They get richer while local residents see their taxes increase and/or see their debt levels increase through the issuance of the municipal bonds. This is typical corporate welfare, very prevalent in the US that makes rich even richer...

Old 02-06-2023, 08:09 AM

^Yup.

The joke is that those NIMBYs were not long ago the ones who turned a beautiful, semi-rural Franklin Lakes into the overbuilt, ostentatious ode to greed it is now.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Then in the 80s, developers discovered NW Bergen and started clearing every bit of wooded land they could buy, sucked up all the old farms, and threw up McMansions overnight. Hordes from Hudson County and the city poured in, and 208 turned into a crawling parking lot. The old country roads in the area that go back to Lenape trails are snaked with cars all the time. It's bursting at the seams.
More precisely, developers bribed local, county and state governments to allow them to destroy wooded land and build ugly buildings without any kind of architectural requirements and without thinking of expanding infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey