Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 08:21 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Steve Fulop has officially announced his bid for governor:

https://www.nj.com/politics/2023/04/...r-in-2025.html

I remember a few years ago there was a lot of speculation that he would run. He would be replacing Murphy, who people think will run for President. Fulop seems to be a party favorite, so there's a good chance he'll be selected. He's a former marine, but known for his very liberal political stances.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 08:48 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
From the article:

"Meanwhile, Coalition for Progress, a super PAC tied to Fulop, has $6.2 million on hand that could boost his bid."

Who is funding this pac? Thats a lot of money. It clearly shows he will be the Democrat front runner.

Whatever we need to do remove these Democrats out of office. As part of a $15M taxpayer grant last week, Murphy gave an anti-white, hate group our tax money. Nothing but a registration for name for the group, but youtube provided the types of events they are performing with millions of our tax money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG3b0rUXjxQ

Old 04-11-2023, 09:22 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
96% of the American population has access to the internet. I don’t know why in 2023 politicians need huge campaign budgets.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
96% of the American population has access to the internet. I don’t know why in 2023 politicians need huge campaign budgets.
Money buys you advertising, and a campaign. Two governors effectively purchased the Governorship with their money are Phil Murphy and Jon Corzine.

Also, a large chunk of NJ State Teachers $991 in annual NJEA dues, have been going to Phil Murphy's campaign as dark money contributions.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Internet advertising costs money too, you know. You need to pay campaign staffers and data analysts as well. Other forms of advertising like TV, money for travel, website, etc. And last but not least, my most despised tactic of all, the damn lawn signs.

He likely is the favorite. Sweeney is teasing a run too…both teased in 2017 but bowed out to Murphy because of his war chest before there was even a primary at all. Nowadays Sweeney is a joke after losing to Ed Durr. He doesn’t stand a chance. No one else beyond Fulop would have significant name recognition at this point unless Cory Booker decided he wanted to run for governor.

Murphy won’t run for President if Biden seeks re-election. That’s a guarantee.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
I know ads cost money. But there should just be one central website where candidates upload their agenda and any associated media they want their constituents to see. Will their reach be as strong this way? No, but people who seek info can find it all in one place. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be allowed to raise any money but maybe cap it at like $10 million. $1 billion campaigns is just asking for corruption

Old 04-11-2023, 02:27 PM

444 posts, read 316,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Internet advertising costs money too, you know. You need to pay campaign staffers and data analysts as well. Other forms of advertising like TV, money for travel, website, etc. And last but not least, my most despised tactic of all, the damn lawn signs.

He likely is the favorite. Sweeney is teasing a run too…both teased in 2017 but bowed out to Murphy because of his war chest before there was even a primary at all. Nowadays Sweeney is a joke after losing to Ed Durr. He doesn’t stand a chance. No one else beyond Fulop would have significant name recognition at this point unless Cory Booker decided he wanted to run for governor.

Murphy won’t run for President if Biden seeks re-election. That’s a guarantee.
Mikie Sherrill is a name that has been floated around and she has name rec.

Old 04-11-2023, 05:10 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Steve Fulop has officially announced his bid for governor...I remember a few years ago there was a lot of speculation that he would run.
He has no chance at the nomination if Mikkie Sherril runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
He would be replacing Murphy, who people think will run for President.
He might be a decent choice for VP, but would be blasted in the primaries if he ran for POTUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
...a large chunk of NJ State Teachers $991 in annual NJEA dues, have been going to Phil Murphy's campaign as dark money contributions.
I'd ask you for a factual source for that presumption, but I know there is none.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post

He might be a decent choice for VP, but would be blasted in the primaries if he ran for POTUS.

I'd ask you for a factual source for that presumption, but I know there is none.
The powers that be will convince Sherrill not to run. She represents a major swing district, and keeping an incumbent running instead of an open seat is a big difference. Same reason why I wouldn’t expect to see Josh Gottheimer run.

It looks like Booker declined to run. The only other major figure would be Craig Coughlin, but I really think Fulop is the runaway favorite here.

I actually think Murphy would have a decent shot running in the Democratic primary for President if Biden declines to run. He wouldn’t be “blasted” anymore than any other potential loser in that battle. There is no VP slot for him though. If Biden runs, he will stick with Harris. So it’s 2028 or bust for Murphy, and I don’t see him wanting to take a VP slot.

Unfortunately for him, the primary schedule is not conducive to him, and well, the whole process is completely screwed up anyway, but that’s beside the point. Hard for him to find a lane because I think in 2028 it’s Harris and Buttigieg jockeying for position if Biden wins in 2024. If Biden loses, it’s going to be open season, and Murphy has a lane there.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post

A factual source, just plug the question into google. The NJEA has given Murphy 17.5 Million in dark money. Actually theres an interview with the guy running the NJEA admitting to the whole scheme of using teachers union money to fund their political donations to the Governor. If i was a teacher my blood would be boiling. I can provide hundred of documents of evidence. Journalists from northjersey.com broke the story again, last month as they were able to get NJEA contribution records. Actually the NJEA is Murphys largest source of dark money funding, its an entire scandal and scam.

https://sunlightpolicynj.org/njea-co...ng-gov-murphy/

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...on/7697947001/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...37%3f_amp=true

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-11-2023 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey