Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 02:11 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times

Advertisements

While my 12 year old son is on spring break I'm going to take him on a day trip to see Lucy the Elephant. We're taking the parkway from exit 117. What other weird or fun things can you think of that we can stop to see or do? I would like either something weird, or a cool natural area/environmental center to stop at. What fun things can you think of between here and there?

The only places we've been farther down the shore are Cape May and Little Egg Harbor. Also - we like driving, seeing sites and listening to audio books so I'm not worried about "wasting my time" to see an elephant.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 02:53 PM

76 posts, read 107,425 times
Grounds for Sculpture is outside of Trenton. Not on the way, but lots of weird sights

Old 03-25-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjack2000 View Post
Grounds for Sculpture is outside of Trenton. Not on the way, but lots of weird sights
We went there last year and loved it. I do want to go back but I like that on its own so we can wander.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
Check out Smithville. I don’t know what it’s like at this time of the year as it is likely not its peak season, but it’s on the way. Full disclosure, I have never been there myself but just know of it. Also, Bass River State Forrest if you are into hiking. Other than that, it’s mostly just the beach towns, which are out of season, and Atlantic City, which doesn’t offer much for a 12 year-old.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:49 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Check out Smithville. I don’t know what it’s like at this time of the year as it is likely not its peak season, but it’s on the way. Full disclosure, I have never been there myself but just know of it. Also, Bass River State Forrest if you are into hiking. Other than that, it’s mostly just the beach towns, which are out of season, and Atlantic City, which doesn’t offer much for a 12 year-old.
Oh man. I was just going to suggest Ripley's in AC, but it closed permanently on December 31, 2022.

Closer to home, go to the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. Tons of pinball machines, from vintage 1950s to the 2000s, as well as old arcade games.

Similarly, you have Yestercades in Red Bank, as well as Jay and Silent Bob's comic book store, but if you are coming from 117, you probably already know about that. I like Silverball, though.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:14 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Your son needs to see a big raisin.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/16391.

If you stop at Smithville, take a few minutes and go over to Leeds Point. There's nothing devilish to see these days, but you can't be that close and not visit the birthplace of the Jersey Devil. There's also a creepy looking row of vacation cottages by the Oyster Creek Restaurant.

*The Edwin B Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge is just south of there.

Last edited by Gerania; 03-26-2023 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-26-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Your son needs to see a big raisin.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/16391.

If you stop at Smithville, take a few minutes and go over to Leeds Point. There's nothing devilish to see these days, but you can't be that close and not visit the birthplace of the Jersey Devil. There's also a creepy looking row of vacation cottages by the Oyster Creek Restaurant.

*The Edwin B Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge is just south of there.
THIS is what I'm talking about. LOL Now we're definitely going!

Old 03-26-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh man. I was just going to suggest Ripley's in AC, but it closed permanently on December 31, 2022.

Closer to home, go to the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. Tons of pinball machines, from vintage 1950s to the 2000s, as well as old arcade games.

Similarly, you have Yestercades in Red Bank, as well as Jay and Silent Bob's comic book store, but if you are coming from 117, you probably already know about that. I like Silverball, though.

I have been wanting to see Smithville. It looks beautiful. We might go another time when there's an event happening, but we could still pass by.

Yes, we are huge fans of Yestercades. We should go to Silverball, especially since I spend almost all my time in Yestercades playing pinball.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:37 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
If you love wings, and are hungry after seeing said elephant, please point your car 10 blocks north and make your way into Robert's Place. Wings served on a cafeteria tray. These are my favorite wings of all time. In my younger years I killed a lot of thought in that place. Everyone pays cash. You will thank me.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:45 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:

This place in AC looks like it would be fun for kids and adults.

https://www.theluckysnake.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey