Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 01:41 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
We had a pretty long day out! We drove straight to Margate and started with Lucy. It was positively delightful! The gift shop was great and all the people were so nice. I couldn't believe how many people were there for the tour and everyone was truly enjoying themselves. I love the view from her eyes and I thought "her story" was great! Highly recommend a visit. There are some really beautiful houses there, just a gorgeous neighborhood. We did a couple of geocaches there and we got to see a nice war memorial. The water tower painted with the smiley face and has been repainted - no face! The scaffolding is still up so maybe it will come back. There is a tower painted with Lucy and you get a great view of it when you go up and stand outside on her back.

We then drove on to Ocean City and I'm so happy we did. We've never been and Point Pleasant really cannot compare! We were able to watch them make the taffy at Shrivers and we got to taste the chocolate-banana and it was still warm. Amazing! We didn't do any rides but we walked the boardwalk and got a bucket of french fries that were so delicious. Stopped for another geocache so we got to see another nice neighborhood. Then we drove to Little's Dairy and I learned that, of course, my 12 year old does not know who or what the California Raisins were and was dying laughing and mystified by that statue! The ice cream was delicious. We ended up getting "stuck in traffic" by the delivery of a prefab house. The house was on one truck and the roof on another. It was the perfect weird thing to delay us on our weird day! We stopped for another geocache in Barnegat and then headed home.

We didn't get to stop anywhere for wings because we're not eating meat on Fridays during Lent. I had originally planned to do this outing next week. When I was looking up the things posted here I knew we needed to go to the National Guard museum and that definitely needs to be its own outing. It was closed yesterday because of Good Friday, so I switched the days. I will let you know how that museum is next week! I have also discovered that you can visit the actual crash site of the Hindendberg. Definitely doing that, but you have to schedule and receive clearance in advance. I will report back when that happens.

Other things we didn't get to do - Smithville. I think also its own trip. I would love to explore the Pine Barrens and do some hiking in the area. I think we'll do a whole family day at Ocean City, but in Sept or Oct. I really loved it, but I cannot believe how many houses and buildings are there. I'm from NYC and even I think that is some densely packed construction! I might actually die of people if I went there on a Saturday in August! But we must play one of those awesome mini golf places. And have those fries again! (2nd only to Nathan's in Coney Island!!) My son was skeptical about the whole thing, but now he gets it and we really had a great time. Making the time to talk and laugh is the best way to spend vacation time. Still open to any other weird things or suggestions. LOL Thank you for all your help!
You might be interested in this book "Weird New Jersey". https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/weird-...dition=8378927

Have you been to the WEST side of Long Beach, NY? My Grandmother owned three bungalows there. Just a patch of sand in the front and the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey