Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 06:23 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times

Advertisements

Memorial day weekend being busy and then quiet until July 4th weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 08:21 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Better hurry. the land is sinking and the sea level rising, see the shore before the shore comes to see you!

That's if you can find an affordable parking place.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:26 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Better hurry. the land is sinking and the sea level rising, see the shore before the shore comes to see you!

That's if you can find an affordable parking place.
There are no parking fees on LBI that I know of. I've never paid to park there.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:52 PM

182 posts, read 136,443 times
I’m a beach manger in southern Monmouth County. The beaches are already brutal on the weekends and the heavy traffic doesn’t cease until after 8pm throughout the week.

My cohorts on LBI tell me that this season has been comparatively light in terms of tourists thus far.

I would avoid the beaches over the July 4th weekend. It’s just too crowded.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:56 AM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
I’m a beach manger in southern Monmouth County. The beaches are already brutal on the weekends and the heavy traffic doesn’t cease until after 8pm throughout the week.

My cohorts on LBI tell me that this season has been comparatively light in terms of tourists thus far.

I would avoid the beaches over the July 4th weekend. It’s just too crowded.
Was at LBI this weekend and it was pretty empty, although Saturday wasn't great weather. Will need another 4-6 weeks before the water is even warm enough to go into. I think the shore is returning back to its post-Covid bump in attendance numbers. Also, this was my first time back down in LBI the year, and I was in awe at how much housing is changing there. It seems like every 100 year old bungalow or cottage has been torn down to put put up 4 story monstrosity of a $7M home on 1/20 of an acre lot. The neighborhoods are quickly changing from family homes, to some millionaires trophy house that he will visit 3 times during the summer.

Also, OP just an FYI if the weather is nice on July 4th expect the GSP to be bumper to bumper traffic southbound through exit 80 until 8pm on Friday (its like this every week, but extra on July 4th) and same Saturday Morning.

Also some beaches I'd completely avoid for the holiday are Pt. Pleasant and Island Beach State Park. Unless you're arriving before 8am you're not going to find parking.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 06-05-2023 at 11:55 AM..

Old 06-05-2023, 11:55 AM

965 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Was at LBI this weekend and it was pretty empty, although Saturday wasn't great weather. Will need another 4-6 weeks before the water is even warm enough to go into. I think the shore is returning back to its post-Covid bump in attendance numbers. Also, this was my first time back down in LBI the year, and I was in awe at how much housing is changing there. It seems like every 100 year old bungalow or cottage has been torn down to put put up 4 story monstrosity of a $7M home on 1/20 of an acre lot. The neighborhoods are quickly changing from family homes, to some millionaires trophy house that he will visit 3 times during the summer.
It really is insane. Property values are 2-3x what they were in 2019 seemingly, so economically I get why they're doing it. But something's definitely being lost in the process. Lotta range rovers with NY plates last time I was down there. North of Surf City feeling like Nantucket (or at least the Hamptons, ha).

Old 06-05-2023, 12:55 PM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
It really is insane. Property values are 2-3x what they were in 2019 seemingly, so economically I get why they're doing it. But something's definitely being lost in the process. Lotta range rovers with NY plates last time I was down there. North of Surf City feeling like Nantucket (or at least the Hamptons, ha).
It is insane, and its turning in Nantucket with developers gone wild. We were down in Long Beach Township, at least 20% of the homes there are brand new builds with for sales signs on their doors. None are listed on zillow either, i guess the market for someone buying a $7M home with 30 options in a 10 block radius will probably age out a bit.

I had always dreamed of owning a small little family vacation home there, and admired looking at the the unique beach cottages. Everything that is being built is cold and soulless and only available to the super rich now. Even with the old houses there was some islands natural landscaping, the new builds they ripped out the 200 year old pine trees and dumped rocks down so there is no upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey